Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What .223?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Rew wrote:
    €9 for American Eagle

Where is that from Rew? Are they hallow points?
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

FMJ Boat tails in a huntining and fishing shop in waterford. Its down near the sony center and superquin but i dont know the exact name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Rew wrote:
    FMJ Boat tails in a huntining and fishing shop in waterford. Its down near the sony center and superquin but i dont know the exact name.

Hey REW i see you have the .223 scoped, how is it going for you and what bullet weights are you using

Had very little chance to get out with it to be honest. Iv been busy nearly every weekend since i got it. Hoping as the evenings become longer to get out more. I would say it will be paddys w/e before I get a chance to shoot again. Iv only shot at 100m so far and took a 50c coin at that range. Had the scope off so I need to rezero now as well. Sorting some land close to me and then might start knocking on a few farmers doors as well. Actually if anyones shooting around East Kildare give me a shout.

So far iv only put the 55rg Fedral and Remmington FMJ's and 45gr Rem JHP's through it. Iv enquired about heavy stuff but no one has anythign higher then 55gr so far.

Rew wrote:
    Iv enquired about heavy stuff but no one has anythign higher then 55gr so far.

Rew, try Trapper John in Tulsk Co.Roscommon, he has Federal 64 grain SP .223 in.
    Pm me if you want his PH number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jcatony

Rew wrote:
    €9 for American Eagle
    Just about to apply for a .223 brno de lux. €775. How much do they charge for american eagle hollow points? Have you used this ammo? Any recommendations?

Haven't used the JHP's from American Eagle so not sure of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

hi guys
    swapped a marlin 17 hmr for a tikka t3 .223 a few weeks ago and local guard just changed licence on the spot ,great I thought and picked up my new rifle ,a week later he rang to say oops I made a mistake and you really need a new application,but I guess I,ve got one of the good ones,he let me keep the 223 out and new licence was issued in about 2 weeks ,
    I,ve used sako gamehead 55 gr(19.75/20) american eagle fmj 55gr(15euro/20) and rem accutips 55gr(30euro/20) the accutips are expensive but fantastic on foxes,sako good too but the tikka did not like the eagle fmjs at all (2in groups / 100)

marlin wrote:
    hi guys
    swapped a marlin 17 hmr for a tikka t3 .223 a few weeks ago and local guard just changed licence on the spot ,great I thought and picked up my new rifle ,a week later he rang to say oops I made a mistake and you really need a new application,but I guess I,ve got one of the good ones,he let me keep the 223 out and new licence was issued in about 2 weeks ,
    I,ve used sako gamehead 55 gr(19.75/20) american eagle fmj 55gr(15euro/20) and rem accutips 55gr(30euro/20) the accutips are expensive but fantastic on foxes,sako good too but the tikka did not like the eagle fmjs at all (2in groups / 100)

Hi Marlin, what did the other ammo group like?
    How do you find the Tikka T3, shot many foxes with it?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

hi keelan
    the sako gamehead and accutips both grouped under 1in at 100yd and about 1.5 ins at 200yds(my zero point )also shot some remington umc 45gr and they grouped very well too but point of aim was a little higher.
    I had a t4 silencer on the 17hmr and got the tikka threaded to take it and it works very well,big difference in zero with t4 on or off.just have the 223 about 6 wks and have shot 5 foxes so far ranging from 170yds to one fox that just would not stop coming in and almost had to hit him with the barrel lol.
    It,s a t3 lite by the way, scope is a simmons prohunter 6-18x40

• Advertisement

Thanks Marlin, sounds a accurate good rifle, just like mine.
    The .223 is the only way to go i think for foxes from now on.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭17REM

Hello all, just bought a remington vssf ii in .223 anyone got one? waitin for licence hopefully wont be long!!!!! what range is 223 good for not sure if i should have gone for bigger caliber?

17REM wrote:
    Hello all, just bought a remington vssf ii in .223 anyone got one? waitin for licence hopefully wont be long!!!!! what range is 223 good for not sure if i should have gone for bigger caliber?

You have made a good choice with the .223, plenty power for foxes.
    The .223 is good to 300 yds max for foxes although if lamping at night, i try and stick to max 200yds.
    If you zero inch high at 100, it will take you out to 250yds, good enough for lamping at night.
    In the day time, you can push this more to 300, if you can see your fox clearly.
    Aim at the top of the chest and he should go down.;)
    Best of luck, let us know how you get on with the permit appllication.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I was wondering where these posts had gone to lol. For anyone wondering they originated from the hunting pictures thread from the two fox pics I posted.
    Vegeta wrote:
    you lucky begger what a beautiful day to be out shooting, come on .223

Yes I am :D Quite happy now since it's my first fox dealt with alone! What .223 are you going for? My Tikka should be in the country in the next week or so, then off to the cops with the serial num. Tiny bit tempted to go for Sako 75 laminated but I've my Varmint stainless ordered already & wouldnt be fair to go back on what I ordered!

John

johngalway wrote:
    Yes I am :D Quite happy now since it's my first fox dealt with alone! What .223 are you going for? My Tikka should be in the country in the next week or so, then off to the cops with the serial num. Tiny bit tempted to go for Sako 75 laminated but I've my Varmint stainless ordered already & wouldnt be fair to go back on what I ordered!

John

same rifle but not stainless :D

My bro has a sako 75 hunter and while being a very nice gun its in .270 and has a very heavy trigger pull

may i ask how much you are paying for yours paying 959 euro for mine

Vegeta wrote:
    may i ask how much you are paying for yours paying 959 euro for mine

Tikka Varmint Stainless in .223 euro 1015.

What glass will you have on yours Vegeta? I'm at sea about mine so far.

John

johngalway wrote:
    Tikka Varmint Stainless in .223 euro 1015.

What glass will you have on yours Vegeta? I'm at sea about mine so far.

John

Thats pretty good I paid a good bit more for my Tactical.

Rew wrote:
    Thats pretty good I paid a good bit more for my Tactical.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed post where I'm getting mine or not?

He said 1050 originally until he phoned his supplier and they'd come down in price. I didn't argue :D

Now I just hope the scope, bi-pod and mod (if I go for one) have come down too ;) lol.

I seriously cannot wait to get it though :D

John

Yeah you can post it up. I actully got mine form one of the members of the board (Redstag) he gave me a great price on the whole lot.

Iv a feeling the Stainless Varmint has come down since they brought out the Super Varmint.

• Advertisement

Rew, in that case I have mine on order in Duffy's in Galway city. I could spend hours in there, they're probably sick of seeing me by now lol.

I actually don't know anything about the Super Varmint Rew, still if bringing it out benefits me I'm all for it!

John

Super Varmint is what you are getting plus an adjustable cheek piece and the ability to fit a picatinny rail.

Is basically half way between a Stainless Varmint and a Tactical

I only have a bushnell scope for it at the mo as i am kinda skint but i'll see about saving for a better one over the next few months

well i am still awaiting the licence of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

i'm applying for a 223 soon and i am wondering what is the best reason to say i need one all i want it for is casual shooting practice and maybe the odd fesent or fox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The best reason is the truthful one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Is it even legal to use a rifle on pheasants?
    They are game birds, after all.

Someone on here has a signature quoting another poster, stating the likely result of shooting a turkey with a 12 gauge slug. I'd imagine something similar would happen if a pheasant was hit with a .223.

civdef wrote:
    The best reason is the truthful one...

Well said Civdef :)

My reason is to do with my business, I don't think I'll have huge difficulties but who knows. I think it's all the better if you're able to show the need for one.

John

Rovi wrote:
    Is it even legal to use a rifle on pheasants?
    They are game birds, after all.

Someone on here has a signature quoting another poster, stating the likely result of shooting a turkey with a 12 gauge slug. I'd imagine something similar would happen if a pheasant was hit with a .223.

Good question on the legality Rovi. I saw my first ever phesants just this week, beautiful birds. Smaller than I'd imagined mind you. After seeing online what the .223 does to foxes, well, I hope you can season feathers BB lol.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

shotgun is bad enough if your anyway close to them unless you could hit them in the head they'd be wrecked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Shooting gamebirds on the ground is considered "Unsporting"
    Shooting a rifle at flying birds is just dangerous .

Draw your own conclusions ..!

Advertisement