Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing mains water pipe from road to house

Options
  • 25-01-2006 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi,

We need to replace the mains water pipe from the road into our house as there seems to be an underground leak (sound of water running in pipes when no taps, heating etc are on) and also its made of lead, so probably not a bad idea overall!

Hoping somebody else here has been down this road before and I'd be most grateful for general advice on a few points:

1) whether I need to contact the council before getting the new pipe installed? In fact, is this possibly a (paid for) service the council may provide, like Bord Gais would when installing / fixing underground pipes in the driveway?

2) ballpark, how much would a plumbing job like this cost? Its about 2 metres of concrete floored garage and 15 metres of tarmac driveway from the point where the water enters the house to the road. I'm guessing the big cost is digging the trench for the pipe?

3) Any tips or ideas on how to reduce the costs? I'm assuming the plumber won't want to dig the trench personally, but may be able to give directions to a handyman on what is required? Or doing the trench a potential DIY job over a couple of weekends? :) I'm handy enough, but wouldn't want to damage existing gas / water pipes etc or try to make false economies. How deep roughly would the trench need to go and a pick and spade be enough to do it?!

Many thanks in advance for any tips even if they don't answer all the questions.

Mazza

PS Yes, I have contacted a plumber but he hasn't been out to see it yet... ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

The council are usually responsible for there side of the mains valve and you get the new main fitted from your side.

They are old rules so with all the stealth tax's don't be surprised if you don't have to pay for the whole job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 big_al

Hi Mazza,

before you undertake this - first confirm that there is a leak. South Dublin Co. Council did this for me last year and confirmed a leak. I wasn't there when did this, so I'm not sure how. They did say that a new 3/4" o/d (1/2" inside) would be required to run from the interior mains valve to their street valve. I was to undertake everything from the boundary, they would do the rest. So that's 60 feet of digging for me, 3 feet for the council :-/

If you do have a leak, lay your new pipe, unconnected at either end (leave enough to reach the street valve) and wait for the council to do their bit. That way you maintain supply.

When digging, hire an electric breaker hammer (the big bosch ones) and you'll have an 18" trench dug out in 1/2 a day. If you don't know exactly where the gas mains is, forget about it.

Also, the council did not charge when checking the leak or connecting new pipe. Although, they did install a water meter :-o

Hope this helps,
    big_al

Advertisement