Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

downloading copyrighted material questions

• 25-01-2006 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

what kind of action is taken against your average downloader? would they be given a warning 1st? or is there no warning, just a straight prosecution?

most isps provide download capacities of 10 gigs minimum, more in most cases. and most users i know use almost all of that in the month...i dont understand how anyone could download that amount of data in a month unless they are downloading illegal files! surely the isps are well aware of that too!

the real reason i posted though is that i want to know what kind of files these people are most concerned about us downloading? mp3s obviously i suppose? what about movies? have there been many prosecutions for downloading movies?

what about episodes of tv shows, i know thats not legal either but its no different than me pressing the record button on my vcr really...and nobody cares about that! thats all nice and acceptable! if you go into the houses of any of the ppl who work at IRMA and similar organisations you will find blank video casettes full of simpsons episodes or whatever else they are into!
    has anyone been ever prosectuted for downloading tv shows?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

what kind of action is taken against your average downloader? would they be given a warning 1st? or is there no warning, just a straight prosecution?

From what cases ive read about in the past its a straight prosecution, in Ireland I think the average fine is 5,000 euro
    most isps provide download capacities of 10 gigs minimum, more in most cases. and most users i know use almost all of that in the month...i dont understand how anyone could download that amount of data in a month unless they are downloading illegal files! surely the isps are well aware of that too!

10 gigs is easy to do easily in month legally! Online gaming takes a fair chunk, game mods/addons/demo's (most game demo's are 500mb these days), streaming videos/online radio, program demo's etc.

the real reason i posted though is that i want to know what kind of files these people are most concerned about us downloading? mp3s obviously i suppose? what about movies? have there been many prosecutions for downloading movies?

what about episodes of tv shows, i know thats not legal either but its no different than me pressing the record button on my vcr really...and nobody cares about that! thats all nice and acceptable! if you go into the houses of any of the ppl who work at IRMA and similar organisations you will find blank video casettes full of simpsons episodes or whatever else they are into!
    has anyone been ever prosectuted for downloading tv shows?

Yes there have been prosecutions for downloading movies, im not sure about TV shows.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It's generally uploaders who are being prosecuted, not downloaders.

This makes sense , since it's easier to target large uploaders, their offence would probably be easier to prosecute in a court (imagine a similar scenario where a prosecutor shows up with a guy who bought a dodgy DVD in a market, as opposed to the guy who sold 100 dodgy DVD's in a market), and they get to scare people into not sharing their files. If the uploaders dry up, then by way of that, the downloaders do too.

Advertisement