Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DS Lite

• 26-01-2006 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭

Since not many read the Nintendo forum, I thought I'd post here too.

Apparently the "we're not doing a redesign" statement was a clever ruse to throw us off the scent - it's been officially announced, and even Eurogamer and Joystiq are posting about it...though Joystiq are more prone to posting rumours, I don't think EG do.

Some pics from Joystiq (if they allow hotlinking):

nintendo_ds_lite.jpg
    nintendo_ds_lite2x.jpg
    nintendo_ds_lite3.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Wow!
    It looks brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

:confused:

Styled like the Revolution controller.......... wonder will it be slimmer than the DS.....dosent look amazing enuff to warrent buying one if you already own a DS tbh.

Edit: ohh its 42% smaller....hummmm

:v:
    CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No sign of the power button on the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Might be on the side of the DS with the volume control slider, assuming they keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I like the repositioning of the mic to the middle of the console. Seems more accessible. The power display has moved there too. Clever.

The speakers seem to have less speed holes in them so I'm wondering if the decrease in weight will really let me play my games any faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Looks alot prettier than the original... which looks ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Damnit, id actually be tempted by it now... the size of the DS was my main drawback, it wasnt really pocket sized at all...

You never know...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

If it's 42% smaller, and the screensize is the same (Although this hasn't been confirmed yet), then the buttons are probably even smaller than before... hard to tell, more room to cut down on space if you move the power, start and select buttons as they have.

I'll wait and see. Looks slick though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Must be quite annoying for all those people who got the Mario Kart DS bundle at Christmas.

I'm glad I waited to get one now. Will look well sitting next to my Revolution (eventually).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

meh, nintendo once again re-release a handheld with a slightly revised design

dont think its that news worthy, (unless they decide to never update their handhelds now that would be shocking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Buttons and screen are the same size.

I'm definitely getting one as the clunkier DS was too much to take with you and there are some great games on the DS I havent played yet (like metroid pinball, and metroid hunters which is also out in time for the release of the lite).

Im thinking a white DS lite and a white Rev would be a sweet combo.:cool:

You know, once it feels comfortable (or as comfortable as the original DS at the very least) I probably will end up upgrading. Stupid Nintendo... they got me!!!

It would look very well next to a Rev, and if they change the material used from cheap painted plastic to whatever the ipod/psp uses, that would help sway me :D

I wonder what deal Game will do for trade ins when it comes out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

1138294315029.jpg
    Cosy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

i offer €2 to any of you peps for your DS if you plan on buying this one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Why could nintendo not have just made this in the first place though ?

nintendo_ds_lite.jpg

Its almost as if they design down so that they cant release a better version a year on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Tusky wrote:
    Its almost as if they design down so that they cant release a better version a year on.
    The GBA wasn't definitive proof of that already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭weemcd

the ipod school of marketing, your purchase is made redundant in 6 months to a year by the introduction of a shinier model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Wasn't it a year and a half ago they released the DS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I dont want one - i'm perfectly happy with my ds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

looks great cant wait to get one if its that much smaller ill be able to actually fit it in my pocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

This post has been deleted.
    There's only a japanese date for the lite so far, and thats April. I'd say we'll be waiting up to another year for this to get to us.

I've been making up reasons against buying a DS for the past while.. don't think that'll work much longer to be honest. I want one of these.

The name ' - Lite' is a bit ****e though, innit? sounds like a lesser model, as though some features have been left out. Just thinking from a marketing point of view.

Goodshape wrote:
    There's only a japanese date for the lite so far, and thats April. I'd say we'll be waiting up to another year for this to get to us.

I've been making up reasons against buying a DS for the past while.. don't think that'll work much longer to be honest. I want one of these.

The name ' - Lite' is a bit ****e though, innit? sounds like a lesser model, as though some features have been left out. Just thinking from a marketing point of view.

According to Nintendo it will make an appearance outside Japan sometime after Spring. Now that could mean next year, but it could be summer too.
    I wonder if the battery life will remain the same.
    This is something I want, but only if a few worries and concerns are dealt with first...

flogen wrote:
    According to Nintendo it will make an appearance outside Japan sometime after Spring.
    Yea, just read that ;)

Hopefully it's sooner, rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Will it still be able to play GBA games?

AFAIK, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Goodshape wrote:

I agree - a bit too feminine for my liking (luckily it doesnt say it on the system anywhere too blatantly that I can see). At first I thought it was just how it was being referred to but then I saw the logo design and realised its the actual system name.

I suppose it does widen the market (which has its pros and cons) though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I prefer the original...it's the Man's version :D

Advertisement