Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A thousand euro to spend on a home sound system, what would you reccomend?

• 25-01-2006 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Ok so Ive a grand to spend on a home sound system, that includes leads, speakers etc. Where would you reccomend and what good brands are within this budget?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

These are the sort of questions that always cause lots of debate.

Anyway.
    Receiver wise look for Denon and Onkyo.
    Sub wise look at SVS and Velodyne(These may not be in your budget, but theyre worth it.)
    Speakers are 'almost' completely at the users discretion, some people will think they sound horrible others will love them.
    BUT KEF, Tannoy, MK and Mordaunt Short are generally liked.

(SVS have just recently released a 5.1 setup which is supposed to be the best at its price point, again it wont be in your budget, its around €1,200 I think)

Id recommend you to take your time building your HT as you can then get the components you want, rather than getting it all at once and cheaping out on something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Do you definately want to go surround?

If you mostly listen to music - Stereo is the way to go. I watch movies in stereo and it's perfectly satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Theres a chap selling his surround sound in the FS General section.Seperates amp and decent speakers.Looks pretty good.

Hope I didn't break any rules there mods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

When you say home sound system what components are you including in that? Are you looking for a stereo music system or something for home cinema?

At 1,000 paddy is right, seriously look at 2nd hand gear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Ok so Ive a grand to spend on a home sound system, that includes leads, speakers etc. Where would you reccomend and what good brands are within this budget?

Actually lads he hasn't specified that he wants a surround sound itself.

My surround sound is my favourite gadget at the mo.Its so versatile,I use it for radio in the morning,then hook my mp3 player up to it when I come home from work.And ofcourse the DVDs played on it.The speakers are nice and small aswell so they're not too intrusive.

I suppose it depends where you're putting it Munky but IMO i would be a surround sound man.

......just realised I'v gone off the thread's point.Anyways,after you've done your research,scower ebay to find some bargains,saw a guy last night selling his Marantz amp.Nearing the end of the auction I don't think it was above 100Eu.

After ya get all your second hand kit,go onto Peats website,compare it with their overpriced gear, and be happy in the knowledge you saved a s**tload of cash! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Funky Munky

pH wrote:
    Are you looking for a stereo music system or something for home cinema?

Just a stereo home system ;)

You just missed my arcam set up...

But anyway -
    Are you willing to buy used?
    How big is your room?
    How flexible is your budget?
    Do you want to be able to plug in a turntable?

Do you want CD Player/ Amp/ Speakers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

sorry to gatecrash the thread guys, but iv the exact same question. im moving into a new house with quite a small living room but i love my music so want a nice hi-fi, just stereo not surround. got about a grand or a bit more to spend 9could go to 1500 if needs be) and want to be able to plug in my record player in the aux input. havent even got a clue what components i need as up till now iv just had one of those €300 stereo things. anyway, any help greatly appreciated!

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yes- the internet really is the way to go. :rolleyes:

I assume what eo980 is trying to get at is that you should head to a few places and listen to stuff.
    For 1000-1500 in Ireland there really isnt much out there...

Cloney Audio pre-owned:

CD Player:
    Rotel RCD-02 €595.00
    Arcam DV 88 DVD Player(s) pre-owned 499.- (will probably be better then a new €500 cd player)

Amplifier:
    RA-01 €395.00
    Arcam A65 Plus Amplifier (black) ex-display 399.-
    Musical Fidelity Pre-amp/Typhoon Monoblock power amplifier (used) 485.-

Speakers:
    B&W DM303 €289.00
    B&W DM309 €525.00
    B&W DM600 S3 €319.00
    B&W DM601 S3 €399.00
    B&W DM602 S3 €479.00
    Quad 11L €595.00
    System Audio SA 505 €299.00
    System Audio SA 705 €660.00

Cable wise - Cloney will normally throw in stuff that they have lying around.

Just head in there and demo all of the above, plus whatever else they have in their range for your money!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

For about 1500 yoyos, you can get a sonos system. Will let you plug in your external sources to it also, but it gives you access to it over two rooms. Time and cash permitting, you can expand it. All your music stored on your hardrive and menue drive wireless remote access to it, internet radio etc. Basically, an ipod but so mcuh more.

Have a look at www.sonos.com

Wexfordman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

commited wrote:
    I assume what eo980 is trying to get at is that you should head to a few places and listen to stuff.
    For 1000-1500 in Ireland there really isnt much out there...

Absolutely, your going to be getting it to listen to, it's a very fickal thing. You have to listen to these things and decide for yourself what sounds best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Funky Munky

commited wrote:

Cable wise - Cloney will normally throw in stuff that they have lying around.

Cool - where is Cloney?

Blackrock - check the website for exact address

Advertisement