Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCE Problem

• 26-01-2006 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Right Here is the problem, Set this up before but cant get it to work again.
    Have Media Edition 2005
    INstall codec/Dvd decoder
    Cant play divx files
    Error cannot play file
    The Files are missing to display this video, please restart Mce.

What could i be missing?
    Will play in Media PLayer just not Mce.
    Would it be the gfx card i am using its a fairly out temp gfx card till i get my new one?But Mce runs fine just wont play divx etc with it?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

download ffdshow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

What exactly does that do?
    It wouldnt have anything to do with the gfx card so no?

should be nothing to do with the graphics card, ffdshow is a very powerful decoder for all sorts of files, the other option you have is to download the divx codec from www.divx.com

I tried the divx decoder and a dvd decoder but still didnt work. Coming up Missing System files in order to run the video file.. I will try ffdshow though.

Tried that it has to be the Gfx no other option just check its a nvidia riva tnt2 ha

• Advertisement

ummm that is a very old card indeed try get your hands on something a bit more recent and give it a shot

Ya in theprocess in tryin to get one....

Cheers for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Last I recall MCE requires a Direct-X 9 graphics card which is why you probably have the problem however you can disable this but honestly it would be a lot easier to buy the cheapest DX9 card from ATI or NVIDIA.
    Just open regedit and point to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Display Settings

Then Add 2 DWORD KEYS called DisableDxCheck and DisableDx9CapsCheck and set both their values to 1 and media centre should start without problems and without all those nasty recompiling things

Then download the NV 82.65 drivers and then download this modded.inf, extract the drivers to a folder and then place the modded.inf in the folder and overwrite the one that is there not run the driver installer and after the next reboot you should be in business (you need the modded drivers because NV stopped supporting the TNT2 around the 5x.xx generation drivers I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

id be surprised if it was a hardware issue TBH. Ive had a few MCE lumps running from "Savage" S3 graphics. That card is far from DX9. DIVX was not a problem, even HD vids ran on the 2.8Ghz machine no bother.

I think its a software issue myself, have you tried system restore, not an ideal solution but may give your a temp fix

Well i am getting a new Gfx tomorrow so am going to check that tomorrow if all else fails sys restore it is.....
    id be surprised if it was a hardware issue TBH. Ive had a few MCE lumps running from "Savage" S3 graphics. That card is far from DX9. DIVX was not a problem, even HD vids ran on the 2.8Ghz machine no bother.

I think its a software issue myself, have you tried system restore, not an ideal solution but may give your a temp fix

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

One other thing you should do is download graphedit and install it then run the program and from the "File" menu click on "render media files" and point it to a divx file. It will then display the codecs used for that file type for example this is what mine looks like;
    File name->AVI splitter->DivX decoder filter->video renderer
    ->ffdshow audio decoder->default directsound device

If any part of the chain is missing that could expalin why the files will not play its worth a look at least anyway.

Advertisement