Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System upgrade..few questions.

Options
  • 26-01-2006 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Righteo, I'll be shortly upgrading a few parts in the beast (FX-55, 2gb Ram, 7800GTX 256mb).

I'd love to pick up an X2 4800+ (well I'd love to pick up an FX-60 :D , but it's a bit too expensive. Plus I'll be moving to M2 before the end of the year), so I'm pretty much set on that.
    Aswell, I plan on picking up a second 7800GTX (got my eye on gline's 512mb version..)
    And finally a new soundcard (currently have an HDA Digital X-Mistique Gold card), most likely an X-Fi Fatal1ty.
    I'll also pick up an Xp-90/120 and 2 Artic Coolers for the GTX's.*

So here's the questions:
    Is there any problems involved in overclocking the 4800 (running an A8N-SLI Premium)?
    Is it worth going for a 512mb GTX, or should I stick with the 256mb versions?
    Xp-90 or 120 (space in the case is my main concern here)?
    And last but not least;
    Where the hell can I find those Artic Coolers? I've looked in a good few places and still can't find them.

Cheers in advance.

*Yes, I am boasting :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Read the review a few threads below. The stock AMD Heatsink that now comes with the X2 kicks the XP-90 and 120's arse.

So no point wasting your money. I have one on my new X4400+ and it is quieter than the reference 7800GTX 256MB Heatsink (which in itself is pretty quiet) and only gets noisy at extreme volts and clocks....only really got v loud at 2.7ghz and 1.65V for me :o)

I have an XFI-Fatal1ty and I have to say it is the mutts nutts, I was never a believer in Soundcards til I got this one, I always stuck to the Mobo Sound. I am well and truly converted now!

There is also no point pairing a 256MB 7800GTX with a 512MB one, if that is what you are considering......complete waste of cash.....either get 2 of the 256MB or 2 of the 512MB.

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

The NV Silencers Rev 3 (I have 2) are like hens teeth... rare.
    But they're great.

I wouldn't bother with the 512 if you already have a 256 tbh. Get another 256

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Ah, so I should be able to OC the 4800+ to 2.8 (give or take a bit), without going deaf?

As for the GTX's, I've just had a moment of clarity. It does seem a fairly large bit of cash tbh. And the G71'll be out shortly. Hmm, thanks for that.

One last things about the X-Fi, the remote it comes with, can I control (eg) Winamp with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

XFI Question - Dunno to be honest...google it , you can control the Creative Media Player with it, I have never tried with anything else, I sit at my comp so the remote is youseless to me :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Spike wrote:
    I'll also pick up an Xp-90/120 and 2 Artic Coolers for the GTX's.*

*Yes, I am boasting :D

When showing off how much lunatic-fringe stuff you can afford, please do try to do it in English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

rsynnott wrote:
    When showing off how much lunatic-fringe stuff you can afford, please do try to do it in English.
    Hehe :rolleyes: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

rsynnott wrote:

Quiet you..I've got the flu, I'm allowed make silly mistakes.
    Speaking of which, I've also developed a cure for the cold. And just for that comment you don't get it!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

There are hundreds of German lads selling Arctic cooling silencers on EBAY for around the €20 mark, Get 2;)

Advertisement