Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Speed

• 26-01-2006 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

http://www.onspeed.com/ie/index.php

Has anyone ever used this, or any equivalent?
    Does it work?
    My sister can't get broadband in her area, so I was looking into alternatives for her.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭aido_2006

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=220517&forumid=2

Not sure about it myself as ive never tried it.. looked into it and then irish broadband came into my area so there was no need for it... :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

afaik, it just compress's webpages to a smaller rate so they can transfer quicker, apperantly the army used it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Tried it for a couple of months, wasn't much good really. The compressed images were poor also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

Basically no. It was used by the Military to transfer text messages at very high compression. Images though, as stated end up in very poor quality.

Also everything is handled on there servers or routed through them. It first came to my attention about 12mnths ago or so when the 'Juice Boosted' scam was revealed at a place called scams.com. Further reseach showed to me that it was possibly onspeed themselves who concocted juiceboosted and scams.com was involved in my opinion. Nearly all of there adds pointed to Onspeed and they also had a couple of guys promoting it. Caused a bit of a stir at the time and how these super compression programs for data transmission came to be known about in general.

It's ok for higher compression of .txt but thats all as for general web-browsing absolutly no benefit..

*btw* I have I.P. records/server traces to proove most of the above about onspeed/juiceboosted/scams.com*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

I use it and couldnt do without it. Fair enough the images arent as clear (depending on what setting you use it at) but I just disable it when i have to view a important picture.

It makes a significant difference. After a year my payment ran out and I went a few days without it and couldnt belive how slow the modem was on its own. I would recommed it. Its not perfect but it does save a lot of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Maskhadov wrote:
    I use it and couldnt do without it. Fair enough the images arent as clear (depending on what setting you use it at) but I just disable it when i have to view a important picture.

It makes a significant difference. After a year my payment ran out and I went a few days without it and couldnt belive how slow the modem was on its own. I would recommed it. Its not perfect but it does save a lot of time.

Its no replacement for broadband, but having used it for a year myself while on dialup i have to say it does make a significant difference to your browsing speed.You can set it to a level of compression you are happy with. The more the compression the faster the load but the worse the pictures are.

bottom line .. if you only have dialup its worth it.

Advertisement