Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost my BT DSL: setting changes since speed upgrade?

• 26-01-2006 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Yesterday my DSL stopped working. Does the recent changes to down/up speeds mean you need to change the setting on your DSL Modem/router?

I have a LinkSys modem/wireless router. The DSL light does not even flicker now when you turn it on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wind00ze

Hi did you check your login details on the linksys router?
    Its possible it might have been reseted which would have wiped your previous
    settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Yesterday my DSL stopped working. Does the recent changes to down/up speeds mean you need to change the setting on your DSL Modem/router?

I have a LinkSys modem/wireless router. The DSL light does not even flicker now when you turn it on.
    You shouldn't have to change any settings on the modem because of the upgrade. The fact that your not getting a DSL light on the modem means either:
    1. There is no DSL signal on your line
    2. Your modem is faulty
    If you still have the BT modem that they sent you, unplug the Linksys from the line and plug in the BT modem. If you still don't get a DSL light, there is probably a fault on your line and you'll need to ring BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Im on BT and use a linksys router.

The led for DSL lights up but the internet led goes red,and i cant go online.

I can however use the original modem sent out to me by BT,and at the correct speeds too.

Any other linksys users having the same problem?

To me it looks like setting problems because i never usually have any problems with the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm BT BB Plus with the Zyxel 600 modem.
    I've been losing connection frequently since the weekend... probably once every hour or so.
    This morning, I'm losing connection near every 5 mins (or less).:mad:
    Anyone else have disconnection issues since the upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 klorin

I had problems as well (BT), yesterday afternoon dsl went up and down.
    Using a Netgear router DG834G. Called BT and was told that I had to unplug all phones etc for 15 minutes (to reset DSL signal), then connect without filters with router only (used the BT one) and then wait for a steady signal. Tested and it seemed ok, speed was 1100/256 so not close to the 2Mb but I guess the Rate adaptive explains it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Anam wrote:
    Im on BT and use a linksys router.

The led for DSL lights up but the internet led goes red,and i cant go online.

I can however use the original modem sent out to me by BT,and at the correct speeds too.

Any other linksys users having the same problem?

To me it looks like setting problems because i never usually have any problems with the router.

yeah thats the problem im getting, the red light stays on for ages im getting it on the WAG54G, it may be firmware related, im not sure.

It was working ok after the upgrade, but as discribed above suddenly i would get for example www.boards.ie cannot be found, at first i thought it was a DNS issue untill i done ping tests and they timed out (on IP address's btw)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Someone rang me the other night because their Linksys had gone down as well. It appears that the settings had vanished - a quick re-entering of the settings did the job. Sometimes if you hold the reset in for a bit toolong it wipes the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

parsi wrote:
    It appears that the settings had vanished - a quick re-entering of the settings did the job. Sometimes if you hold the reset in for a bit toolong it wipes the box.

I checked that, the settings are intact.

On the subject of resetting a linksys, another thing that can do it is a power out, even when it is off. I turned off the power at the fusebox when doing something, and later the router was back to factory defaults. It was not turned on at the time of the power-off, but it was connected to its power adapter.

My PC and telephone sockets are in different rooms, and it is a pain to set it up wirelessly, as each page in the admin has to be "saved" and that usually reboots the router, and I loose the connection :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

whiskeyman wrote:
    Anyone else have disconnection issues since the upgrade?
    Yep, quite annoying when you're in the middle of a game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Anyone using the Linksys WAG54gs should be aware that there is definitely a problem with this model suddenly losing its settings and reverting to the defaults:eek:

http://www1.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=18&ipid=813

It has terrific wireless coverage but it should not have been released as it is. I have tried two samples of it now and the second one held its settings for less than an hour!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I'm having the same problem, connection dropping for no reason, rang tech support, there doing a line check from the exchange, i'll let you know the out come!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Thanks to everyone for the information given.

My linksys definitely has not lost its settings. I have also tested the Zyxel that BT provide - both modems behave the same. The DSL light does not come on ever, does not even flicker.

It seems I don't have DSL or perhaps the line itself is dead. Before BT enabled my broadband, I was trying the line with the Linksys, and the DSL light would come on but red. This makes me suspect the line is dead now, as nothing happens. Don't have a telephone to check. I'll start a different thread to see if anyone lost DSL in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If you have a dialup modem in your PC or laptop try dialling out the old way and see if it gets a dial tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

I re-entered the settings into my linksys router after rebooting it and everything is fine now.

Advertisement