Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shams CD!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Ferrets Phonecall is crap been honest.

All in all i dont like either rubberbandits or the shams
    ya there are a few good laughs to be got but come
    on its not rocket Science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Secret lump

ricey wrote:
    Ferrets Phonecall is crap been honest.

No way Ricey, I thought it was hilarious. Ha Ha, horses stealing phones. Well done lads ha ha, ye havent lost it thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Right, time to put the handbags away ladies. this thread was about the shams CD. I told you already you rubberbandits fans to do a search for their thread and talk about that particular group in that thread.

Any more willy waving and "we are bigger than ye" bull**** by either bandits or shams fans and i will lock both threads and ban both of ye.

this is a last warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

indeedy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Bobby K.

Here's my two pennies worth.
    Lets sum it up in terms of success (or possible successes)

Shams: Localised humour, would never go beyond the boundaries of RLO listeners. Like Jay Haych said, it was aimed at a specific audience, and satisfies that specification quite well.

When you break it down, both have dealt in different styles. The Shams, have done some nice situation type acting, well prepared and planned out material.
    The bandits fuse improvisational and situation type acting to create a uniquely-styled, difficult to reproduce blend.

In short, both are good in their own right. The bandits material would the most difficult to plagiarise however, which would infer that it is in fact the more original of the two.
    There is NO competition between both acts

WELL SAID MAN. THAT JUST ABOUT SUMS IT UP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kipper Mac

Just to clear up something for my little Latino dancer, I am not one of,nor am I a close friend to 'The Shams'. I now know who one of them is and I had the misfortune to hang around with him years ago, a thug at all the matches, a scumbag really,so it's fitting that he's involved. Anyway it doesn't matter, they are makin' money out of havin' a laugh be it brilliant or brutal. Now it's springtime so get out into that garden and PLANT A F*****g TREE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

umm... hmmm... its funny!
    the new boys that are talking about them selves are the shams
    before that the rubber bandits came here and talked about there stuff
    and before that it was the fired show, who got banned for it!!!
    favouritism?!??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Just listened to the tracks on your website, Shams. Here are my opinions:

Track 1, "Cops":
    American cop goes to domestic disturbance in Moyross. Not very funny. Pretty sad really. Domestic violence is a massive problem in homes across the country, and it's not really a laughing matter.

Track 2 "Joey & Christy & Binge Drinking":
    Old men in pub giving out about binge drinking when they're doing the exact same thing as the people they're giving out about. Best track of the lot, cos it's fairly close to the real thing of what old people give out about.

Track 3: "Limerick News":
    When a bad thing happens in Dublin it's brushed over, when it happens in Limerick it's major national news. Not particularly funny, just a way of conveying one opinion about the national media's perception of Limerick.

Track 4: "Millionaire":
    Guy on gameshow doesn't get his way and begins shouting angrily and cursing about this situation. My least favourite one.

Track 5: "Polish Job":
    Polish guy is willing to take job with very bad employment conditions. So what.

Track 6: "Thought Hook"
    The less said the better.

I agree with what most of gaf said. "the cops" one was particularly poor, the american accent is terrible. And their is no imagination anywhere, it is also highly offensive and the polish one may even be a bit racist, where is the irony. (I no im not supposed to say in this thread but) thats where the rubberbandits differ. The new one "ferrets", it is original and imaginative "sending badgers in the post". And even though the character is clearly gay it is sensitive and innofensive to gays by way of irony and surrealism. The Rubberbandits and shams are in completely different leagues.
    Im sorry shams:) xxxx not being mean but theese are just my oppinions and if both yereselves and the rubberbandits put yere stuff out there people will compare and judge. dont be disheartened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jay_haych

Full page article about The Shams on page 3 of this weeks Limerick Post.

Its gonna be in the Leader next week too. (",)

the picture is quite good. taken with a camera phone and all :D It adds effect to what the shams are about

the photo was taken with a digital camera and they shrunk the bejaysus out of it for the limerick post website. but it came out well on the paper itself. i myself think i look quiet dashing

EDIT** just seen the shams article on the botttom of page 10 of the limerick leader. not as good coverage as on page 3 of the limerick-post but good coverage all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

did the rubber bandits ever get any media attention??? if not, its dissapointing because they are way funnier than 'the shams', tbh 'the shams' arent funny at all really.....

the 400+ people who bought the cd seem to think so. as do the daily texts and phone requests on RLO.

the emails coming globally all make note of how funny they seem to find us.

odd that. it seems every single person who dislikes us seems to post on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

just my opinion dude, didnt mean to cause offence. maybe its because i heard the rubber bandits first.

oh no offence dude. i just find it funny that no one on here (ignoring the posts by people who signed up just to post about how good the shams were as i doubt the genuinity of them) had a good thing to say about the shams. meanwhile we're heading towards the €3000 euro profit mark after 3 months.

actually someone slagged us by saying we were jsut a money making thing.

damn right we are. and we're having a blast too. really enjoying our 15 minutes and in 3 months when we're long forgotten and finally unfunny i guess we'll just have to settle for the fun ride it was and the car it bought ;)

btw - niall toibin (imdb profile here) heard the cd before being interviewed by gerry hannan last night and asked for it to be posted up as he thought it was hilarious

You will find though that the age profile of boards.ie is different to that of RLO. therefore not many boards.ie users will be RLO listeners.

RLO would be aimed more at an older audience. where as boards.ie is populated by people in their teens and 20s and 30s mostly.

Therefore it is safe to assume that those that do not listen to RLO do not get the first CD.

I think feedback on the second CD which I assume is not so centred on RLO would be more accurate of what a younger audience think of the Shams.

great point.

• Advertisement

that being said though you havent made it until you have pissed off a local politician. when Ger hannan played rubberbandits he put a call from an angry mayor on air to give out about their material.

jim from oola was livid does that count

Is it true Jim from oola jumped off arthurs quay roof after playing a 'johnny the fiddler record backwards'???
    Damn shame, Jim was a lovely man

that being said though you havent made it until you have pissed off a local politician. when Ger hannan played rubberbandits he put a call from an angry mayor on air to give out about their material.
    What exactly was said? What were the nature of the Mayors complaints?

he was spouting some ****e about how they were mocking limerick people and such language should not be on radio blah blah blah

was a couple of years ago, bout 2001 or thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

jay_haych wrote:
    meanwhile we're heading towards the €3000 euro profit mark after 3 months.

Seeing as you guys are all too happy to boast about how much dough you've made off this CD, I hope you got your tax affairs in order... :p

thast the great thing. performing artists in this country are exempt from being taxes. wooo & hoo

jay_haych wrote:
    thast the great thing. performing artists in this country are exempt from being taxes. wooo & hoo

Hey Jay-Haych, when is the eagerly awaited SHAMS album due out? My brother went into filmdrome on saturday looking for it but gerry hannan said it wont be out for a few weeks. I'll buy a couple anyway. Heard the shams rendition of 'my way' on tues nite, very good.

The new cd entitled "sweartagodyerhonor" is now finished and will be available Tuesday 18th of April.

Compared to the first one its much better to the point where I tell people not to bother buy the first one anymore.

• Advertisement

this is not a thread bump but a genuine question. i've been told by several people that will leahy on 2fm has been playing sham material on air. can anyone confirm or deny this. ive no problem with it i'd just like to know for certain as all the rumor has been "friend of a friend" stuff

If anyone wants to hear some new material click on the link here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YWVDN9K7
    (To the right of the "megaupload" logo a clock should start counting down from 45 seconds. After this has reached zero a pop-up window will appear. close this and then click on "click here to download")

Advertisement