Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shams CD!

• 26-01-2006 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Anyone heard that Shams CD?, They are a Limerick based comedy crowd. I went to buy one yesterday and they were Sold out. Is it good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Anyone heard that Shams CD?, They are a Limerick based comedy crowd. I went to buy one yesterday and they were Sold out. Is it good?
    the rubber bandits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yeah, ... is it another crowd??
    That isnt in shops (i'd imagine they'd have said here if it was!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Carlito Perez

That isnt in shops (i'd imagine they'd have said here if it was!!)[/QUOTE]

good point Limerick man, I bought the shams cd thinking it woz the rubber bandits. And I woz so disapointed its very poor. They are a bit of a rubber bandits rip off just without the humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Who are the Shams?

Do they do prank calls like the Rubber Bandits?

I wouldn't like the idea of paying for their cd if they're not as good as the Rubber Bandits. Especially seeing as the Rubber Bandits cd is free.

I just went and listened to the shams cd more. It is a disgrace they are stealing Lines from Rubber bandits fonecalls and everything. They are clearly bjust rubber bandits fans who are trying to be like them. they dont have any talent anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The rubber bandits were funnier in my opinion. I have the CD here and it is mostly sketches involving RLO presenters. one of "the shams" is an RLO newsreader whose name escapes me at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Have to agree with all here.... got a copy of the shams cd and it is very disappointing. It could only be mildly humourous to those who are from limerick.... basing the whole thing around RLO is a complete farce to be honest. I mean, (however funny he is), who outside the reaches of the broadcast area, would know who the fcuk Gerry Hannon or Jim from Oola are?

That is the main difference between these hacks and the Rubber bandits... Rubber bandits humour for the most part transcends the localisations. Ok, if you know what a limerick knacker sounds like for example, you'll find it even funnier, but nevertheless, you dont have to be familiar with what goes on to enjoy it,... the humour and wit is still there.

It is first and foremost a money making scheme - the cds are being flogged for 7 lids (last I heard). But the overall product is at best, a half-smile tinged 40 minutes of brain drain. Very disappointing stuff, and a poor effort at an attempt to rip off some of the finest home-grown improvised comedy around.

Sounds rubbish, all the same wherre can you buy it?

Bob, Roper rock, keep it up, great band. ROCK!! a.m.c. Rule.

Just outa da Icon.

Langers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

Yes we have heard the shams Cd, Yes we acknowledge that they are very heavilly influenced by our work. Yes I cry with embarrassment when someone thinks "the shams" is our new CD. I ask all to dispell any rumours that the Rubberbandits were involved in the creation of "the Shams" CD.
    We also apologise to those who mistakenly purchased "the shams" CD thinking it was the Rubberbandits.
    Our new CD is completed, Getting someone to sell it is another story. If our CD ever gets into a shop the public will be informed.
    Thank you friends.

Would empire not sell it?

• Advertisement

kyp_durron wrote:
    Would empire not sell it?
    Or just sell it on ebay, Itunes or your own website

The problem is that it is illegal to record phonecalls, therefore it is illegal to sell. We are less likely to get in trouble if we distribute it freely like the first cd.

Ye should put up a few of the phonecalls on your website, generate a bit of interest, Then flog it out of the back of a van.

The problem is that it is illegal to record phonecalls, therefore it is illegal to sell. We are less likely to get in trouble if we distribute it freely like the first cd.
    Get peoples consent, mabey offer them somthing to get there consent.

Just an idea.

If you were to seek people's concent to publish the phone calls, also they might be more willing to agree to this if a percentage of what you made went to a good cause, i.e millford hospice or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya good idea Billy, id say that would work, donate some of the proceeds to a local charity

Just an idea.

If you were to seek people's concent to publish the phone calls, also they might be more willing to agree to this if a percentage of what you made went to a good cause, i.e millford hospice or something.

Savage idea Billy, that just might work.

Just an idea.

That’s a good idea there is a great level of support for Milford hospice in Limerick and you would also be doing some nice for the community. I couldn’t see how anyone could refuse you, now you just have to find all those people you rang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

well it's not like they don't have their phone numbers or anything ;)

radioman wrote:
    well it's not like they don't have their phone numbers or anything ;)
    Well it was done a few years ago and i am guessing not all those people are working in the same place any more

• Advertisement

To be honest we dont have any of the phone numbers from the first CD, but we do have the numbers for the new one. But does anyone know is it ok to ask for consent after the call, should you not tell them the call is being recorded first?

To be honest we dont have any of the phone numbers from the first CD, but we do have the numbers for the new one. But does anyone know is it ok to ask for consent after the call, should you not tell them the call is being recorded first?

as long as it has not been published it is ok to the best of my knowledge.

it wouldnt be genuine if they knew they were being recorded before the call was made.

i would say it would be fine after, look at any of those prank shows on tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Most of those shows are american and the privacy laws here are a lot stricter

sioda wrote:

This is correct, I think it has something to do with Charlie Haughey.

Does anyone think there would be a public interest in a Rubberbandits sketch CD? All the Familiar Characters in scripted situations, or do people just want to hear us prank call?

Does anyone think there would be a public interest in a Rubberbandits sketch CD? All the Familiar Characters in scripted situations, or do people just want to hear us prank call?

Yes indeed, I would love to hear that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya id like to hear that too

sioda wrote:

Gareth O'Callighan's wind up calls were not breaking the law. Remember them during his Gareth O'Callighan in the Afternoon program in the early nineties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Gareth O'Callighan's wind up calls were not breaking the law. Remember them during his Gareth O'Callighan in the Afternoon program in the early nineties.

I remember those very well, one in particular springs to mind, where he phone a guy up and told him the results from his medical exam were back and revealed that he was in fact homosexual.... your man lost it, saying how could this be.....very distressed. When Gareth revealed the gag, your man threatened him with "You'll be hearing from my solicitor" and hung up.
    Kyp, metal to the kettle bro!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 CarewParkAFC

Is there any more RB CD'S available? I have a cassette of ye're original stuff eg. Child minder, hidden hearing guy, etc.

Get back if u can

From CPAFC

Advertisement