Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband

• 26-01-2006 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

i currently have an Ntl cable modem which i am trying to connect a wireless router to. i can connect the router to the ntl modem and get internet access from my router if i use a network cable between the router and my laptop. however, when i plug out the network cable and connect wirelessely to the router, it connects ok but i get no internet access. also i can't ping anything. anyone have the same problem or know of a way to get around it? apreciate your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wind00ze

did you turn wep on?
    Also try this, connect to the router from the laptop (wireless)
    then open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /release" and then
    "ipconfig /renew" , then try and ping the router.
    let us know how ya get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Read the manual for your router.
    Spend some time reading it, google any terms you don't understand [fully].

Assuming it's just yourself or a handful of regular users (housemates etc.) the following should be fine:
    128-bit WEP, Open Key (as opposed to shared - it's actually less secure), turn off Broadcast SSID, turn on MAC access lists and enter the MAC of your wireless card (Start->Run->Cmd->ipconfig /all), disable the DHCP server on the router - you don't need it. Set static IPs on your laptop and the other regular devices. They need to be in the same subnet.
    Example-
    Router IP: 192.168.1.1

Laptop:
    IP: 192.168.1.2
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0 (otherwise known as a /24)
    DNS: 192.168.1.1 (your router will forward DNS requests from your laptop to the 'real' DNS servers of your ISP)
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1

You can use this site to generate WEP keys (using a passphrase if you wish).

Of course, if mates call around you'll have to add them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Goresh

Thanks Guys,

tried most of that already, i'll give it a try again when i get home and see what happens,

thanks again for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Conlai

Has anybody hooked up an NTL modem with a ADSL wireless, router & modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

Conlai wrote:
    Has anybody hooked up an NTL modem with a ADSL wireless, router & modem?

That’s not going to work more then likely the ntl modem must be used, so the ADSL built in modem is more the likely going to cause a conflict.

Plus the set ups are different as far as usernames and passwords go. There is no login for the ntl service couple of other differences which the ADSL router might not let you bypass which are going to cause you headaches

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Conlai

I realise that NTL is different to other broadband offerings, however, I am looking to use my existing aADSL modem/wireless router as just a wireless router distributing my NTL signal around the house. And not have to buy a new wireless access point. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Conlai wrote:
    I realise that NTL is different to other broadband offerings, however, I am looking to use my existing aADSL modem/wireless router as just a wireless router distributing my NTL signal around the house. And not have to buy a new wireless access point. Thanks

if the dsl modem/router has a WAN port then you should be ok.

if it only has LAN ports & you connect the modem to one of these then the dsl modem/router will act as a hub & pass the ntl dhcp ip address to the FIRST pc to connect to the router.
    all other pcs will not get a legit ip address as the ntl dhcp only gives one ip address at a time.
    if you only have one pc then it should suit your needs.
    otherwise you will need a new router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If the router doesn't have an ethernet wan interface, you're going to be buying a new router. Linksys WRT54G tbh.

Advertisement