Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Newstalk Programme/Presenter?

• 25-01-2006 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of said station and would have to say that my favourite programmes would have to be

Off the Ball
    The Right Hook
    Moncrieff
    Wide Angle

From those, I think Off the Ball would be my favourite. What is everyone else's choice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I'll tell you what it isn't!

Orla Barry. God, what a load of tripe it is - continuing newstalk's slide towards the LCD. Back to Radio 1 for me when she comes on I'm afraid!

Favourite: Moncrieff, no doubt about it. Bit of an irritating voice but his show and presentation style just appeals to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

NoelRock wrote:
    Orla Barry. God, what a load of tripe it is - continuing newstalk's slide towards the LCD. Back to Radio 1 for me when she comes on I'm afraid!

Yup.. every other show is great apart from that rubbish imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Off the ball is not bad.. However I couldnt listen to those goons for too long..One of them keeps saying "fuhhball" so much so I want to despatch the tranny into the next 'burb .... Theres a guy Early I think is his name, sounds like he is like Dessie Farrell on prozac .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Lunchtime with Damien Kiburd...I love the way he interviews people and kind of pretends that he doesn't understand some things that the interviewee says...he is just one of the best on Newstalk. Go Damo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Find myself flicking between The Right Hook and The Last Word on Today FM depending on the topic.

Also, Mr.Dunphy in the morning again depending on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I like Off The Ball, and I like The Right Hooke, but prefer The Last Word. Cooper ftw! All the shows are very good I think. nice bland review for ye there. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Moncrief is good. I also like that part of Damien Kiburd programme where they talk about places in Dublin and the history to them, Hidden Dublin. Find it really interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Larianne wrote:
    Moncrief is good. I also like that part of Damien Kiburd programme where they talk about places in Dublin and the history to them, Hidden Dublin. Find it really interesting.
    That's the Declan Carty programme from 11-12.30 that does the hidden Dublin feature. It's on podcast if you like it that much! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 *Novara.ie*

Damien Kiberd - Bizarre World

Every Wednesday, from 2 - 2.30 Resident Computer expert, John Paul Hayse, who is a Novara.ie Administrator, and Damien Kiberd share the Novara Knowledge Advantage with the shows listeners.

Email your computer related problems to info@newstalk106.ie, no problem is too big or too small for John Paul! :D:D:D

By far my favourite Newstalk show;) :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

caimin wrote:
    I like Off The Ball, and I like The Right Hooke, but prefer The Last Word. Cooper ftw! All the shows are very good I think. nice bland review for ye there. :D

You should apply to Sky to replace Niall Quinn.... you do a good line in blandness... ever so bland you are:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Sherlock

Sean Moncriefs show is very entertaining even if most of it is him reading out listeners texts!. He does have a number of regular contributors who are quite good. He had an excellent interview yesterday with the sleazy editor of the Wexford Echo who decided to out a local councillor because they felt it was in the public interest.
    Damien Kiberd I can't take as he seems to consider hinself a comedian with his regular quips in every feature he does, even they're usually unfunny though they crack him up.
    Off the ball presenters must have gone to some kind of sardonic school as everything they say seems to be dripping in sarcasm.
    George Hook is quite entertaining but as was said you can end up swithching between it and the Last Word (though Cooper can be irritatingly PC). Last night Martin Cullen was interviewed on both stations, immediately on TLW right after Hook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Moncreiff for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Sherlock wrote:
    George Hook is quite entertaining but as was said you can end up swithching between it and the Last Word (though Cooper can be irritatingly PC). Last night Martin Cullen was interviewed on both stations, immediately on TLW right after Hook!

Yeh I usually do this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Damien Kiberd - Bizarre World

Every Wednesday, from 2 - 2.30 Resident Computer expert, John Paul Hayse, who is a Novara.ie Administrator, and Damien Kiberd share the Novara Knowledge Advantage with the shows listeners.

Email your computer related problems to info@newstalk106.ie, no problem is too big or too small for John Paul! :D:D:D

By far my favourite Newstalk show;) :D;)
    what happened to the computer doctor guy? they seemed to love him in there but then he just disappeared and they didnt mention where he went!

Dunphys show can be good at times.
    Moncrieff if your bored in afternoon though sometimes the texts get boring and he can be annoying in his views,the philosopher guy he has on is good though.
    Hook can be good but the last word is usually better for intelligent debate/coverage.
    Off the ball can be good but the presenters can be pompous and overly sarcastic.
    Wide angle is good sometimes but yer one coleman can be a bit too liberal and feminist for my liking,she tends to do same topics a lot of time and that other stations covered already(basically not very unique)
    Media matters can be good.
    Orla Barry can be a bit headwrecking prefer radio one in morning.
    Kibard is good but fails to nail his colors to the mast and acts as if he doesnt understand a given topic,i have noticed he has become more right wing/conservative in his comments in recent months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

what happened to the computer doctor guy? they seemed to love him in there but then he just disappeared and they didnt mention where he went!

:D Novara.ie had an amazing marketing team perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

the arts and entertainment sho with sophie gorman or aine barry(i think thats her name, i enjoy it when i catch it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭kiss103

must say i can't abide moncrief , it think he comes across as a total twat, it just goes to show that different people have different hates/ dislikes as for me i can't understand how anyone could even tolerate him !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ah i think moncrief is a legend. haven't listened in ages (no time). but i used to be a fairly regular texter to the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

(re: Kibard)

i have noticed he has become more right wing/conservative in his comments in recent months.

I agree - I used to be able to tolerate him as background noise for a few minutes before Moncrieff, but now I'd rather have silence. He's really patronising into the bargain.

Moncrieff is really the only thing I listen to now on Newstalk, occasionally I'll tune in to Dunphy for the newspaper review in the mornings, but he has John Waters on an awful lot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PokerTony

I tune into Moncrieff most days which is usually entertaining but I can't stand that Henry guy when he comes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Moncrieff for me, only wish there was something similar between 12 and 2.30,Ray Darcy is kinda similar but a show which is a mixture of Moncrieff and Darcy would be great round lunch time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

there is a brand new computer expert on newstalk.
    Its wierd, the computer doc was there for ages, and now they seem to be just giving certain companies trial runs.
    I reckon they will drop the slot altogether soon enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Newstalk is great alright (although my number 1 is Radio Na Life despite me not being able to speak/understand Irish language :confused: )

There was a pair of presenters previously doing the 2pm slot that Moncrieff now has. I thought they were great - they did outside broadcasts talking to people of character in Dublin, eg. one of the petshops - seemingly well-known/legend in Dublin for years; they talked with some guy who runs a shop selling surveillance gear in Dublin (interesting to me); and they went up some tall public building in Dublin overlooking the work on O'Connel Street - and described the views across the city etc.

I wonder where those two presenters went to - they worked well together, the guy was a funny berk at times, and the girl was cheery all the time. Always brought a spark to their programmes.

hate the sports guy gilroy,pompous twat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭cor

I usually listen to Dunphy in the morning on the way to work, and George Hook on the way home. The Sports show at 7pm isn't bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

I really don't like Dunphy, would much prefer to listen to Morning Ireland if what they were talking about wasn't so terribly boring. When Dempsey on Today FM isn't annoying me too much I listen to him.

Orla Barry I actually like, but because of the time she's on I listen to Darcy when I can. If I'm working late I listen to her repeat.

I don't like Declan Carty's show. It really starts to get repetitive. On the other hand he has some good slots such as Hidden Dublin which I think is great.

Kiberd doesn't pretend not to know what he's talking about, he doesn't know. I used think it was an act, but I've heard him get plenty of facts totally incorrect. I think he's too quick to go for the witty quip and too slow to do his research. I do like his "Quotes of the Week" and "Muppet of the Week" slots on Friday though.

I never liked Sean Moncrieff on other shows, but he does a good job with his newstalk show. Wouldn't like to have a pint with the guy, but enjoy listening to his show.

I used not like Hook before I started listening to his show, but all that has changed. He puts so much effort into preparing a slick, relaxed and enjoyable show. There are a number of reasons I have no respect for Cooper as a journalist, but whatever about the competition I would listen to The Right Hook. He's a legend who puts in a hard slog every day.

The Sports guys are good. It's part of the charm of their shows, but one gets the feeling they were just left behind when everyone else left the building and they're just chatting about whatever comes into their head. The Cheltenham reporter started every report talking about how bad his bets had gone, and which of the staff had made a bit of money. Good fun all the same, just wish they weren't on so much.

As for weekend shows, I like the wide angle, Karen Coleman usually gives topics the time they need for proper analysis without allowing things to drag.

Down to Business and Media Matters are good but could both do with more topics. They tend to move a bit too slowly, even for a weekend show.

Nothing against the presenter, but I don't like the Arts & Entertainment Show. It's like the View on RTE, far too serious.

EDIT: I really like the Henry links, the clip of his enema last year was the best radio every recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 The Equalizer

I've been on the Orla Barry show 3 times and she was dead nice!! I'm a fan of the station to,so it was quite surreal to then end up on it!! Sitting in reception watching Dunphy walk out of the building with an absolute stunner on his arm. My stomach turned as I saw George Hook sleaze up to some poor girl that had an appointment with him!! Creepy!! Didn't get to meet Moncrief though. Boo Hiss!! I also like David Norris when he stands in to. He has an unpredictable quality about him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I can't really remember what life was like before Newstalk. Off the Ball is my personal favourite. Most days I go out of my way to hear the soccer show. I used to always record it but since podcasting I've become lazy and as a result am missing out. Speaking of, they need to sort that out. Each podcast is only a 20 minute segment and sometimes takes 3 days to appear. My only other quip would be too much Johnny Giles constantly on the station repeating himself, morning, noon and night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

A bit sorry to have missed all the newstalk discussion as I'm a pretty big newstalk listener myself.

Dunphy - I've stopped listening to him these days, sometimes the show turns into a John Waters fanclub, and its too political I think. I much preferred the David McWilliams show, although Dunphy has a good bit of sport which i do like.

Orla Barry - jesus christ how annoying is she. She is such a feminist prude. Someone was spot on in pointing out how she is constantly pushing her own opinion on whoever she interviews.

City Edition - gotta show some love for deco as no-one else wants to. City Edition is definitely one of my favourite shows, i suppose i'm interested in the content, hidden dublin is great, and declan carty seems to have a genuine interest in the dublin focused issues.

Lunchtime - I liked kiberd a lot but he's been gone for ages. That newsreader guy John something is doing well but needs to bring a bit more personality to it. I found the guy filling in before him (darragh o'brien i think) very boring.

Moncreiff - this is a good program, can be quite funny. Sometimes i get tired of hearing txt after txt. Henrys pieces are usually good.

Hook - I think hook is brilliant! He comes across as so much more likeable on radio than on tv, he's an intelligent guy and he has some great segments on his show. Tuesday travel is absolutely brilliant i think, the american guy on friday is pretty interesting (pretty funny guy with different perspectives) and I like hearing hook talk about the rugby with brent pope and ger gilroy.

Sports show - this is a very very good program generally. They cover so much stuff and i like the mix of people presenting. They also seem to be able to get great interviews and have input from some really good sports journalists (graham hunter is brilliant imo). Its nice to hear the wide range of sports they cover, although not being a gaa fan i do get a bit sick of the all the dublin gaa coverage they do.

As far as weekends are concerned, i think the business show is very good and the emmet oliver would be well capable of taking on a weekday show, i think hes good.

The arts show is fooking brutal in my opinion. I cannot stand the presenter (cant think of her name). Grrr she is not fit for radio she is rubbish. She takes ages to spit out every sentance and its generally not worth waiting for. (ok maybe thats harsh but its a bit true)

Anyway, just wondering do any you agree with that? What are peoples opinions on the arts show presenter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Moncrieff and Declan Carty for me! What's going to happen to Hidden Dublin now they have the quasi-national license?:( Maybe the bog listeners could switch over to a Medium Wave "Bog Edition" program while City Edition is on ;) )

Can't stand Off the Ball but then again I have little interest in the sports they cover.

Also, I know they are changing computer "experts" but there was one guy who used to drive me bananas, he was clueless and I lost count of the number of emails I sent correcting his "advice", he was dangerous for naive computer users!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

r3nu4l wrote:
    Also, I know they are changing computer "experts" but there was one guy who used to drive me bananas, he was clueless and I lost count of the number of emails I sent correcting his "advice", he was dangerous for naive computer users!! :mad:

Haha yeh i think i know the guy you mean. He was the computer 'expert' for the lunchtime show and he was very bad. The guy they have on the right hook is a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sophocles

You're all a shower of ****es! Orla Barry is a bradcasting genius!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Less of the abuse please. Do read the charter before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Listened for the first few days as an anorak and haven't bothered since. While Moncrieff and Hook had some appeal, it wasn't enough to make me a listener, and I couldn't stand the "Off the Ball" programme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The station has changed somewhat since this thread started but I'll weigh in with Hook and Moncreif and er David Norris! :eek: admitedly it depends if he is "riffing" well but this morning, for example his show was good fun.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Boy Wonders

I think the Lunchtime show with Eamonn Keane is UNBEARABLE, the man is in my honest opinion A FOOL!

Life with Orla Barry is lite waffle, but I'm sure it's grand if you like that kind of thing.

Moncrieff is a big Favorite, though I keep missing him cos I turn that Lunchtime show off, and then forget.

The new Morning show sounds a bit pained, I look forward to when they've relaxed into it a bit more, I miss Dunphy but there you go.

George Hook? Not really I'm afraid, too much the Old Man thing going on there for me, the TV ad where he says "minister i'm a patient man and I've asked you three times..." kinda finished him of for me.

Karen Coleman is great at the weekend for a real dose of serious debate, less opinion and more knowledge, which is nice for a change.

I don't know what happened their Media Show, but I used to like it.

Et, Voila!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I listen to Moncrieff whenever I'm on the road at that time.

I occasionally listen to Hook whenever Cooper is covering a subject that doesn't interest me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

r3nu4l wrote:
    Maybe the bog listeners could switch over to a Medium Wave "Bog Edition" program while City Edition is on ;) )

And what should the citizens of Ireland's 6 other cities listen to at that time ?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Boy Wonders

City Edition is long gone, they have Brenda Power on instead with a show called Your Call, I guess Cities Edition wouldn't have made a lot of sense!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

George Hook is my favourite. I didn't like him when he started, but he's grown on me. I like his interviewing style. His show is varied and interesting, covering both serious and softer topics. He always sounds relaxed and seems to enjoy what he does.

I was a fan of Today FM's Last Word under Eamon Dunphy. Matt Cooper isn't bad, but the Right Hook's just that bit better. As for RTE Radio One, they're just not in the running up against the other two. They made a huge mistake changing presenter and programme format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Splanc on Nrestalk where 2 hours is given over to conversational Irish should be enough to Radio 1 and the ever dire 2fm to shame.

Darra - well done.

Claire Byrne is also good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭holland501

anyone else think moncrieff looks the image of the red haired bloke from eastenders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

My favourite Radio show of all is Mon Creiff. Absolutely wonderful radio.

When i moved to Kilkenny i desparately missed the station I have to say, delighted its National but not as impressed with the daily line up.

I would listen from Eamonn to Orla to Declan to Damien to Sean to George!

Doesnt seem to quite have the life and zest in it that it had then but have improved in other places (ie sport coverage).

Still though, a great radio station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anybody listen to 'Taste' with Fionn Davenport on Saturday evenings?

I like him when he does the Travel Show on the Right Hook, but dunno if the show would be any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Moncrief is my favourite Newstalk presenter, and Karen Coleman annoys me because she always has a 'Middle East' Axe to grind (she is never neutral), and as for young Orla Barry ~ whats with the 'Every last breath' thing going on with her? maybe she is a Big smoker? but if you listen carefully you will hear her forcing out every last word before she takes a breath as if oxygen is in very short supply, breathe Orla, for God's sake Orla just breathe ~ please ............. :)

Dunphy had to go, he just got old and crusty & became a liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

ArthurF wrote:
    Moncrief is my favourite Newstalk presenter,

Like wise all though even though I am not into football and sports the banter in the evenings after seven by the Sports guys is very good. They have a great show and way about them. Very funny a lot of the time. Great eh Ironing radio....

I was driving home from the airport a few years ago when I first heard newstalk. While I was tunning the radio I came across a station and all I could hear was some bloke attempting to stop laughing so he could read out a text. Mnoncrief had people texting in bully type nick names they used for kids in scholl. . He was breaking his sh1t laughing. When he finaly read it out some guy had text'd in about a fella he went to school with who was missing* two toes, part of an ear.. some teeth and other bits. They called him "Incomplete Pete" :D

Ah you had to be there :(

Been a fan ever since though.

*May not be correct missing bits but you get the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Stylo

Gotta agree with MOST of the posts here but to me the best shows are Moncrieff, Hook and Late Night Live.

Deco was ok doing the mid morning slot but now, as a country bumkin, the 10pm show is just great - good panels - analysis - and a bit o craic thrown in too, tho JJ needs to get his sports tips a bit better - Paddy Power is good fun, but I wouldn't wanna back HIS tips

Word is that the absolutley brilliant Hidden Dublin is about to become Hidden Ireland is coming - but I've heard that before - c'mon DC lets get it going

One of Newstalks best IMHO:)

Worst preseter had to be Claire Byrne - she is so arrogent and "authoritative" on subjects that she doesn't have a monkey's about - example the recent sub-prime lending thing.
    Is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

ixus wrote: »
    Find myself flicking between The Right Hook and The Last Word on Today FM depending on the topic.

Also, Mr.Dunphy in the morning again depending on topic.

Is Dunphy back on the radio? What time is his show?

The Right Hook is brutal - don't know how anyone could listen to a twit like Hook.

• Advertisement
Advertisement