Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Problem with dsl speed tests

• 25-01-2006 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

I am with BT on the 3mb package and before it was upgraded from 2mb I was getting a constant 1.71mbps on irishisptest and now when I test it its at 782kbps down!

Now here comes the weird problem when I download a linux distro torrent I get 320kB constant so my connection must be in and around 2.6mbps. So why are all the dsl tests I have tested all report my connection as being in and around 780-800kbps. Oh and by the way my upload is fine it’s rocking along at 40kB/s

Posted this on another thread but it got buried and got no answer :( so I thought I would give it a shot on a brand new thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's a strange one. Could be that the isptest is under heavy load. I think one of the Blacknight guys posted the other day that it was experiencing a fair load recently but was well able for it.

What you could do is install Dumeter, I think there's a free trial, and download a big file from heanet. Dumeter will give you a better indication of the speed than the one reported by many browsers. Anything in or around 300kBps would be fine. Dumeter is reporting speeds of 320kBps fairly constantly on mine since the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I did a test on it earlier and it said I had a 40k download and 10meg upload :D

Look its just bolloxed right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

jor el wrote:
    That's a strange one. Could be that the isptest is under heavy load. I think one of the Blacknight guys posted the other day that it was experiencing a fair load recently but was well able for it.

What you could do is install Dumeter, I think there's a free trial, and download a big file from heanet. Dumeter will give you a better indication of the speed than the one reported by many browsers. Anything in or around 300kBps would be fine. Dumeter is reporting speeds of 320kBps fairly constantly on mine since the weekend.

Right I d/loaded DU Meter and got a constent speed of 320kBps on the 15MB file on heanet so everthing seems fine, but all other DSL speed tests (not only irishisptest) are giving me crappy d/load speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Try testing on the "news-europe" server on this test: http://www.giganews.com/test_connect.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

plazzTT wrote:
    Try testing on the "news-europe" server on this test: http://www.giganews.com/test_connect.html

news.giganews.com 2329kbps & on news-europe.giganews.com 2374kbps

So thats in and around 300Kb/s which seems about right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement