Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Megane Sport Tourer

Options
  • 26-01-2006 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Thinking about getting a 2005 Megane Sport Tourer . Any comments - good or bad ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You could do much better with your money imho. I'd have serious issues with build quality, reliability, and residual values.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

statto wrote:
    Thinking about getting a 2005 Megane Sport Tourer . Any comments - good or bad ?

Thanks.

Do a search on here for the Megane as there are a few people here who had alot of issues with them but there are also people here who had no bother with theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have an '04 one for sale....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I am one for the issue's here, As you's all know I had mine for about 5 months and lost about 4K on it between that time, And had some serious problems. Renault garages are useless... Although saying that, It was a beautiful car though, full of bits and pieces, Very comftorble... Looks quite good also, Doesn't look dated. Id say go for it if you are after comfort and gadgets, But if you are going to be driving this thing to the ground and doing alot of milage, Consider another car.

Just out of interest, What engine were you going for ? I would recomend the 1.6VVT as a minimum and if you can, go for the 1.9/1.5 DCi engines. They are nice and pokey. Also, If you can go for a Dynamique model, Comes with most of the bits and pieces, The sport model is next down with the lack of alloys and a few others and Authentique is the base model. Comes with very little. But still well equipt. I presume the Sport tourer is the estate ?

All in all, Its a nice car but the reliability is very questionable, I have to say i miss it compared to the 06 Leon we got to replace it, But leon is far more reliable.

Whats you budget ?

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Sport tourer has alloys...
    Also:
    Push button stop/start, CD player with steering control, Aircon, Refrigerated Glove Box (sounds posh,,,, isn't), Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Auto Dipping rear view mirror, front fogs, electric windows front & back, integrated rear sunvisors, driver & passanger footwell storage, metallic paint with colour matching bumpers & mirrors & MASSIVE boot.

So, it is ideal for touring (funnily enough), and is very comfy. Perfect if you have 2 kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

Thanks for all the comments guys. Looking at 1.4. Budget is about 18K. Need the estate as have a kid and one on the way and the wife wants a car with a big boot. going for the sport model which as some of the goodies.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Try a Skoda Octavia Estate instead, I'm not messing, this is a good car, and reasonably priced too.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=340418

This one's got a punchy TDI engine, and a massive boot.

If you're adament about getting the Megane, get a Scenic instead, these are just as badly built as the estate, but at least it's worth something second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd steer well clear of Renaults, the really are sh*te. I'd sooner buy a good second-hand car rather than a sh*te new one. I'd recommend a Ford Focus, I've sold a fair few and no trouble, good spec. and nice to drive. I'd recommend a 1.6 by the way. Don't be fooled into buying an Alfa Romeo either.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Agreed on the Renaults being sh*te, them and Peugeots always give me hassle with warranty problems, but some people like them because they're comfortable, safe, and usually generously equipped

Advertisement