Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shams CD!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

We have 2 brand new CDs that are just lying around doing nothing because of legal things. To be honest, if we could just properly copyright the ideas and characters we would have no problem with them circulating freely like the first CD. There isnt that much money to be made from CDs anyway, what with CD burners, file sharing and that carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

We have 2 brand new CDs that are just lying around doing nothing because of legal things. To be honest, if we could just properly copyright the ideas and characters we would have no problem with them circulating freely like the first CD. There isnt that much money to be made from CDs anyway, what with CD burners, file sharing and that carry on.

cheapest way of copyrighting something is posting a copy of it to yourself, and leave it in the sealed envelope. that way the date on the envelope is proof that it was created before anything that comes after it.

say you post a copy of the CD to yourself in February 2006 and someone tries in May 2007 to sell something you done as their idea, you have proof that you did it first because of the circle date stamp on your sealed envelope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Does it cost much to copyright your work? I'm not up to speed on corpyright law but it couldn't cost that much could it?

Two CDs you say! Are they all prank calls?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

kyp_durron wrote:
    Does it cost much to copyright your work? I'm not up to speed on corpyright law but it couldn't cost that much could it?

costs a couple of hundred euro at least..

as for the rubberbandits..remember cork96fm released their cd of prank phone calls so i presume once you get people's permission u should have no problem

kyp_durron wrote:

Yes two CDs, one of them is entirely prank calls and the other is a sketch cd with prank calls that revolve around a central story.
    We also write plays and make avant garde classical music but those projects will never grace the public ears as the work is bereft of aesthetic beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jay_haych

im jay, one of the shams. sorry to hear none of ye seemed to like our cd but i want to clear up one thing

i hadnt even heard of the rubber bandits until after we made our cd.

we made a few skits just having a laugh and gerry hannan liked it and played them on air. people wanted to buy a cd so we made one and we sold 300 (exactly) copies in december alone at 7 bucks a head. it paid for our christmas and we had a laugh

so some people must have liked it.

most of the skits were directed at the RLO audience but thats because they were the ones who wanted the cd.

having never heard a single rubber bandit skit any plageurism is entirely coincidental.

if they were impersonating the hooded fraternity then obviously the ideas would overlap.

if you want to hear some of our skits go here
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K589K9HB
    we're not professionals dudes, we're just having a laugh.

*to download, click on the link and and on the right of the "MEGAUPLOAD" logo there should be a clock counting down from 45 seconds. At 0 seonds you can download*

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K589K9HB

jay_haych wrote:
    im jay, one of the shams. sorry to hear none of ye seemed to like our cd but i want to clear up one thing

i hadnt even heard of the rubber bandits until after we made our cd

your uncle was caught by the rubber bandits JH.
    http://www.livinghistory.ie/~billy/RubberBanditsGerryHannon.mp3
    we made a few skits just having a laugh and gerry hannan liked it and played them on air. people wanted to buy a cd so we made one and we sold 300 (exactly) copies in december alone at 7 bucks a head. it paid for our christmas and we had a laugh.

Well, when you look at it like that, the skits were based on the station they were being broadcast on, so anyone who has never listened to Radio Limerick One would not have found them funny. I will be honest and say that I only found them mildly funny, except one or two, the Hell computers one particularly.

the other is a sketch cd with prank calls that revolve around a central story.

Is that the eagerly awaited "All hands on declan"?
    Does it have any characters from the first CD?
    Sounds like a good idea, look forward to their release.

JH I am having trouble downloading the files from megaupload.com I can see the files but am unable to find a link to download them. does one have to register with the website to hear the files?

JH I am having trouble downloading the files from megaupload.com I can see the files but am unable to find a link to download them. does one have to register with the website to hear the files?

No you don't have to register.

You just wait until the countdown timer thing in the top righthand corner reachs zero, then a pop up ad jumps in front of the timer(which turns into the link), kill the ad and click on the link, simple as.

• Advertisement

kyp_durron wrote:
    No you don't have to register.

You just wait until the countdown timer thing in the top righthand corner reachs zero, then a pop up ad jumps in front of the timer(which turns into the link), kill the ad and click on the link, simple as.

thats the grandest grazzie

you have to wait 45 seconds then kill the pop up ad. it should be behind it

http://www.geocities.com/theshamslimerick/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kipper Mac

Hi to all, bandit(s) and others. The shams first cd is a fair attempt at a good oul laugh at our own. It's fresh in the sense that there is no outside party involved,no phone calls to others, just a few lads with a fair oul grasp of scobes and how they act. The rubber bandits had a cd yeeeeeeears ago
    and about 2% of it was funny the rest was ok,if you're 13.
    If any shams are logged in, HURRY ON WITH THE SECOND CD!!!!

Kipper Mac wrote:
    Hi to all, bandit(s) and others. The shams first cd is a fair attempt at a good oul laugh at our own. It's fresh in the sense that there is no outside party involved,no phone calls to others, just a few lads with a fair oul grasp of scobes and how they act. The rubber bandits had a cd yeeeeeeears ago

The Shams skits are ok, but only ok, I hope they do a lot better with their second effort. I wouldn't call it fresh either in fairness as it's just a skit CD, which is hardly the most original medium for comedy. but still it's good to hear some local humor, so fair play in that regard.

I think it's the general consensus that the 'bandits are talented guys and would apeel to more then 13 year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Kipper Mac wrote:
    Sounds like Kipper Mac is one of the Shams, promoting themselves!

Big time,

But benefit of the doubt and all that.

Well to give free reign to the rubberbandits to promote themselves and to not do the same for the shams would be unfair.

But I will say the same thing to the shams that I ahve said to the rubberbandits. I will not have you quoteing prices for any CDs here, nor will I have you trying to sell them through the forum.

It might sound hard, but I have to give everyone the same treatment, so don't think that I am picking on you.

If the shams have a website I can add it to the limerick Links sticky though.

as i said in my first post, im one of the shams and as the other 2 shams are computer illiterate i dont think its one of them and kipper is not me. anything i have to say i will say under jay haych.

billy our site link is http://www.geocities.com/theshamslimerick/index.html

our .tk link isnt working

quote "The rubber bandits had a cd yeeeeeeears ago
    If any shams are logged in, HURRY ON WITH THE SECOND CD!!!!"

first i wouldnt say a bad word about anyone and second
    i work in a radio station so all shameless self-promotion is done on RLO lol.

Ok, does anyone want to hear a brand new, unheard piece of rubberbandits material. Go to our website, the new one is called "ferrets". (dont worry Billy, this one is all legal). We encourage all to post their opinion of it on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Carlito Perez

Kipper Mac wrote:

Jesus Christ, what a ridiculous post, You are clearly one of the shams or a close friend. The fact that the shams cd is so influenced by the rubber bandits cd is a joke. Just admit it, and stop being a child throwing stones. the shams cd actually takes rubber bandits lines and reuses them. it is nothing to do with the fact that the shams and rubber bandits both take the piss out of scumbags. Bow down to the rubber bandits coz they are in my oppinion geiniuses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Bobby K.

I have a copy of the shams cd. How do they rip off the rubber bandits? Their whole cd revolves around RLO, Gerry Hannan, Christy Moore type songs and a few 'Sham'esque skits, such as the one about the domestic disturbance and 'who wants to be a millionaire' etc... The rubber bandits ring people up and catch (well attempt to) people out and take off scumbags etc... The one about the car stereo was hilarious. I heard it on email about 3 years ago in work. I also got the shams cd off a guy in work, I have often listened the the Gerry hannan show and I think the guy taking him off is gas. The rubber bandits are very good at what they do, but so are the shams IN MY OPINION. Slagging each other off is pointless. Ive seen this crap b4 on music message boards such as The amc, where a guy in one band slags another off, and then it all kicks off. POINTLESS.
    I love the rubber shams.
    PEACE.

Ok, does anyone want to hear a brand new, unheard piece of rubberbandits material. Go to our website, the new one is called "ferrets". (dont worry Billy, this one is all legal). We encourage all to post their opinion of it on this thread.

stay on topic. do a search for the thread you have already rather than hijacking this one. mkay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Planet Pluto

I like Gerry ,because i can tell him about my sore back and he always listens to me,my husband has passed away and he helped me to get through it very well.All the listeners love the shams and i even bought one for my ssiters nephew Nigel at christmas ,i didnt know what to get him so i heard the Shams and i bought one for him,and he loves it ,i never heard the bandits yet ,why are ye all giving out about yerselves,i love the knight rider one aswell because our sheain used to watch him before he went across the pond for a good job.The shams are good and the bandits are good aswell im sure,ye are all good at making people laugh and sounding funny im sure.Im down to collect the shopping now ,bye HAPPY valentines day for the2 of u. and as my tom used to say "yer all marthors and scholars"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

are ye serious?? Ye are obviously making multiple accounts,members of the Shams or Friends of the Shams

carlito dont be such a hypocrite. if anyone looks at all the posts you make EVERY single one of them is about how great the rubber bandits are. you have not made one comment on any other topic.

YOU are a rubber bandit and dont try and take us all for idiots.

i have already stated that kipper is not a sham.

end of.

to scuba steve "friends of the shams" thing is entirely possible seeings as the account are brand new. in fact i'd put money on it. but it has nothing to do with the shams ourselves.

but whats worng with our friends backing us up?

Why can't we all get along?

Where is the love?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Carlito Perez

jay_haych wrote:
    carlito dont be such a hypocrite. if anyone looks at all the posts you make EVERY single one of them is about how great the rubber bandits are. you have not made one comment on any other topic.

YOU are a rubber bandit and dont try and take us all for idiots.

i have already stated that kipper is not a sham.

end of.

to scuba steve "friends of the shams" thing is entirely possible seeings as the account are brand new. in fact i'd put money on it. but it has nothing to do with the shams ourselves.

but whats worng with our friends backing us up?

I am one of the rubber bandits biggest and oldest fans, I was there in the very start when they made the cd and woz proudly one of the first to recieve it. I in fact know the lads coz I went to secondary school with them. I personally think the rubber bandits are incredibly talented and are the best ting to come outa limerick in a while. If all my posts are bandit related its because of how important that cd is to me, it helped me through so many tough times with the lafter it allowed me to have. I care very much about rubber bandits stuff. thats what being a massive fan is.

Yes we know you carlito perez, and of course we are humbled to have such a loyal fan who seems to keep our name circulating and reverberating throughout the boards. We are however still pissed off with you for the time you informed everyone about a particular website on which contained our whole album for free download, after we specifically requested that no one upload it. In doing so potentially crippling the possibility of our first album ever goin on sale.
    I declare the mystery of whether or not carlito is a Rubberbandit hereby solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

The ****e flinging begins.

Here's my two pennies worth.
    Lets sum it up in terms of success (or possible successes)

Shams: Localised humour, would never go beyond the boundaries of RLO listeners. Like Jay Haych said, it was aimed at a specific audience, and satisfies that specification quite well.

Bandits: Instantly more marketable in terms of its subject matter; You dont have to be from Limerick to understand it. I always found that the 'off the cuff' style is far more entertaining than fully pre-prepared sketches.

When you break it down, both have dealt in different styles. The Shams, have done some nice situation type acting, well prepared and planned out material.
    The bandits fuse improvisational and situation type acting to create a uniquely-styled, difficult to reproduce blend.

In short, both are good in their own right. The bandits material would the most difficult to plagiarise however, which would infer that it is in fact the more original of the two.
    There is NO competition between both acts

Enough out of me. Time for home and away

• Advertisement

our cd (the non RLO skits) was also played on magic fm in sheffield england. and KFM in kerry. and has been played relentlessly in a pub just off times square in NYC (actually rubber bandits stuff went down well there too)

and to date we know for fact that the cd is in florida and serveal english households (",)

and we were contacted by a journalist to do a story within the next week or so. will let you know when (and where) it appears.

plus the fact the shams made 2500+ euros to date from cd sales.

Advertisement