Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lab Safety

• 26-01-2006 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

What's your teacher like in the lab, does she make sure every one is taking all safety precautions, and weraing the gear and all that, cuz ours is crap!

We were doing a rates of reaction experiment today and we were working with 3 Molar HCL, and she barely mentioned it to us about any form of safety, gloves, goggles, white coat. I know it says it in the book, and on the flask and if you're doing LC Chem you should well know, about molarity and what not, but not once since 1st year has she influenced any sort of safety knowledge on us!

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but it is LC stuff aswell...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

When I was in school, we never wore any kind of lab coat, goggles or gloves... In fact, the only time I've ever worn a lab coat was at CTYI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Good to know we're not the only one's playing with dangerous chemicals without protection! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

well when you get to college and if you do science, it all changes!

I know, when I was in trinity even the visitors had to have all the gear on, that's what really got me thinking, and the 3M HCL, nasty stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

3 molar HCL is not very dangerous.Obviously you don't want to touch it, but I'm assuming in 6th year you can pour properly?3 molar HCL is actually quite a weak acid, as they go.We did an experiment recently with 110 molar HCL.Now that was dangerous, but still no need to go getting worked up over.Just be sensible and careful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

Sure me and my friends are always tossin some kind of noxious chemical around, with various results and consiquences i might add:D

Yeah we pour okay, the odd drop gets onto your hands but it's okay it just cauterises(sp) your nerve endings slightly!

I got christened "The Queen of Chemicals" the other day, which was quite odd, fun but odd!

110 molar! Tell me that's a science degree you're at preferably in Trin or UCD???

We've decided to make our lycopodium bomb since our teacher won't let us, so that should be fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

You should use 110 molar for the Leaving Cert course because it's in one of the experiments.

Really? None that we've done and we've done all the mandetory ones... You sure you're thinking of the present course? It changed a couple of years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

with 3M HCl you should have a few seconds to get yourself with clean ,, conc NaOH on the other hand will really do some damage

in school all we ever did was put safety glasses on, no lab coat or nothing having said that you don't really use much dangerous stuff in the lc

• Advertisement

We've used .1M NaOH, it's hilarious when we use strongish chemicals cuz my partner is totally paranoid about them, and hates getting the slightest drop on her... aah, gonna miss her next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭geraghd

Whats Concentrated HCL? As in what molar concentration is it at. Cause thats what we used in Science in Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lost_soul

I have a big scar on my hand from where i burnt it on a hot plate in school. Another time we were doing an electricity experiment and only towards the end of the experiment did the teacher tel us that if we touched the metal parts that it would kill us!!

Advertisement