Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jorge Arce-this little guy is amazing !

Options
  • 25-01-2006 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭

I posted this as an appreciation thread to Mexican Flyweight Jorge Arce .

He is one of the most exciting fighters in boxing and is incredibly active .
    I believe he is the best fighter at Flyweight and Pongsaklek Wonjongkam's reluctance to face him shows how good a fighter he is .

This is his record btw :boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=006642

As you can see he is a two-time light-Flyweight title holder aswell as the WBC interim title holder at Flyweight this despite him only being 26 years of age . He first became a world title holder at 19 :eek: .

When he fights Jose Lopez this week it will have been his 6th fight in 13 months and all of those fight have either been for a proper title , interim title or an eliminater for a title .(as in they were all tough fights)

Despite having good skills Arce prefers to fight every fight in the 'Mexican way' and goes toe to toe at an opportunity .

There is no doubt in my mind that this guy will leave boxing as an all-time great , and with the way his popularity has been skyrocketing in Mexico he might be considered up there with Julio Cesar Chavez !

and while Pongsaklek Wonjongkam is fighting this guy next :boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=014039
    id offer him one piece of advice....................keep running .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

I totally agree big ears this guy is fabulous. I watched his 2 fights on sky sports againist Hussain Hussain..... the 1st fight was a cracker but in the 2nd fight Hussain new he was up againist it from the start. There is not many people Jim Watt gives praise but also thinks extremely highly of the super Arce. One of my all time greats was Ricardo "Finito" Lopez and he also ruled the light-fly and fly weights divisions, I think Arce has a bit to go to emulate him but he is on the right track. I just hope we haven't put the mockers on him......:D Also when he puts that hat on after every fight.....he is a mini-Freddie Kruger, he is just missing the stippy "denis the menace" top.

http://www.boxnews.com.ua/photos/305/JorgeArce_BIG_Villasenor.jpg

http://www.cronica.com.mx/nimagenes/5/211205d1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

I agree that Arce is very exciting, even though I've only seen the two Hussein fights in full along with short clips of other fights, but there was enough action in the first one to make you realise that he is an out and out action oriented fighter.

But being exciting and being an all-time great are two different things and I have a funny feeling you're overrating him here. Wongjongkam is no ordinary can of piss either and is very highly thought of in the far east and I'd actually fancy him to beat Arce if they met. I think he'd outbox him.

Then there's also the Carbajal loss which was Michael's last fight and he was totally finished at that stage.

Still great to watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

At the time of the loss Carbajal , Arce was 19 and was winning the fight by 7 points on all score cards when stopped . His inexperience got the better of him and Carbajal took advantage .

Wonjongkam is highly thought of in most places not just far east , simply because he's a world class fighter . A fight between Arce and Wonjongkam was made but was then called off for some reason and since then Wonjongkam seems to want no part of Arce until the WBC force him to fight Arce ot be stripped .

This is not only because Arce is a big risk but he has the tools to beat Pongsalek with his power and punch volume . Then again Wonjongkam could do what no man has ever done and outbox Arce , he certainly does have the skills to do so . But I believe Arce will get him to trade punches for the most part and theres only gonna be one winner if it goes like that .

I was going to mention the age not being a factor, but I said I'd wait and see would you bring it up...

If he was good enough to be World Champ making his second or third defence he should be experienced enough to deal with whatever came his way and there's no doubt but Carbajal was only a shadow of the fighter he once was at that stage. It's a valid point that can't be ignored.

I'm not knocking the guy as he is tremendously exciting, but all the Fly champs at the moment are very strong and certainly if he was to beat Wongjonkam, Darchinyan, Narvaez (sp?) and Parras he would have proved himself beyond any doubt in my mind, but that's a very tall order.

megadodge wrote:
    I was going to mention the age not being a factor, but I said I'd wait and see would you bring it up...

If he was good enough to be World Champ making his second or third defence he should be experienced enough to deal with whatever came his way and there's no doubt but Carbajal was only a shadow of the fighter he once was at that stage. It's a valid point that can't be ignored.

I'm not knocking the guy as he is tremendously exciting, but all the Fly champs at the moment are very strong and certainly if he was to beat Wongjonkam, Darchinyan, Narvaez (sp?) and Parras he would have proved himself beyond any doubt in my mind, but that's a very tall order.

I think he's a better fighter now than he was then , so I believe the age was a factor . Il agree that Carbajal wasn't the same fighter as he used to be , there's no arguing that .

If all the top Flyweights faught each other in a round robin tournament none of them would go unbeaten , they've all got some much talent it's a shame they are not looked at more . I can't understand why this current bunch of heavyweights gets more exposure than these brilliant flyweights , I know the heavyweight division has so much tradition and they are the big guys but come on...........most of them are either overweight or just crap !

Now a Flyweight round robin tournament...........[starts drooling]

• Advertisement

Rosendo Alvarez :www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=004873 is next for Arce , the guys record speaks for itself but I feel he is past his prime and Arce will stop him .

Although Alvarez is past his prime, if Arce stops him I'll be awfully impressed.
    I actually think this is a very tough bout for Arce as Alvarez is not alone tough and skilled but dirty on top of that and with Arce's propensity to cut, Alvarez's head could have a bearing on the bout.

Fair dues to Arce for taking such a hard bout. His attitude is top class.

Advertisement