Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What .223?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

At a guess id say 1 in 9 so. Looks like they changed a year or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sniper2

thanks rew

Actually looking at the US catlogue it comes in both so dont take my word for it:

http://www.cz-usa.com/data/product/common/CZUSA%20Catalog%202005.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Rew wrote:
    havent seen many above 55gr around

I have Federal 64 grain Soft points. Got them for 21 Euro per 20 at Trapper Johns In Tulsk Co.Roscommom.:) They group half to an inch in my CZ .223 at 100yds.

Vegeta wrote:
    i'd prefer 60gr, I'll just have to shop around and buy as many as I can at the time. Really looking forward to getting this rifle!

Vegeta, Try Trapper Johns in Tulsk Co. Roscommon, he has Federal 64 grain Soft points for 21 euro for 20, they would be great in your rifle i would imagine.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

They sound the business anyway Keelan, he lives quite a bit away from me in county Clare but I can ask the local guys to get them in for me

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seamusgi4szw

Tanyoky guns have a ( brand new ) unshot/unused Blazer .223 for sale, second hand ?? No longer required by its owner. Could be a bargain although they are not cheap to buy. Best of luck. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

trying to work out which scope to put on the Tikka stainless, I don't think Schmidt and Bender or Swarovski do a silver finish, so it's down to Leupold or Zeiss. Any ideas? Do you reckon black looks Ok on a stainless barrel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

shallow arent we

Tikka recomend Burris scopes which do come ina silver finish.

• Advertisement

scout wrote:
    shallow arent we

When I was considering buying the stainless model I though exactly the same thing. No reason why a rifle cannt be functional and aesthetically pleasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Do you reckon black looks Ok on a stainless barrel?
    There's a picture of my Remington 700 in synthetic/stainless with a black scope on it in post #3 of this thread-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50769454&postcount=3

The scope is an old Kassnar 4x40 I had knocking about the place.
    I too had notions of putting a silvery/stainless scope on it (can we say "Bling?" :D), but I've gotten to like the whole 2-tone thing of the stainless metal parts and the black stock/scope.
    And, as it's essentially a hunting rifle, perhaps shiny silver isn't the ideal thing either.

As Rew said, Burris do nickel finishes of many of their scopes, so I ended up looking at those. I've ended up ordered one of their Fullfield II 3-9x40 scopes, in matte black.
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/fullfield.html

I'm particularly enamoured with their Ballistic Plex reticle-
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles.html

I'll let you know what it's like if/when the Commerce Department in the U.S. issue an export licence for it. :D

scout wrote:
    shallow arent we

Some of us have risen out of pure functionality and have an appreciation for visually pleasing items, you on the other hand, attempted an insult in an otherwise friendly board. I now understand your little jibe.

sorry that was not my intention i just dnt understand why there is a need for a silver scope when you usualy want to be inconspicous when shooting

my personal prefs are wood and blued mainly because i just need a functional gun

i am not critisising your stlye i just dont understand it and offence was not my intention i appologise:o

I had the option to get the tikka i ordered in laminated stainless but went for the varmint which has a synthetic stock and a heavy blued barrel. I am also a function over form (except when it comes to women ;) ) man.

The local gun club is building a fence around a pond to house raired ducks, I am going to be scouting the area nightly to shoot any foxes that try and take some easy pickins, cant wait to get this gun

Vegeta wrote:
    cant wait to get this gun

Are you still waiting for the permit vegeta? if so how long for? It should not take more then a month.

Keelan wrote:
    Are you still waiting for the permit vegeta? if so how long for? It should not take more then a month.

a but we dont live in a land of shoulds it should only take 10 days

Mine took 12 days :D

No Problem Scout, I will probably will go with a black scope, was just thinking that the silver scope would fit more with the stainless barrel. I am generally a traditionalist, liking my side by sides and wooden stalking rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

To Fathersymes..
    If you are going to go with the black scope I would suggest going for a Schmidt & Bender i have two of them on two Remi 700Vssf's one a Swift and the other a .308win-Mag and they both look smashing!!:p if i could get some photos to come up on here id post them:o Schmidt & Bender scopes really come into there own at dusk and dawn and are crystal clear they were orinally made to shoot by moonlight in germany and well lets face it the Germans very rearly get it wrong:D Do expect to pay in or around €1200-€1400 depending on model or if its illuminated rectile.. they also have a full lifetime guarentee if anything should go wrong (Due to failure not you bouncing it off the ground) just send it back and it will ether be repaired or replaced free:D

Hope this has been of some help:)

• Advertisement

Keelan wrote:

Yup I am but the guys in our garda station are very slow, i'll keep you guys updated anyway. I already have an air rifle license so i am hoping that'll stand to me when I apply for the .223 license

well I paid the deposit on friday and got the serial number monday so in fairness it hasn't been that long yet only a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Vegeta wrote:
    Yup I am but the guys in our garda station are very slow, i'll keep you guys updated anyway. I already have an air rifle license so i am hoping that'll stand to me when I apply for the .223 license

well I paid the deposit on friday and got the serial number monday so in fairness it hasn't been that long yet only a few days

I'm waiting over 11 weeks for my .223!! and still no sign of it. I already have 2 shotguns & a .22LR :mad:

Terrier wrote:
    I'm waiting over 11 weeks for my .223!! and still no sign of it. I already have 2 shotguns & a .22LR :mad:

oooh that's not good I'd be ringing and ringing until they got their thumb out

Terrier wrote:

Thats crazy. You should ring up and find out what is going on.

Keelan wrote:
    Thats crazy. You should ring up and find out what is going on.

All I get is big back log!! sorry..

Terrier wrote:
    All I get is big back log!! sorry..

It sounds as if they are holding you up to get more info on the caliber.
    Do you know of any .223s that are licenced in your district?

2 in my club alone.. and my dealer has sold plenty!!

Terrier wrote:
    2 in my club alone.. and my dealer has sold plenty!!

Then i would suggest wait and see what your Super says. If he refuses you, ask to see him in his office and explain everything i have said. If he is being stubborn and your a member of the N.A.R.G.C, then ring Des Crofton and tell him your whole story.
    Let us know how you get on.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jcatony

Rew wrote:
    What are people paying for .223?

The Remmington 45 gr HP's i have are €13.90 for 20
    I was quoted €20 for 20 Sako game heads
    Local dealer has 55gr FMJ's (I forget the brand) for €9.50 for 20

€12.50 federal American eagle

• Advertisement

€9 for American Eagle

Advertisement