Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What .223?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Hello.
    Well normaly it is 100 rounds. a mate of mine has a .223 he only got it about five weeks ago and 100Rds is on his!!
    What diference does it really make anyway and is totally irish'ly stupid as they come in box's of 20 what are you ment to do buy 40 and split the other box:rolleyes:
    anyway just get 40 in one shop get 40 in another shop and so on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The number of rounds on the licence is a bit of a pain allright, but if you think 100 is low for .223, try air rifle where the smallest tin of pellets you can buy is 500... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Rew wrote:
    general question to .223 owners, how many rounds were you given on your licence. The have me down at 50! :mad:
    You're obviously not to be trusted :D
    Rew wrote:
    I asked to change it but was refused, wasn't the Garda I normally deal with though.
    When I went in to collect mine a couple of weeks ago, I also encountered a Guard I've never met before.

The conversation went something like this:
    Guard: Hey, there's only 100 cartridges on this thing; sure that's useless, do you want more?
    Me (hopefully): That'd be great, would it be okay to put down more?
    Guard: Yeah, no bother. How many do you want?
    Me (trying to sound 'casual'): Would 500 be okay?
    Guard: Right so. (scribbles out '100', writes in '500', signs and stamps licence)
    Me: That's great Guard, thanks.
    Guard: No problem, I don't know what they're doing, putting stupid small amounts on them like that, anyway.

Me (walks to car, muttering): I should have asked for 1000 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I'm in the same boat, limit of 100, can't get it raised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i just got a shotgun licence today with 25 rounds on it.
    so i guess i shoot a few clays, go back to the shop, shoot more, shop,shoot ect......
    wtf? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

tuxy wrote:
    so i guess i shoot a few clays, go back to the shop, shoot more, shop,shoot ect......
    wtf? :confused:

That's completely insane, go back and complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

why do ye get 100 on a licence if you asked for 10,000 what reason chould they give for refusal:confused:

you chould say i want to buy in bulk to save money:cool:

just on more thing reasons for a suppressor
    hearing protection
    polite to neighbours
    more kills

any other reasons:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

If your licence is limited, that's the correct amount. Default for an unlimited shotgun licence is 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

100 on my .223 cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

civdef wrote:
    If your licence is limited, that's the correct amount. Default for an unlimited shotgun licence is 100.

its unlimited , so it must be a mistake
    i will get it sorted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

Rew wrote:
    general question to .223 owners, how many rounds were you given on your licence. The have me down at 50! :mad:

50!!! Holy Moly thats ridiculous. So you can only posses 50 rounds in total or just have 50 rounds with you and more at home?

There I was looking in to my safe during the week and worrying that I was down to my last 500 rounds of .223. What happens if I get attacked by ZOMBIES! I'll only be able to hold out for a day or so. Better get to the gunstore and pick up a few more cases.

Rew what did the garda say about zombie attack Hmmmm? what are you to do then?

Babble wrote:
    50!!! Holy Moly thats ridiculous. So you can only posses 50 rounds in total...
    Technically, that's it! :mad:

The reality is, that while it's not exactly ignored, it's not strictly observed either.

Most people buy up to whatever the licence says, as the gun shop is supposed (:rolleyes:) to record the details of the sale, and you're not getting them in any kind of potential trouble by having them sell you more than they should. There's nothing to stop you going to a bunch of shops on the same day though, or from going to the same shop every day, or even several time in the same day if you can come up with some plausible reason for using up the ammo you've already purchased.
    Most gun shops will sell pretty much any quantity to known customers anyway.

You are in breach of the law though if you have in your possession more than the licence states, so it'd be a black mark against you if you found yourself looking at the judicial system from the wrong end.

I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for having more ammunition in their possession than their licence stated.

Another Irish Solution to an Irish Problem. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

So, if someone has a number of licences, is it the total quantity of rounds on all licences together that your're limited to, or the licence with the highest number of rounds?

LB6 wrote:
    So, if someone has a number of licences, is it the total quantity of rounds on all licences together that your're limited to, or the licence with the highest number of rounds?
    Interesting question!
    IANAL, but I've always assumed that it was the total of them all together.
    Hope I'm not wrong, or I'm an even bigger outlaw than I thought I was :(

edited to add-
    Just to clarify, I'm thinking of multiple licences for the same calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

IIRTAC ( :D If I Read The Articles Correctly :D ), it's the sum of them all together; but a bullet for one rifle technically isn't legally usable in another. Now as to how you'd enforce that, well, don't be a daft bugger :D

(It's not that strange a concept, mind - for smallbore shooters, it wouldn't be unheard of to have one batch for one rifle and another batch for another rifle.)

Tomorrow I am putting a deposit on a brand new Tikka T3 varmint in .223. I cannot wait to get it. I just have to hide the evidence from herself, luckily they all look the same to her and she wont notice a new one in my collection. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Vegeta wrote:
    Tomorrow I am putting a deposit on a brand new Tikka T3 varmint in .223. I cannot wait to get it. I just have to hide the evidence from herself, luckily they all look the same to her and she wont notice a new one in my collection. :D

Nice one, we will have to get all these .223's together for a shoot off one of the days :)

Cheers mate yeah it'd be nice to test out my skills

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Put deposit down today on Tikka T3 laminated stainless .223, lovely gun, great balance, crisp bolt. I'm sticking a Reflex supressor on it, one of the new ones only 3 inches long. Counting the days now for collection.

Read this just now! Jeepers!

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=7640&st=0

I presume they've sorted it out as the thread is a year old.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

It was a bad batch of steel and they recalled them, so all sorted now. Only effected the stainless steel ones I think.

• Advertisement

Put deposit down today on Tikka T3 laminated stainless .223, lovely gun, great balance, crisp bolt. I'm sticking a Reflex supressor on it, one of the new ones only 3 inches long. Counting the days now for collection.

Read this just now! Jeepers!

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=7640&st=0

I presume they've sorted it out as the thread is a year old.

Nice one isn't it weird that we put deposits on .223 rifles so close together, ah well good hunting/target shooting with it all the same, let me know how it shoots for you.

Oh yeah what ammo you thinking of using with it

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Can you shoot a fox with a .22 lr or do you need a larger calibre?

Is it illegal to shoot them with shotguns, with a slug or buck shot?

Thanks!

Foxes can be shot with a .22lr as far as I know and with a shotgun, I don't think shotgun slugs are legal here (could be wrong) but you would want to be careful as some slugs may not go through a standard shotgun barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Vegeta wrote:
    Foxes can be shot with a .22lr as far as I know and with a shotgun, I don't think shotgun slugs are legal here (could be wrong) but you would want to be careful as some slugs may not go through a standard shotgun barrel

I hope they are legal, my local shop sells them!!!:)

Yeah, I've shot a few rounds through the shotgun and they dont seem to be doing it any favours, probably since the shotgun barrel I have is not rifled and the slugs are.

Was thinking about getting a rifle sometime soon, either a .22lr, .22 magnum, or a .223 (but I'm not sure how likely it is to get the .223) I've been shooting for about 3 years with shotgun and target shooting for about 1.5 years but whether this would stand to me when applying to the Gardai I'm not sure!

I am about to put a deposit on a .223 rifle myself as the ammo is cheaper than most centerfire rifles and it has a pretty good rep in terms of accuracy and range. I know its easy to say the gardai have no reason not to give you the gun but they can be very awkward if they want.

If it isn't a price thing then i'd go with the .223

On the issues of slugs don't fire anymore through the shotgun, look for cartridges that have huge lead balls instead, we had cartridges with 9 big lead bearings, think they were SG or something like that, excellent for foxes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

for foxes just use semi-magnums fit in standard barrel or if its magnum go longer i use 40g 2's in semi magnum and no bother up to around 70 yards id say

for foxes just use semi-magnums fit in standard barrel or if its magnum go longer i use 40g 2's in semi magnum and no bother up to around 70 yards id say

what is a semi magnum

does it fit in a.22lr chamber ???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

its a shotgun cartridge

a normal cartridge is 2 3/4" a semi magnum just means an extra powerful versin

a magnum cartridge is 3" so can hold alot more powder and lead

i think 3.5" are being used now as well

k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

Vegeta wrote:
    you would want to be careful as some slugs may not go through a standard shotgun barrel

Yes very careful :D Unless you want to turn your choked barrel in to a metal banana. :eek:
    Slugs recoil like a son of a gun, more than once if felt like I just got punched in the face from shooting slugs. And that was just 2 3/4 inch slugs.

Advertisement