Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another insurance question

Options
  • 25-01-2006 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a citroen ax and went to get some quotations today from insurance companies.
    Im 19 so im getting insured as a named driver with my dad (full licence for 30 years, no accidents or claims in 25 years,drives a 3litre ford st220). However this is where it gets very tricky. He has driven a company car since he started driving. And when i went to get a quote today,they said that they cant use the company policy ncb and apply it to this quote-which basically means he has to start his ncb off all over again. Now this adds an extra 800euro onto the quotes.
    Has anyone else here on boards with a company car had similar troubles and experiences?
    Hibernian said,if they get a letter from the company stating he had sole use of the car (which he does,as he doesnt trust anyone else to drive his car) then they could knock of some euros of the quote.
    Id appreciate any help with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Try allianz -

www.allianzdirect.ie

My wife took out her 1st insurance last year. They took into account that she was named driver on my policy for 8 years. I had to get letters from previous insurers to state

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I think we may have gotten our wires crossed.
    Im a first time driver looking to get insured as a named driver and then my dad as a main driver.
    The problem being with the no claims bonus earned while he's been driving company cars. Apparently insurers dont recognise it when he comes to insuring a private motor car. So according to them he has zero no claims bonus,despite 25 years claims free driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

The problem being with the no claims bonus earned while he's been driving company cars. Apparently insurers dont recognise it when he comes to insuring a private motor car. So according to them he has zero no claims bonus,despite 25 years claims free driving.

The same situation can exist when moving from a commercial policy to a private one. A person could be commercially insured in a van for ten years without a claim but if they change to a private policy in a car, some companies do not recognise their ten years claim free and make them start again.

so theres not much i can do,but stump up the cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Shop around

• Advertisement

so far iv tried hibernian-they will allow a discount if we get the letter/roughy 1350
    -fbd-wont go near us
    -aa-said they cant use the ncb so it would be Nil
    -then theres a few brokers who worked out dearer then going direct.
    -quinn direct was a joke, 3789.64 for the two of us.

They are the ones i tried today. I better double check tommorrow what the situation with the companys policy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Is there anyone else who can get insured on your car - Mother, uncle, etc.

Do you mean as a main driver instead of my dad? My mom only has here provisional so it doesnt work out any better. I could ask my grandad,but hes 80 now,so even asking him would rattle his cage too much. All aunts and uncles are in the states. Its not looking too good!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Some insurers will give your Dad credit for years of accident free co. car driving by way of a ex gratia ncb.

A word of warning though:-

If you fill out an insurance proposal stating that your Dad is to be the main driver of your AX, when you know that is incorrect, your cover may be voidable in the event of a claim.

You may get away with it, and may not.

You maight "get away with it" but might not.

To be honest,its not a case of getting away with anything. The reason for buying the car, was so i could learn to drive with my dad. Im not covered under his car by company insurance till im 25 so this was the next best thing.
    Im in college 9-5 so the only times id be using it will be to pick up my sister from school or taking a few lessons from the folks.
    This way when i get my test date,il be used to and comfortable with my car. I explained this to the hibernian women and she said it was acceptable and it wouldnt effect any claims we would make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

if ur a girl, ring topquote. i got my insurance thru them. im now insured with ladys plus-royal and sun alliance. best quote by far. if ur a fella..then i dunno

Advertisement