Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What .223?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Burris do a set of 1" rings specifically for the CZ 527, part number 420140
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/rings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Rovi wrote:
    Burris do a set of 1" rings specifically for the CZ 527, part number 420140
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/rings.html

Thanks Rovi, Ill just wait and see what TJ says about what mounts he has, then make some enquiries.

TJ 911, was wondering, did you phone your dealer abot the mounts?
    Thanks.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Keelan wrote:
    TJ 911, was wondering, did you phone your dealer abot the mounts?
    Thanks.:)

I did, and I'm still waiting for him to get back as he can't remember himself. I will update you as soon as.... The best I can remember is they were 30mm rings, high mount, CZ527 was on the packet and he had to order them which took four days, so they possibly came from England. and cost €107.00. :)

I have seen the 1" rings for the CZ527 think they are high mounts as well for about €80.00 when I was in there last week.

Re reflection, no, I get a clear view ahead and only have to be careful not to lamp near gates / hedges etc as that does reflect back. Took the front ring off 'cos I did'nt like the look of it on there. :mad:

Thelurcher & Rovi, excellent websites, thanks for the info...
    Cheers

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Keelan,

Just got the phone call. The mounts are made by Millets for CZ527 models (not sure if correct spelling). For 1" rings high mounts they are €80.00 in stock now. For 30mm high mounts €109.00 & he will have to order them in for you.

He is a reasonable guy so he may possibly mail them to you if you send him a cheque if you were to go through him, talk to him, Marvin Jeffers, direct on 023-41133 (Jeffersports Bandon Co. Cork)

Hope that helps.... :)

TJ911...

• Advertisement

Trojan911 wrote:
    Keelan,

Just got the phone call. The mounts are made by Millets for CZ527 models (not sure if correct spelling). For 1" rings high mounts they are €80.00 in stock now. For 30mm high mounts €109.00 & he will have to order them in for you.

He is a reasonable guy so he may possibly mail them to you if you send him a cheque if you were to go through him, talk to him, Marvin Jeffers, direct on 023-41133 (Jeffersports Bandon Co. Cork)

Hope that helps.... :)

TJ911...

TJ911, thanks very much indeed sir, you have been of great help, i will contact him at some stage,
    Cheers.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Any more foxes with the .223 Keelan

Vegeta wrote:
    Any more foxes with the .223 Keelan

Just the 1 last night, it was a quiet night was not out for long.
    Pic below in attachment..:)
    It was a pretty big one, weighed in at 22 & a 1/2 pound:eek: , taken at 244yds.;)

WARNING: The attached image below, contains a shot fox, if you do not wish to veiw this, then dont. The fox was humanely culled to prevent further lambs being taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

very pc
    ge is not dead just sleeping with a rifle by his side to protect himself from a terribe person who is shooting up the neighbourhood:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

What scope is that keelan?

• Advertisement

Nice work he's a big fella alright, can I ask do you have several hunting grounds or are all these foxes being taken in the same area. I am going to get a .223 in the next 6 months and I want to put it to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Em Looks like a Schmidt & Bender??!

Rew wrote:
    What scope is that keelan?

Its a S&B 3 to 12x50 German, great clarity at dusk and dawn.:)

Vegeta wrote:
    Nice work he's a big fella alright, can I ask do you have several hunting grounds or are all these foxes being taken in the same area. I am going to get a .223 in the next 6 months and I want to put it to good use.

Hi Vegeta,
    That particular fox was taken on different ground then the others and that one makes 32 iv shot this season so far, low in coparison to my mate who has a swift, he has clocked up 197:eek: , so far. Iv just not had much time as him, otherwise ill be around the same.:rolleyes:
    Glad to hear you are going for the .223, fantastic caliber, love it.:)

Iv skimped on my scope atm to try get a better idea of what ill want out of a scope before i drop big money. That and ill buy one in the US not here when im spending alot.

BTW anyone using a supressor with their .223?

Surely using a moderator or supressor requires subsonic ammo or is that just a myth i picked up

Keelan, your mate has shot 197 foxes this season, that's just unreal, how is he getting rid of all the bodies. I know we have shot over 100 game birds this year and I swear to god if i ate one more duck breast or pheasant breast i think i'd puke. Its a real bother getting rid of that volume of dead animals

To silence a rifle you do, but to moderate/supress it you dont. You cannt take the "crack" away but you can tone down the bang.

Rew wrote:
    To silence a rifle you do, but to moderate/supress it you dont. You cannt take the "crack" away but you can tone down the bang.

Cool thanks Rew, is there any draw back to adding a moderator so!

Not as far as i know, it reduces recoile as well and some claim improves accuracy slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Keelan wrote:
    Just the 1 last night, it was a quiet night was not out for long.
    Pic below in attachment..:)
    It was a pretty big one, weighed in at 22 & a 1/2 pound:eek: , taken at 202yds.;)

WARNING: The attached image below, contains a shot fox, if you do not wish to veiw this, then dont. The fox was humanely culled to prevent further lambs being taken.

Keelan, would you be from the south west? And be very active on certain UK forums? Taught that fox was @ 244yds ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

[
    Surely using a moderator or supressor requires subsonic ammo or is that just a myth i picked up

Depends on how much money and technically advanced you want to get.Yes ,there are "silencers"out there that will handle full power ammo loads,but they are mostly custom made to the gun type.[IE FA SMGs etc]
    However they need to be repacked with internals or cleaned pretty often if used in full auto mode all the time.Plus even for normal rifles they are expensive!!But you will still get the Crack of the round going downrange,that is the toughie

For our use,a bog std 22 type silencer is best used with sub sonic ammo.Or heres a tip,pop a box of Std velocity 22lr in your freezer compartment for appx 2/3 months and you have some quiet ammo.:)
    If you are using say, a silencer on a big calibre semi rifle or pistol .Thats where reloading come in.You have to get the bullet to stay under the sound barrier.Thats what the actual Crack is,the sound barrier being broken.And get the action to cycle,usually a major feat.

forgot to add;depends on what type of gun you have that you want to ad the silencer to.If you are getting it threaded,make sure whoever does it knows what he is doing,and you might if you are using a scope readjust it to sub sonic ammo,as well it will be abit more barrel heavy.

Terrier wrote:
    Keelan, would you be from the south west? And be very active on certain UK forums? Taught that fox was @ 244yds ;)

Yes it was, i must of put it down rong:o Misprint.:rolleyes: Iv shot so many foxes so far, i get mixed up with the pictures.:confused:
    Sorry for the confusion.:o
    About my location, i try to keep that a secret if anyone on line asks me, for security reasons.
    You must be the fella from West of Ireland?;)

Vegeta wrote:

Keelan, your mate has shot 197 foxes this season, that's just unreal, how is he getting rid of all the bodies. I know we have shot over 100 game birds this year and I swear to god if i ate one more duck breast or pheasant breast i think i'd puke. Its a real bother getting rid of that volume of dead animals

Most of the foxes get sold, that are not get buried,:) .

I'm assuming you sell them to a taxidermist (sp?) or for their pelts, are ye getting much for them. Don't worry I wont undercut you when I start shooting them but it'd be nice if I could sell em to somewhere local.

Vegeta,
    Let us know if you do find somone local.I have been trying for years to find somone who will buy pelts.It's a hard enough way to make some quids.Last pelt I had done was done by a fellow in Kilkenny,who tanned it for me and thats ten years ago.This is my experiance of fur selling here.

If you are going to sell fur it has to be tanned before a fur dealer will look at it.An the only fur dealer here in Ireland that I can find is Barnados in Dublin.[Once you get into the shop through the mobs of anti fur,hunting and misc vegan crazies that occasionally lay seige to the place.:rolleyes: :D .]You wll learn alot about fur trading.
    1]They can get a huge volume of commerically raised pelts,of all types so volume isnt a problem,demand for fur is actually low here still.
    Russia& Canada can bury us in wild fur anyday of the week.

2]Of say twenty pelts you have,four might only be suitable to match up in a item of clothing,due to color match ,texture,etc.
    Fox isnt a big thing,unless it is artic fox[white].Sellers are mink,sable,chinchilla,and other types of bad temperd expensive rodent critters.:D

3] Smarter move I think is get a whole load of tanned fox pelts up to them,and ask them to make for you personally a fox fur blanket[about the size of a double bed] or throw rug.It takes a lot of fox fur and when it is done,you can flog it at a much higher price privately.Or have a very comfy and warm bed,or couch cover.:D

Shoot skin and tan plenty of mink.They are worth more,and if your missus or girlfriend isnt adverse to wearing fur.They will be ever so thankful [As will the local game pouplation]for a nice mink coat,that you personally shot ,tanned and and had custom made for them;) :D:D

Well CG i'd say i'll have zero success in getting rid of the fox pelts but I just hate shoting any animal for the sport. I'd rather eat the meat of game birds/ deer but if I end up shooting quite a few foxes I'm just a bit worried about disposing of the animals.

Just looking for good advice on how to get rid of dead vermin, burry them, sell them anything except throw them in a ditch to become food for even more vermin or incase they spread disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

can any one tell me how to tan rabbit what is required is it time consuming etc.

tanx

Vegeta wrote:
    I'm assuming you sell them to a taxidermist (sp?) or for their pelts, are ye getting much for them. Don't worry I wont undercut you when I start shooting them but it'd be nice if I could sell em to somewhere local.
    I sell them to a local fella, dont get much, anything from 3 to 20 euro, depending on the time of year.
    The last fox in the pic, i got 20 euro, it was a good one.
    It just pays for my petrol ect, i dont make big bux.
    Soon, he wont be taking them, within another week or 2, thats when ill stop shooting them, unless i get caled on a lamb call ect. I bury any fox i cant sell, its the only way to dispose of them without spreading any desease.

scout wrote:
    can any one tell me how to tan rabbit what is required is it time consuming etc.

tanx

Alum powder and salt mixed 60/40 a clean board hammer&small nails ,a relitively sharp,but not razor sharp knife.
    Tack up the skin on the board,pulling it out a much a possible,scrape thourghly get all meat and fat off.Rub well in with alum and salt.Leave to dry for appx a week in a cool dry place.I used to nail it to our woodshed door that got strong sunlight in the Summer,and helped to shorten the drying time.
    You will then have a pelt,but it takes practise,as somtimes you can over scrape or dry out the pelt to a point that it becomes too dry and stiff.It took me a half dozen times to get it right.

Vegta,
    Dont dump the carcasses get somthing out of them.Doesnt make sense to waste a natural resource either even if it is a fox.As well as the pelt the canine teeth are a trophy as well.If you must dispose of them by burying them
    make sure you dont bury them near a water supply,and throw some builders or quicklime on the cadaver to destroy it quicker.Also take latex gloves with you!!!Foxes carry transferable diseases ,everything from rabies to fleas and worms.

• Advertisement

general question to .223 owners, how many rounds were you given on your licence. The have me down at 50! :mad:

I asked to change it but was refused, wasn't the Garda I normally deal with though.

Advertisement