Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What .223?

Options
  • 25-01-2006 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

i'm shopping around for a .223, mainly to be used for vermin and a bit of range work. I'm leaning towards a Tikka lite stainless, so here is my shortlist:

Ruger
    Remington
    Tikka
    Brno
    Steyr

interested to hear opinions! I reckon the Tikka is probably the most accurate out of the box.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

What mod of Steyr are you looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Well, here's my Remington Model 700 LVSF (Light Varmint Stainless Fluted) in .223Rem-rem700lvsf2238ok.jpg
    More detail here- http://www.remington.com/products/fi..._700_LV_SF.asp

I like it a whooooole lot :D

Having said that, I've only had it a little over a week, and haven't had a chance to do much more than roughly sight it in yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv a .223 Tikka Tactical, havn't manged to put much more then 20 rnds through it so far though...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Just out of curiosity,

What are you using the .223's for? Vermin was mentioned...how big are they:D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

I have a CZ (Brno) .223. Very accurate with all the different types of ammo i can get for it and so far have taken 29 foxes with it.:)
    I am very happy with the rifle and caliber.
    I also use it on the range for target shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Hi There
    Of the four or five you mentioned there First Choice would have to be the remington 700 vssf. I have two one in .220swift and one in .308 and they are two crackers strong durable and very accurate. A mate of mine has one the same as Rovi's I fired it a few times when we were zeroing the scope shoots like a dream!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

What do you think of the tactical so far Rew? I've been considering getting one but it's pushing the buget a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Keelan: fine healthy foxes - what weight was the nearest one?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

fine healthy foxes

They didn't look to healthy to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I was also thinking of gettin this sort of calibre rifle so its nice to see all the positive replies about it

• Advertisement

Sputnik wrote:
    What do you think of the tactical so far Rew? I've been considering getting one but it's pushing the buget a bit.

Bit of a **** up on the suppliers (not dealers) end where they sent out standard tikka mounts not picatinny mounts. Its tapped for Tikka mounts but you have to remove the picatinny rail to put them on and thats well fixed to the reciver. I put 20 rnds through it without sights but couldn't hit a thing (shooting at 100m at dusk).

I love the weight and feel of it. Adjustable cheek piece comes up higher then you could ever want it. Mines a 20" barrel, but only because I didnt specify 20" or 24" and took what i got. Trigger is nice and crips, have to look at adjusting it next. Iv a vid of the shooting that ill post at some stage.

Rew if you don't mind me asking approx how much did you pay for it??? or how much would the 24" model cost

No price diff for barrel lengths AFAIK. My research was a bit lacking when I ordered and I thought barrel lenth was diff between calibers instead of an option on all calibers. By the time I realised it was a bit late to specify. After looking in to it (thread here some where) there seems to be very little differance in muzzle velocity between a 20" and 24" barrel with .223. There both approx 3000 fps. Im going to get it clocked anyway to see what the real figure is.

I got a deal from a friend on a package so I dont think the price is representive, but in saying that i do think you could get a similar deal by shopping around. From Irish dealers i was quoted 1500-1600 for the rifle alone. From the north or form a dealer who would be sourcing stock out side of the offical Irish wholesaler the were 1450-1500. Like I said worth shopping around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I have a CZ Remington .223 and I am very impressed with it's accuracy. I am currently using Sako 55gr soft point rounds and find them perfect for taking out foxes at long range (200+ yards).

I have also recently fitted a scope mounted lamp for night shooting and find this very effective if I am out on my own. Jeffers of Bandon Cork stocks them.

Cheers TJ911...

thelurcher wrote:
    Keelan: fine healthy foxes - what weight was the nearest one?

Not sure Lurcher. But he was heavy alright. Their is plenty about thats for sure. Their mating now, so they are easy to come across.;)

I was using Federal 40 grain Nosler ballistic tip factory ammo, deadly accurate and great knock down power for foxes.

I have also recently fitted a scope mounted lamp for night shooting and find this very effective if I am out on my own. Jeffers of Bandon Cork stocks them.

Cheers TJ911...[/QUOTE]

I agree with you TJ911. I have a light Force one, very usfull when on my own aswell. The foxes in the pic were taken last night on my own using this combo.;)

What are people paying for .223?

The Remmington 45 gr HP's i have are €13.90 for 20
    I was quoted €20 for 20 Sako game heads
    Local dealer has 55gr FMJ's (I forget the brand) for €9.50 for 20

Rew wrote:

The Remmington 45 gr HP's i have are €13.90 for 20
    I was quoted €20 for 20 Sako game heads
    Local dealer has 55gr FMJ's (I forget the brand) for €9.50 for 20

Rew, i am paying as follows:

Remigton 62 grain HP match= 30euro for 20.
    Remington 55 gr FMJ = 10 Euro for 20.
    Sako 55 gr Sp Game Head = 22 Euro for 20.
    Sako 50 gr SP = 20 euro for 20.
    Federal Premium 40 grain Nosler ballistic Tip = 25 euro for 20
    Federal V.shock 64 grain SP = 20 Euro for 20.

Its an amazing caliber, so much ammo and so cheap, i love it.:)

Rew wrote:
    Remington Premier Accutip-V Boat Tail (55 grain) - €29.95 for 20
    Remington Premier Express Rifle Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point (55 grain) - €24.95 for 20
    Remington UMC Metal Case (55 grain) - €8.95 for 20

What kind of effective ranges are you guys getting kills at. I don't want to hear of people saying that they have heard of guys shooting a field mouse at 2 miles or anything like that I just want to know what range you guys are shooting these foxes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

what price range would you get a good .223 for?
    are they easy to find second hand?

Dont think you would find many going 2nd hand. AFAIK they start at about 800 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Rew wrote:
    Dont think you would find many going 2nd hand. AFAIK they start at about 800 or so.

just spend a good bit buying a browning medalist over and under, will have to leave it for a while.

thanks

Rew wrote:
    Unfortunately so, the .223 is a pretty 'new' calibre here, so there isn't much in the way of secondhand guns yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Could always go the steyr Scout or the Steyr scout tactical.If you can get over their freaky look.Handled one,never shot it,has some nice features,[intergral bipod]lightweight,very fast bolt action for follow up shots.

Vegeta wrote:
    What kind of effective ranges are you guys getting kills at. I don't want to hear of people saying that they have heard of guys shooting a field mouse at 2 miles or anything like that I just want to know what range you guys are shooting these foxes

Most of my foxes are shot on the lamp, so i dont tend to go beyond 200yds.
    My longest shot at a fox with my .223 is 252yds in the daylight.

tuxy wrote:
    what price range would you get a good .223 for?
    are they easy to find second hand?

Havent seen a second hand one yet.
    My CZ .223 cost 800 euro brand new. Czs are one of the cheapest.
    Sabatie are going for around 750 euro or cheaper.
    Shop around to get the best deal.

800 brand new isn't bad, not great but definitely affordable, the Tikka on the other hand is not affordable as a second rifle!!! Hey CG how much are the steyr scout tactical going for in this country. I would try googling it but I would rather ask you guys and get some first hand knowledge on it!!

Just for the record, I gave €1300 for the Remington.
    That's the most I've ever spent on a gun, but it is a little jewel of a thing.

I try not to look at the MRRP (Manufacturer's Recommended Retail Price) in the States :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

To Rovi.
    Yes i know it would make you cringe when you see the RRP in the us i think for A Remi 700 its something like $950:eek:
    Just a question how do you get photos to come up on the therad i have some on my phone but i dont know how to get them on here??

Advertisement