Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin query

Options
  • 26-01-2006 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

OK, maybe not the right forum, but here goes -

My bin was picked up this morning, however was only half-emptied (some of the bin bags must have lodged inside when it was upended, and somehow got blocked).

So, can I contact environmental services to get it fully emptied, or do I have to wait until next week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It's up to you to make sure the contents of the bin are not packed tightly so as to not allow the material to come out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054870940&highlight=empty+bin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Jesus How many times...

MY BIN WAS NOT OVER-FILLLED!!!

The lid could close without obstruction, there was space for another bag, once it had been half emptied, I put in two more bags and the next collection day it emptied no problem. I didn't fiddle with the bags etc.
    Once again, IT WASN'T OVER-FILLED!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

If it was not compacted it would have come out. To over compact it is the same as over filling. You are responsible for the stuff to be able to come out nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Sleipnir wrote:
    Jesus How many times...

MY BIN WAS NOT OVER-FILLLED!!!

The lid could close without obstruction, there was space for another bag, once it had been half emptied, I put in two more bags and the next collection day it emptied no problem. I didn't fiddle with the bags etc.
    Once again, IT WASN'T OVER-FILLED!!

It was over filled as in there was too much you had more in the bin than would allow it to move freely, i.e too much matter/volume.

Overfilled heightwise is a lot different to overfilled volume wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Been onto environmental services, "must now wait 'til next week" - so much value for my €6 bin tax :mad:

For the little story, no it wasn't over-filled (in any sense of the definitions given above), some branches of the xmas tree (packed in bin liners) must have shifted while the bin was upended and somehow locked themselves up invertedly (or possibly come to rest on a lip of the bin-lifter lorry attachment) - dunno.

Which leads me to think that the lorry attachment did not 'shake' the bin about a little (as they usually do), since I was able to move the said bags freely this morning when I opened the half-emptied bin.

Fine, I'll burn them in the garden instead :mad:

• Advertisement

ambro25 wrote:
    Been onto environmental services, "must now wait 'til next week" - so much value for my €6 bin tax :mad:

For the little story, no it wasn't over-filled (in any sense of the definitions given above), some branches of the xmas tree (packed in bin liners) must have shifted while the bin was upended and somehow locked themselves up invertedly (or possibly come to rest on a lip of the bin-lifter lorry attachment) - dunno.

Which leads me to think that the lorry attachment did not 'shake' the bin about a little (as they usually do), since I was able to move the said bags freely this morning when I opened the half-emptied bin.

I hope you have to pay again as the tree could have been composted which was free service. So in Reality you are the only one to blame for baddly filling you bin. So take responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ambro25 wrote:

FFS - you could have just brought it to a collection point for ***free*** :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I hope you have to pay again as the tree could have been composted which was free service. So in Reality you are the only one to blame for baddly filling you bin. So take responsibility

My, my, fighting words - sounds like I should have shoved them up someone's @rse instead...

... just to make sure you'd be up there that little bit more :D

Nice to have free composting wherever you are, but no such 'composting center' (EDIT - or 'collection point') around this end that I am aware of.

EDIT - I am under the impression that burning of any refuse (combustible/natural/inoffensive) in your own garden is illegal in this country, so I chose initially to dispose of it responsibly - WTF are your respective problems?

I asked a bona fide question, preferably attracting pointed and factual answers, not unwarranted flaming: responsibility has been taken and I will indeed await my half-full bin to be emptied next week, same place, same time, minus the branches. FYI, bin every week is €6 and I do not mind the bin tax.

In other words (and I'm really struggling to remain civil), 'naff off - EDIT: the both of you.

@ Mods, can you please lock this?

ambro25 wrote:

Nice to have free composting wherever you are, but no such 'composting center' (EDIT - or 'collection point') around this end that I am aware of.

Collections were country wide so where do you live that doesn't have the service?
    ambro25 wrote:

In other words (and I'm really struggling to remain civil), 'naff off - EDIT: the both of you.
    You failed to remain civil. THe reason for the comments is because of you irresponsible disposal of biodegradable waste. Obviously they should charge more in your area so you ltry to reduce your waste and lifts.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

ambro25 wrote:
    Bsome branches of the xmas tree (packed in bin liners) must have shifted while the bin was upended and somehow locked themselves up invertedly (or possibly come to rest on a lip of the bin-lifter lorry attachment) - dunno.

Yep. If you're putting branches into the bin its best to snip them (if possible) into shorter pieces because the damn things do have a habit of uncurling after you put them in. Snipping them also increases the amount you can fit in ;-)

• Advertisement

@ Parsi - much thx for tip ;)

@ MorningStar - in view of your posts, I am very sorry but you leave me no choice than to be brutally honest with you: you really are a knob.
    The reason for the comments is because of you irresponsible disposal of biodegradable waste.

And who are you to dictate how I should dispose of any waste?

FYI, I was recycling 'responsibly' (in FRA, LUX and GER) years before the idea (and the green bins) were even introduce in Ireland. I use the green bin at all times and segregate waste accordingly.
    Obviously they should charge more in your area so you ltry to reduce your waste and lifts.

Can I ask what brand you're smoking/injecting/inhaling? As I'm really not sure I'd like any.

WTF has the bin tax amount got to do with levels of waste and lifts - for that matter, what are you on about with 'lifts'?

The amount of waste per any period (= 1 week) is a set volume (= 1 bin), and if you don't put you bin out for collection in any set period, in any case the Council then totes up yearly and asks for differential at year end. So whether I waste max (= 1 bin per week, not accounting bottles and other recyclables (clothes) which I take to containers/give to charities) or waste little, I still pay the same.

You're a troll, have contributed nothing to this thread but flaming -provided in total ignorance of my habitual waste-disposal habits, let it be said, and which are none of your concern- so just go elsewhere...

ambro25 wrote:
    @ MorningStar - in view of your posts, I am very sorry but you leave me no choice than to be brutally honest with you: you really are a knob.
    Actually that isn't honest that is opinion which you are not entitled to state here

And who are you to dictate how I should dispose of any waste?

I am somebody who is effected by your neglect and irresponsible attitude. AS you are imposing on my I have right to comment.
    ambro25 wrote:
    FYI, I was recycling 'responsibly' (in FRA, LUX and GER) years before the idea (and the green bins) were even introduce in Ireland. I use the green bin at all times and segregate waste accordingly.
    So what you care less for the country you now call home.
    ambro25 wrote:
    WTF has the bin tax amount got to do with levels of waste and lifts - for that matter, what are you on about with 'lifts'?
    A lift is teh act of lifting your bin. Some councils charge by lift and others by weight and others use both.
    ambro25 wrote:
    The amount of waste per any period (= 1 week) is a set volume (= 1 bin), and if you don't put you bin out for collection in any set period, in any case the Council then totes up yearly and asks for differential at year end. So whether I waste max (= 1 bin per week, not accounting bottles and other recyclables (clothes) which I take to containers/give to charities) or waste little, I still pay the same.
    There you go just showing your ignorance. In Dublin city council you pay by lift by quarter. Reducing your waste regardless of the cost is the moral thing to do
    ambro25 wrote:
    You're a troll, have contributed nothing to this thread but flaming -provided in total ignorance of my habitual waste-disposal habits, let it be said, and which are none of your concern- so just go elsewhere...
    No again not a troll somebody who knows more on the subject than you. I didn't resort to insult but I certainly will complain about you for your inability to remain civil.

FFS, about a kilo's worth of pine branches and all this? :rolleyes:
    Actually that isn't honest that is opinion which you are not entitled to state here

I'm being honest in stating my opinion.
    I am somebody who is effected by your neglect and irresponsible attitude. AS you are imposing on my I have right to comment.

To what extent are you affected? Please clarify.
    So what you care less for the country you now call home.

I do not call this country 'home'. I do not call any country 'home'. Not that it is of any concern to you.

And no, I do care about 'my' and 'the' environment. I recycle all my glass waste, give all my unused clothes to charities, recycle all the paper in the house, drive an electric moped to commute... could go on.
    A lift is teh act of lifting your bin. Some councils charge by lift and others by weight and others use both.

Erm...
    Obviously they should charge more in your area so you ltry to reduce your waste and lifts.

I'm sure you're implying some sort of cause-and-effect relationship between waste amount and price to collect/take away same: please be aware that when running a family, (i) there exists a certain threshold below which waste reduction becomes impossible and (ii) with nappies forming part thereof, you really don't want not to have the bin collected every week, full or not full (which I do).

That I had the malchance of stealing a minute's worth of oxygen from your precious lungs with daring to place compostable refuse in my bin this week does not signify that my bin was full - far from it. By my reckoning, about 40 liters were taken away (2x standard kitchen refuse sacks) (about a quarter of bin capacity), leaving the said branches and another 3 sacks (60 liters).

So, what say you? Are these figures acceptable, your honour, or should I strive to halve that yet further, and compost the nappies? Better, suggest to the better half that she ditches Huggies and moves onto cloth nappies?
    There you go just showing your ignorance. In Dublin city council you pay by lift by quarter. Reducing your waste regardless of the cost is the moral thing to do.

South Dublin City Council - we pay weekly by bin (so by lift, by your definition), aggregated by year (insofar as I understand printed instructions from the Environmental Department leaflet applicable for 2004, 2005, and I am still awaiting the 2006 version as of today).

No lift in any given week = added for reconciliation at year end (as I have had to do in '04 and '05, accounting for holidays/away periods).

You're welcome to provide me with any evidence that I may use in recovering monies unduly collected, by your logic.
    Reducing your waste regardless of the cost is the moral thing to do.

Not disagreeing with that - where have I intimated that I was not?
    No again not a troll somebody who knows more on the subject than you. I didn't resort to insult but I certainly will complain about you for your inability to remain civil.

[quaking in my boots]Fire away[/quaking in my boots]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Sherlock

Pardon my ignorance but what happens Christmas trees brought to bring centres?, is something useful made out of them?. Ambros Christmas tree (if taken in the bin lorry) would just have got dumped in landfill and rotted away naturally. Not harming the envirnoment, even if it could have been re-cycled into something useful.

Sherlock wrote:
    Pardon my ignorance but what happens Christmas trees brought to bring centres?, is something useful made out of them?. Ambros Christmas tree (if taken in the bin lorry) would just have got dumped in landfill and rotted away naturally. Not harming the envirnoment, even if it could have been re-cycled into something useful.

My Xmas tree was actually recycled at Marlay Park (each year they have those big tree-munching yokes that spit out matchsticks in the main car park). The branches in my bin were from the 'in-house' decoration - just didn't take the opportunity to dismantle them at same time as tree itself (only got 2 arms, 2 legs and 24 hours in the day ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ambro25 wrote:
    Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,083 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Victor wrote:
    Banned.
    Good man Victor.

If he lived up here he would have to pay €9 per bin tag/per week and then he would do some bitching.

Its actually a couple of euro dearer in other parts of the County

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sherlock wrote:

Yep- they get mulched. You can buy bags of the mulch for about a fiver for a 50 litre bag (its great for keeping weeds down).

Re: harming the environment- we try not to landfill decomposables like greenery and shrubbery. Experience has shown that these decompose at a much faster rate than other refuse causing methane pockets which have been known to ignite and cause fires that are very difficult to extinguish. One fire in an Irish landfill took over 4 weeks to extinguish last summer. There have been proposals to try to tap the decomposing gases, but nothing has come of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

smccarrick wrote:
    There have been proposals to try to tap the decomposing gases, but nothing has come of them.
    Theres a 1 MW power unit in the city dump in Cork, but its a huge dump.

Advertisement