Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CB Radios?

Options
  • 26-01-2006 3:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is the right forum but does anyone have a cb radio? Is there a large community in Ireland? Been thinking of getting one for the car to be like the Dukes of Hazzard. :cool: :v: I'd say if there are enough truckers that use them they'd be handy for tips on where all the garda check points and speed traps are on long journeys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 seansean

hi there

i think the cb thing is almost dead in ireland, hope im wrong though. I was on fm and all the others side bands etc in the mid to late 80s and i know it was dying off then. There was alot more folks in the north on the cb and we had to buy most of our gear up there. Alot of people moved onto ham radio etc a more advanced version were you have to do an exam to get on. I hope others post to let us know what is happening on this scene, maybe jim or fra in dundalk....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

I have one in the car but don't use it much. If I'm driving a truck I'll use one if it's available. 99% of what you hear now is from truck drivers and most of those users appear to be from Northern Ireland especially in the greater Dublin area. Channel 19 (27.185 MHz) is the open channel and that's where you will hear most communication. Language is frequently atrocious. There are certain protocols that one is supposed to adhere to while communicating e.g. not transmitting continuously on one channel for more than 5 minutes. AFAIK you don't need a licence if the apparatus uses less than 4 watts but I wouldn't worry about it anyway as I've never heard of a Garda checking the wattage of a CB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 StephenC

Hi,

Anybody that lives around Dublin City know if people still use their cb radios.
    Im thinking of buying a good one with a aerial that will have a good range in reception in dublin. i currently have a Midland Alan 99..basic 40 Ch AM cb radio.

any comments would be great.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

I was big into the sidebands and FM the old 10 Metre back in the late 80's early 90's...

It has dropped off a lot although Licensed HAM Radio has increased I am considering reapplying for my old license as it has lapsed for over 10 years now..

Advertisement