Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What .223?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's considered so unsporting that there's been at least one court case where one shooter sued another (successfully) because of an accusation of shooting a pheasant with a rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Keelan wrote:
    Thanks Marlin, sounds a accurate good rifle, just like mine.
    The .223 is the only way to go i think for foxes from now on.:)

Keelan,

You still banging the foxes then? I haven't been out for a while but will resume soon. I am using the Sako 55gr SP with my CZ 527. They cost around the €22 mark for twenty. No complaints from this round from me and yes the .223 is the one for me for foxes....

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

so is shooting foxes the best reasons for a .223

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Trojan911 wrote:
    Keelan,

You still banging the foxes then? I haven't been out for a while but will resume soon. I am using the Sako 55gr SP with my CZ 527. They cost around the €22 mark for twenty. No complaints from this round from me and yes the .223 is the one for me for foxes....

TJ911...

Hi TJ,
    I have stoped shooting the foxes since march, unless i get a fox taking lambs ect, as they have cubs this time of year.
    You should try the American eagle 50 grain hallow points, they are deadly and cheap, at 12 euro a box of 20 you cant go rong, plenty for Mr Fox and accurate too.;)
    Scully guns and tackle in Athlone has them in stock, but id say any good firearms dealer would have them too.

babybundy wrote:

Yes, that would be a valid reason, it also helps if your a member of a good rifle club that has a centerfire range.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

babybundy wrote:
    Look, babybundy, no-one wants to rain on your parade here, but what we're all tippy-toeing around is the reality of firearms legislation and its implementation in this country.

While we all like to think of ourselves as responsible adults and are confident that we, personally, are no threat to the peace no matter what firearms or 'destructive devices' we may have, the 'powers-that-be' see things differently.
    As such, we have to justify our possession of each and every firearm on its own merits.
    Currently (and for the foreseeable future), the only officially acceptable reasons for civilian possession of firearms are hunting/vermin control and target shooting.

If your 'need' for a rifle in .223 falls into either of these categories, that's great and I hope your application is successful and you have years of fun and enjoyment with your rifle.
    Please bear in mind though, it's only very recently that responsible law-abiding shooters in this country have regained access to this and other fullbore calibres, and act accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Keelan wrote:
    Hi TJ,
    I have stoped shooting the foxes since march, unless i get a fox taking lambs ect, as they have cubs this time of year.
    You should try the American eagle 50 grain hallow points, they are deadly and cheap, at 12 euro a box of 20 you cant go rong, plenty for Mr Fox and accurate too.;)
    Scully guns and tackle in Athlone has them in stock, but id say any good firearms dealer would have them too.

Yes, stopped shooting as well due to cubbing season, however on standby should the farmer call upon my services if a lamb succumbs to the fox. I am up to my eyeballs in Sako 55's SP rounds so will try the American Eagle when stocks need replenishing...

Cheers...

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

dont worry rovi it would only legal use i was just looking for the best valid reason

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sniper2

Rew wrote:
    Bit of a **** up on the suppliers (not dealers) end where they sent out standard tikka mounts not picatinny mounts. Its tapped for Tikka mounts but you have to remove the picatinny rail to put them on and thats well fixed to the reciver. I put 20 rnds through it without sights but couldn't hit a thing (shooting at 100m at dusk).

I love the weight and feel of it. Adjustable cheek piece comes up higher then you could ever want it. Mines a 20" barrel, but only because I didnt specify 20" or 24" and took what i got. Trigger is nice and crips, have to look at adjusting it next. Iv a vid of the shooting that ill post at some stage.
    wel rew how are you getting on with your tactical,one on the way to me,its a 20" barrel as wel,any info would be great

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Great rifle, very happy with it. Protect your investment buy decent cleaning gear for it. Alot of carbon left in the barrel even after a few shots.

Iv a Hawke scope on it. Good scope but im going to sell it and replace it with a Leupold while I can afford to. Make sure u get decent mounts. Its very accuret, with no effort iv shot sub 1" groups @ 100m.

Heavy rifle dont expect to be taking too many shots from the shoulder! Few people have taken shots on it and were impressed.

My dealer is east cork based, gave me a great deal I can pass on the info to you if you haven't already paid.

• Advertisement

sound,got a good deal myself and its on the way,what about long range,how does the 20" barrel perform and what about a muzzle break,want one because a) it looks great and b) cause it looks great.I know it has a job but not sure wat cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

what does a muzzel brake do?

im guessing here,reduces flash and helps with recoil and looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

muzzel breaks are either a) completely illegal or b) need a seperate licence, if i recall correctly

What calibre are you getting it in, if its .223, i doubt you will need a muzzel break as their purpose is to vent gas in a perpendicular (to the barrel) fashion which reduces recoil. There wont be much from a .223 anyway

Rew wrote:
    Great rifle, very happy with it. Protect your investment buy decent cleaning gear for it. Alot of carbon left in the barrel even after a few shots.

Iv a Hawke scope on it. Good scope but im going to sell it and replace it with a Leupold while I can afford to. Make sure u get decent mounts. Its very accuret, with no effort iv shot sub 1" groups @ 100m.

Heavy rifle dont expect to be taking too many shots from the shoulder! Few people have taken shots on it and were impressed.

My dealer is east cork based, gave me a great deal I can pass on the info to you if you haven't already paid.

what kind of Hawke scope and how much Rew???

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

sniper2 wrote:
    im guessing here,reduces flash and helps with recoil and looks great

Have a muzzle break on my T3 Tactical and got to admit it looks great!! :D

Terrier wrote:
    Have a muzzle break on my T3 Tactical and got to admit it looks great!! :D

jaysus maybe i am wrong so but i thought you needed a licence for that,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Doesn't a muzzle break also make the gun louder? Am standing by to be corrected on that though, perhaps it was said in reference to ranges and percieved noise by other shooters.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

johngalway wrote:
    Doesn't a muzzle break also make the gun louder? Am standing by to be corrected on that though, perhaps it was said in reference to ranges and percieved noise by other shooters.John

A lot louder for the shooter I can tell you!
    I would not like to be positioned beside one on a range!! :eek:

As for the licence I never heard of one for a muzzle break?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

There is no requirement for a licence for a muzzle break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

civdef wrote:
    I'm in the same boat, limit of 100, can't get it raised.

HEY CIVDEF
    I have 500 on my licence only have the licence a month and im under 21. Never got it raised thats what it came with, its an unlimited licence!

is this unusual???

newby.204 wrote:
    HEY CIVDEF
    I have 500 on my licence only have the licence a month and im under 21. Never got it raised thats what it came with, its an unlimited licence!

is this unusual???

You are lucky.

oh i didn realise that many cartridges was unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

what is the prob i have 500 with an offer of 5000 if i want just explain how bullets are bought box/50---brick/500---case/5000 and expain the cost thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Different superintendents, different rules, nothing's standardised anywhere.

civdef wrote:
    Different superintendents, different rules, nothing's standardised anywhere.

This is very true and from experience, it seems to be the case.

Could i or should I assume my superintendant/FO are therefore slightly more leniant than others and might be understanding towards what i want to do, with regards to changing shotguns, rifle licence????

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Assumption is the mother of all **** ups. Go talk to you FAO explain your reasons etc.

Fair point lol :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement