Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assuming reloading becomes legal here...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Rovi wrote:
    ...who's going to be the first among us with a set-up like this?-
    http://forums.sixgunner.com/m_27446/mpage_1/tm.htm

:eek::eek::eek:

Wow. Think that guy seriously enjoys his guns. He said he got carried away...I really dont see how!...only one purpose bought jeep...a dozen reloading vises...and god knows what else.

You should read the comments posted below his photos...makes you wonder...rednecks. But I have to say that I'm also jealous...although I'd rather buy rounds from a reputable dealer, wouldn't trust myself and if something went wrong with the ammo...i'd sue the pants off the dealer...no gaining if you make the rounds yourself.:D ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Holy crap batman..!:eek:

Can you say ....Overkill ...? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

So.... what exactly does he do with the setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

It looks like amateur ballistics research, apparently he's a mathematician by profession. I suppose all those presses pre-set would be handy if you found changing round setups for different calibres an intolerable delay, but you'd have to be in a fierce hurry or be fierce impatient to need that many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

A few quotes from the owner (Hammer)-
    Currently load for over a hundred cartridges ranging from 20 Tactical and 585 Nyati in rifles to 32 S&W and 500 Linebaugh in handguns.
    Keep six Dillon 550 presses setup with at least one each for small rifle primer, large rifle, small pistol, and large pistol. Also keep three Dillon 650 presses setup for large pistol, large rifle, and small rifle. Keep one 1050 setup for large pistol. Keep three RCBS Ammomasters setup for 50 BMG, 500 Nitro Express, and other African-size quasi-progressive loading. Keep Lee turret, Redding turret, Bonanza CO-AX, and RCBS Rockchucker presses setup too.
    Time is in very short supply and demands on time are unlimited.
    "Hobby" is all it is. Am personally familiar with what the corporate and military have for research and testing. Compares with some of them. But there is no money in it except outgo. Most of this came about due to unanswered, and sometimes unasked, questions. Still don't have the answers. Still asking and testing.
    As civdef says, it's an amatuer ballistics research facility. It's the guy's hobby.
    He's been at it for 35 years, so you'd kinda expect him to have built up a lot of 'stuff' anyhow.

I say "fair play" to him. If he has the money, time, and interest, why not do it?

edited to add-
    I love this bit-
    Can fire, reload same cartridge case, and fire new load without leaving shooting stool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I say "fair play" to him. If he has the money, time, and interest, why not do it?

Exactly, I only wish I was able to devote as much time and money to shooting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

scorphonic wrote:
    ...although I'd rather buy rounds from a reputable dealer, wouldn't trust myself and if something went wrong with the ammo...
    You should definitely stick with 'store bought' ammunition in that case.

I fully intend reloading for my rifles when the legal stuff gets sorted out, though. I'm a mechanically minded tinkerer by inclination, and I love the notion of working up loads for specific guns for specific purposes.
    I have every confidence in my own ability to do it properly.

civdef wrote:
    Exactly, I only wish I was able to devote as much time and money to shooting!
    True, but I think I'd spend that money slightly differently - it's like he's spending a huge amount of time and effort sharpening each tooth on a saw, but never actually cutting anything with it.

It'd be a magnificent facility to have available to a fullbore target shooting squad though...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I don't know Sparks - the taxidermy around the room is fairly impressive looking - if he took it himself?
    Can shoot from indoor bench through sound-deadening room, across seven chronographs simultaneously, out to targets as far as a thousand yards. Targets include paper and resetting steel.

Can fire, reload same cartridge case, and fire new load without leaving shooting stool.
    That's the part I'm jelous of! :rolleyes:

thelurcher wrote:
    I don't know Sparks - the taxidermy around the room is fairly impressive looking - if he took it himself?
    I guess. Not really my thing, but I can see how it'd be an achievement easily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Lazy bastard. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Rovi wrote:
    You should definitely stick with 'store bought' ammunition in that case.

I think so!!
    Rovi wrote:
    I fully intend reloading for my rifles when the legal stuff gets sorted out, though. I'm a mechanically minded tinkerer by inclination, and I love the notion of working up loads for specific guns for specific purposes.
    I have every confidence in my own ability to do it properly.

Would there be any restrictions on the amount of powder you put into the bullets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Would there be any restrictions on the amount of powder you put into the bullets?

Well..! , put it this way ... blowing your gun up would probably be baaaaad..!

Yes , max powder loads for ammunition should be avoided.
    It is an exact science and you "Fool about" at your peril .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

jaycee wrote:
    Well..! , put it this way ... blowing your gun up would probably be baaaaad..!

Yes , max powder loads for ammunition should be avoided.
    It is an exact science and you "Fool about" at your peril .

Indeed,Unless you enjoy firing your gun by remote control.

Like the way he guy started out though.He bought a simple Lee handloader,and worked up from there.Highly recommendable those to start off with.Keeping It Stupidly Simple[KISS] and relatively cheap,it lets you get a taste of reloading without spending a mint on equipment.

Advertisement