Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Private #s Removal (help needed badly!)

• 25-01-2006 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

My friend has been getting these middle of the night phone calls every couple of weeks for the past few months from (well who we're pretty sure it is) her ex-boyfriend.

Now, another 'friend of a friend' got this thing done to his phone where private numbers are shown but the person I know about it through has no idea how he'd done it and can't ask.. And we really got to know if its really the ex-boyfriend before anything can be done.

So anyone heard of this, know how its done or where I can find out?
    I've tried searching for it but so far nothings come up.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

Just turn off the phone at night :cool: Yeah i heard of that thing too is it true though??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CheersDarlin'

Apparently there is such a thing.

Also you know how you could ring up the network and get them to trace the call? To do that does the gardai have to get invovled?

Cause I heard about this hacking of email things that was going on in my school but they had to get the gardai in on it before they could trace where it was coming from...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

Well, if he keeps making "middle of the night" phone calls then get the gardai invovled. Sure feck it, it sounds pretty weird to me. Two people i know handed sim cards in cause they got strange phone calls.

Just make sure it's him before you make any accusations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No, it's not true.

If you get the gardai involved they could request information from the phone company but otherwise nothing can be done.

The logical answer here is to turn the phone off at night, seriously.

See theres quite a bad history about the boyfriend so its not as easy as just turning her phone off. Its happening with her house number as well (and during the day sometimes aswell as night).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ring the guards. They will find out who it is and tell you before they take action. It will then be up to you if you want to proceed. No harm.

Tusky wrote:
    Ring the guards. They will find out who it is and tell you before they take action. It will then be up to you if you want to proceed. No harm.

That sounds fine then... I'll tell her to ring her network or guards and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i know from personal experience that if you ring the guards they will politely but firmly say "**** off, we don't care". they won't get involved unless physical violence is threatened.

meteor offer a service to block certain numbers even if they're on private. i'm sure the others do aswell. my advice is to set up a call divert to a local pizza place or something similar. or even the persons own number if you know it.

or as peope have suggested, turn the phone off and take the house phone off the hook. the person probably won't stop for ages though. my ones been doing it for over two years

meteor offer a service to block certain numbers even if they're on private. i'm sure the others do aswell. my advice is to set up a call divert to a local pizza place or something similar. or even the persons own number if you know it.
    Vodafone don't, at least that's what they told me. "All we can offer you is a change of number free of charge." But that's not an option for me at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Karsini wrote:
    Vodafone don't, at least that's what they told me. "All we can offer you is a change of number free of charge." But that's not an option for me at present.

i'd recommend asking again. what services the companies offer varies greatly depending on who answers the phone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

as someone posted before, the airhorn to the speaker, that'll soon stop the calls :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The feature to display a private number exisits on all networks but anyone has the right to hide their identity if they wish..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Go round his house and nick his socks.

Advertisement