Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some sort of clothing scam (or stolen goods)?

Options
  • 26-01-2006 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

(Not sure where this belongs, mods feel free to move)

I was heading into my local shopping this morning (Midleton in Cork) dressed as men do at 11am on a Wednesday morning (trackies, runners, very very old denim jacket) when I was approached by a guy in a car. He sounded foreign, and so I thought he must be lost, so I stopped.

He introduced himself as a rep for Armani, and showed me something with their logo on it, it may have been an ID. He also showed me a Brown Thomas credit card and explained that he had just been in Cork city selling, and his bosses were so pleased with him, that they had given him 2 "sets" (and I'm not sure here what they had actually given him, he mentioned suits, he mentioned leather jackets) to do with what he liked. He said he was keeping one set to send to his parents back home, but if I had a few minutes to spare, maybe I would be interested in getting something from him. He said all he wanted was to save some money off the cost of the car rental (showed me a ticket here).

Something didn't feel right, and I told him not today. He kinda huffily drove off. I know nothing about cars, so couldn't tell if it was nice or not, but his accent sounded genuine and his bt card looked kosher.

Did I have a lucky escape from something, or am I fool for missing out on the chance to get an Armani leather jacket for bupkiss? Anyone else been approached?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

you had a lucky escape. An old scam................

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

He aproached me in Limerick a few weeks ago , same kinda story .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

He didn't offer you a cheap laptop as well by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Hagar wrote:
    He didn't offer you a cheap laptop as well by any chance?
    At least with this scam you get to leave with a little more than a litre of milk. OK it is a PVC (leather) jacket but then again I'd prefer to leave with the scam artist's 'family jewels' in a brown paper bag.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

A VERY old scam. I got stopped by a guy in Rome a few years back, telling me he was a rep for Christian Dior and that he had two left-over jackets and other stuff from a sales meeting and that I could have them for my mother if I wanted (he rolled down the window and started the conversation by asking me where my mother was from. I said Wexford, Ireland, and he said,"Wow, so is my wife, what a coincidence. I bet she would like some ChrDior stuff..." The guy could barely speak english and it was so obvious he didn't even know where Wexford was). All I had to do was get in the car and drive with him to the nearest petrol station and buy him some petrol, because his 'foreign' Christian Dior credit card could not be accepted in Italy and his company car (a Nissan Micra, as Christian Dior reps tend to drive :rolleyes: was just about empty).

Anyway, I was only back in Ireland a week, when I was stopped by a guy on Fitzwilliam Square (again in a Micra, funny enough!!) and he started off the exact same conversation. I quickly told him I had been through this before and he just gave a sly smile, rolled up the window and carried on.

Two in the space of a few weeks, in two different countries. Never before, and never since.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

A guy pulled that one on me while I was at work and incidently carrying a very heavy item. I copped what he was at and set the item down on his brand new merc while I listened to him. He didn't seem too keen to stick around after that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I had the same thing in Walkingstown a few years ago. Armani rep selling to BT with a bit of gear left over. He also had a sh1t car.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 waz

corblimey wrote:
    (Not sure where this belongs, mods feel free to move)

I was heading into my local shopping this morning (Midleton in Cork) dressed as men do at 11am on a Wednesday morning (trackies, runners, very very old denim jacket) when I was approached by a guy in a car. He sounded foreign, and so I thought he must be lost, so I stopped.

was this in the carpark across the bridge from Lidl....... He can't be much of a salesman as 18 months back he was selling the same suit and jacket...... then again he could be great, because the scam appears to be working as he is doing it for a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Some people want knock off gear and some dont even realise its knock off. He's probably making a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Same thing here. Guy in a black Merc in Tullamore selling sets of cutlery.. one set left over from some big deal or other.
    Seem to remember that the leather jacket merchant was featured on the Gerry Ryan show a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Advertisement