Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

this moon thang

• 26-01-2006 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

any views on this paper??? methinks tis a very mixed bag of kittens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Kittens! I like it. What's this topic about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 charlie99

i was referring to the new issue of the paper in DIT, tho i'm a bit hungry too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I dunno, is there a new issue out, or is this about when the new one will come out? It seems a bit random alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

The release of the paper seems to depend on the alignment of the planets and the direction of the wind and the prophecies of a guy from tullamore dressed up in a tunic and looking all druidy. Either that or they have to scrounge for coppers to raise the printing fees after last years - ahem - unpleasentness (am I the only one who thought that was swept under the carpet quietly?).

To be honest the Indy seemed to be a tad more consistent, sometimes this new fangled thingy can be OK sometimes it can be utter tripe. I guess I just don't like change :(

What was last year's unpleasantness (I'm all new and fresh)?

I think the fact that the SU are funding the Compact, which is a load of bollix at the best of times, is a bit of a joke. They should call it the "SU Pat on The Back Newsletter" or something, because it's largely a piece of unnewsworthy tripe. There's never any criticism of the SU. Everything the SU does is gold. The SU should fund an independant publication, instead of this propaganda bull****.

The Moon seems to be a bit hit and miss alright. Why is there a penguin on the front? Is it the linux penguin? What the hell is the point in that?
    The last issue was a bit of mess... it seemed to have been released on the very last day of college before xmas, when nearly no-one would see it. I certainly didn't, despite having a few articles in it.

• Advertisement

The Unpleasentness was the large financial hole that was found in the SU Shop accounts and the six months that it took to sort it out whilst all the time diddly squat was being said to the students by the SU.

They did do an 'information' leaflet after it was all sorted though...

Surely that sort of stuff should be reported? Oh wait... is that where the rift appeared? The DIT Independant thingy reported on it and the SU said no? I KNEW we needed an independant newspaper... the SU tell you nothing and the Compact is just filled with bad writing and SU propaganda. ugh.
    Is the SU constitution available online for download? I'd love to read about it's inner workings. Hmmm.

I think it is available for download but only from a computer in the basement of Bolton Street down the broken stairs of doom, past the rabid dogs of disaster and beyond the door of solid unopening. Anyone who downloads it however will be so shocked at their own success as to explode in a puff of self-gratification.

As I remember it the Indy reporting of the "unpleasentness" amounted to "THE SHOP HAS OVERSPENT BY TRILLIONS!!!! Fear not though the SU Pres is on the matter, all will be well". That was basically reprinted every six weeks whenever someone had the cheek to ask what was going on or the Shop staff came in with plackards and protests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Dunners wrote:
    The Unpleasentness was the large financial hole that was found in the SU Shop accounts and the six months that it took to sort it out whilst all the time diddly squat was being said to the students by the SU.

They did do an 'information' leaflet after it was all sorted though...

the money was just resting in my account...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Andrewjdoyle

The DITSU constitution is available at http://www.ditsu.ie//uploads/DIT Students' Union Constitution.doc (or go to the ditsu website and click downloads).

It doesn't have much in it about the shops though, as they are owned by a separate company, and publications are an operational matter, so there's nothing about them in it either. It's a long-term strategic document, so specific short/medium term policies are not in it.

• Advertisement

It doesn't have much in it about the shops though, as they are owned by a separate company

I thought the shops being owned/run by/as a seperate company is what caused the financial black hole in the first place. Were they not all brought back into the warm friendly bosom of DITSU after the near catastrophe?

Hmmm... are students allowed to attend the SU meetings? I remember seeing one poster that had an "all welcome" sticker on it, but that was only once. I'd love to go and see what people are waffling about, especially our class rep who doesn't bother reporting back to us. Wench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

what's all this about ditsu being broke? where did my money go then? it sure as hell didn't go anywhere near me, or ANY event that dit has organised thus far (bar the clean up after rag trip)

what a sham

Yeah, what is the money going on? Anybody know where you can download the accounts? Please tell me you can download the accounts, because if you can't ooooooh that's a whole lack of transparency and a whole big ol issue of where the hell my money has gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

well 40% goes to tax, and the rest goes to buying anything thats in the college that doesnt have a porter pushing it or a DIT badge on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

Sounds like a good investment to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

well 40% goes to tax, and the rest goes to buying anything thats in the college that doesnt have a porter pushing it or a DIT badge on it.

er.. so, nothing then.

40% goes on tax? Really? I though educational bodies had a much lower rate of tax. So does anyone know if we have access to the accounts?

eh, the educational body isnt being taxed, we are.

and it stands to reason that they have to publish their accounts, all LTD's have to dont they?

eh, the educational body isnt being taxed, we are.

and it stands to reason that they have to publish their accounts, all LTD's have to dont they?

The accounts are published but only in Ultraviolet ink on paper that disintegrates when exposed to any form of light. To access them you must answer riddles three and beat the black knight before venturing past the river of doom and over the peak of disaster to the land of no return where they are kept in the safe of infinite combinations buried in the sands of constant sinking.

It's all explained on the DITSU website, if only I knew the address...

• Advertisement

Dunners wrote:
    The accounts are published but only in Ultraviolet ink on paper that disintegrates when exposed to any form of light. To access them you must answer riddles three and beat the black knight before venturing past the river of doom and over the peak of disaster to the land of no return where they are kept in the safe of infinite combinations buried in the sands of constant sinking.

nice

What tax bracket does 40% come up in, or did ya just make that one up?

Guess I'm gonna have to go slay me a black knight and get my riddle on. I'm all curious now.

i remember being told that at a societies guild meeting. it could have been spin

Guess I'm gonna have to go slay me a black knight and get my riddle on. I'm all curious now.

Thus brave Frankie set off on his quest and was never heard of again...

Advertisement