Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What .223?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Some more CZ .223 results at dawn this morning, see attahcment.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Keelan wrote:
    Some more CZ .223 results at dawn this morning, see attahcment.;)

Holy crap man where do you live, and also what type of scope are you using does it have an illuminated reticle?? How do you dispose of the bodies or do you have many Fox dinners??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Two nice ones alright you must have been out early:D
    Did you just stumble accross them or did you have some bait down and lie in and wait?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Lads to be fair to anyone that dosn't hunt please be clear when your posting photos like this what the content is.

Vegeta wrote:
    Holy crap man where do you live, and also what type of scope are you using does it have an illuminated reticle?? How do you dispose of the bodies or do you have many Fox dinners??? ;)

I live in the SE, the scope is a S&B 3-12x50, very good clarity, crystal clear, its not a illuminated reticle, but is deadly in low light conditions.:)
    I sell the foxes, dont get much for them, but it pays for petrol and ammo.

• Advertisement

TomBeckett wrote:
    Two nice ones alright you must have been out early:D
    Did you just stumble accross them or did you have some bait down and lie in and wait?

Yes, i bait the area with permission and lie in wait.
    The foxes in the picture were lamp shy and were taking lambs regularily, they had to go.

Rew wrote:
    Lads to be fair to anyone that dosn't hunt please be clear when your posting photos like this what the content is.

Fair enough Rew. As i have said, the foxes were taking lambs at a regular basis, pure vermin control.
    If you want to remove the pic, feel free, i dont want to upset anyone.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

TomBeckett wrote:
    Just a question how do you get photos to come up on the therad i have some on my phone but i dont know how to get them on here??
    You'll have to figure out getting the pictures off your phone an unto your computer yourself, but once you've done that-

First-
    Re-size your pictures to something suitable for general viewing on the forum.
    ie. jpg format, no more than 600-700 pixels wide and 50-100KB file size.
    There's loads of software out there to do this, you probably already have have something on your computer to do it.

Then, either-
    Method 1

On the 'Post New Thread' or 'Reply to Thread' page, look below the text box where you're typing your stuff, and you'll see an 'Additional Options' section.
    There's an 'Attach Files' section with a 'Manage Attachments' button. Click the button. Follow the instructions in the pop-up window to post your pictures to the Boards.ie servers.
    They'll appear as links in an 'Attached Images' box, see Keelan's post above (#32).
    These links won't appear when you preview your message, but they will when you post it to the forum.

Method 2
    (this is the one I use, and how I get pictures to appear in-line)
    You'll need to put your pictures on the Internet somewhere.
    I use ImageShack (http://imageshack.us/).
    ImageShack is free, your pictures are hosted forever, they will re-size images to suit different purposes, and they provide you with the code to copy'npaste into your message.
    When you host a picture with ImageShack, they'll offer you a bunch of code options. I use 'Hotlink for forums (1)' as it matches the code conventions used by Boards.ie.
    Copy'npaste your chosen code into your message, click the 'Preview Post' button, and your message should appear complete with picture.

Method 3
    If you find an image on the Internet that you'd like to use in a post, you can right click on it and select 'Properties.' Copy the 'Location' bit and use the 'Insert Image' button on the message editor.
    That's the little yellow square one with a couple of 'mountains' and the 'sun' on it :rolleyes:
    Paste the 'Location' code for your image into the box, and the image will appear in your message.
    Be aware though, this is 'hotlinking' or 'leeching' and may contravene the fair use policy of the original site.

Go to the Test forum (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=361) to try it out.

Keelan wrote:
    Yes, i bait the area with permission and lie in wait.
    The foxes in the picture were lamp shy and were taking lambs regularily, they had to go.

Excellent Job Keelan, I love when something is done right, I was thinking of getting into this type of shooting myself, nice to see you getting results like these. Keep up the good work

Vegeta wrote:
    Excellent Job Keelan, I love when something is done right, I was thinking of getting into this type of shooting myself, nice to see you getting results like these. Keep up the good work

Thanks Vegeta.;) :)

• Advertisement

Keelan wrote:
    Fair enough Rew. As i have said, the foxes were taking lambs at a regular basis, pure vermin control.
    If you want to remove the pic, feel free, i dont want to upset anyone.:)

No need to remove just be clear in your posts what they are and people can make up their own minds if they want to click the link thats all.

to keelan
    You said your in the south east me too Foxs are very plentifull this year done the same thing myself a few weeks ago there were some dogs taking sheep on a local farmer so myself and a mate of mine were drafted in to deal with them:D you should see what a swift does to a sheepdog at 100yds:eek:
    anyway got the dogs then persuaded the farmer to leave the dead sheep in the field for two days got four foxs aswell:D

Hey guys (Tom and Keelan) I was just wondering would you recommend a swift over the .223 or are there any major differences between them. Other than the obvious that is. They seem like a very close calibre so why would one purchase a swift over a .223 and vice vesa. Does it come down to bullet weights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Could always go the steyr Scout or the Steyr scout tactical.If you can get over their freaky look.Handled one,never shot it,has some nice features,[intergral bipod]lightweight,very fast bolt action for follow up shots.

and how much would a scout set me back?
    im guessing alot :(

TomBeckett wrote:
    to keelan
    You said your in the south east me too Foxs are very plentifull this year done the same thing myself a few weeks ago there were some dogs taking sheep on a local farmer so myself and a mate of mine were drafted in to deal with them:D you should see what a swift does to a sheepdog at 100yds:eek:
    anyway got the dogs then persuaded the farmer to leave the dead sheep in the field for two days got four foxs aswell:D

Yes, i have seen how powerfull a swift is, it has raw energy, a freind has one for fox shooting, it litrally cuts them in half, which is good, because its a quick and painless death.

Vegeta wrote:
    Hey guys (Tom and Keelan) I was just wondering would you recommend a swift over the .223 or are there any major differences between them. Other than the obvious that is. They seem like a very close calibre so why would one purchase a swift over a .223 and vice vesa. Does it come down to bullet weights.

It comes down to the availibilty of different types of ammo for me anyways.
    The .223 has a wide range of factory ammo to choose from and is far more cheaper than the Swift.
    The .223 also has much less barrel ware and is much quiter, something to consider whilst out lamping at night. Recoil is less too .
    The swift however, has more of a range than the .223 and much more energy. Then again, how much energy do you need to cull a fox humanley.

Rew wrote:
    No need to remove just be clear in your posts what they are and people can make up their own minds if they want to click the link thats all.

Ok Rew, i will do this from now on.
    Cheers.:)

to Vegeta
    To be honest there is a fair difference between .223 and 220swift. The swift packs a far greater punch than .223 there is also a matter of range .223 is good up to about 500-600yds 220swift 1000yd+ depending that its blowing a gale of course i do a fair bit of practice with the swift and dont have a prob hitting barrell lids @1000yds
    of course then there is the price swift ammo averages at €40 per box thats €2 each:eek:
    so it all depends really on what your going to be shooting at if its foxs or vermin at 100yds-500yds then .223 would be the one to go for.
    you could of course go for a 22-250 not as powerfull as the swift but its more powerfull than .223 ammo is way cheaper too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Keelan wrote:
    Yes, i have seen how powerfull a swift is, it has raw energy, a freind has one for fox shooting, it litrally cuts them in half, which is good, because its a quick and painless deaf.
    That's why ear defenders are so important in shooting.
    :D

TomBeckett wrote:
    to Vegeta
    To be honest there is a fair difference between .223 and 220swift. The swift packs a far greater punch than .223 there is also a matter of range .223 is good up to about 500-600yds 220swift 1000yd+ depending that its blowing a gale of course i do a fair bit of practice with the swift and dont have a prob hitting barrell lids @1000yds
    of course then there is the price swift ammo averages at €40 per box thats €2 each:eek:
    so it all depends really on what your going to be shooting at if its foxs or vermin at 100yds-500yds then .223 would be the one to go for.
    you could of course go for a 22-250 not as powerfull as the swift but its more powerfull than .223 ammo is way cheaper too:)

So if the shooter is capable could he take a fox at 500 yards with a .223. I like the sound of cheaper ammo and less recoil. I am not a fan of heavy hitting rifles...people can call me a pansy but unfortunately I have a very bad jump reflex so loud noises combined with heavy recoil make me jump a mile. You should see me at the cinema when watching a thriller, my ass barely touches the seat.

Thanks for the info guys, now i suppose its back to the original posters question?? Which .223, I am liking the CZ Keelan has, I would love the Tikka but I'm not minted and the steyr scout tactical looks funky but if priced right might also be an option.

• Advertisement

I think he ment death not deaf:D
    Just picture it Foxs going around with ear muffs so if you miss with a swift the noise wont deafen them so there dead safe ha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Vegeta wrote:
    So if the shooter is capable could he take a fox at 500 yards with a .223
    Should he be taking a shot at that kind of range though?

Vegeta wrote:
    Thanks for the info guys, now i suppose its back to the original posters question?? Which .223, I am liking the CZ Keelan has, I would love the Tikka but I'm not minted and the steyr scout tactical looks funky but if priced right might also be an option.

The Steyr is more then the Tikka Tactical. There are cheaper Tikkas available as well.

http://www.tikka.fi/

posted by sparks:Should he be taking a shot at that kinda range tough.

Why Not? Providing that he knows thw lye of the land and its safe to do so
    I cant see a prob with it :)

T3 Varmint please, think I'll make some calls about a price!!

Sparks wrote:
    Should he be taking a shot at that kind of range though?

I agree Sparks, taking shots at this distance would require absolute knowledge of the terrain and backdrop. Personally I'd never take a shot like this as my ability as a marksman are limited and I wouldn't want to go hitting the animal in a non lethal body part only to have it die slowly in a ditch. I was asking just so I could get an idea of potential ranges.

I can read all i like on wikipedia about calibre sizes, muzzle velocity and bullet wieght but its not practical info from the horses mouth if ya get what I'm sayin

Vegeta wrote:
    T3 Varmint please, think I'll make some calls about a price!!

At a guess I would say 900 or so

Rew wrote:
    At a guess I would say 900 or so

That I could afford!! I'll let ya know

Dont forget the cost of optics, mounts and rings! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

I got a price of 1,200 for a Tikka T3 lite and 600stg from Tannyoky in the North. Apparently easy enough to bring down south.

Advertisement