Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

02 Ford Mondeo( Alloys Stuck )

Options
  • 26-01-2006 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

oK GOT A OUNCTURE ON FORD MONDEO AND I DONT HAVE THE ATTACHMENT TO REMOVE THE SECURITY NUT THAT LOCKS THE WHEELS. I SHOULD HAVE RECEIVED THIS WITH THE CAR BUT DIDN'T AND NO SECURITY NUMBER TO DUPLICATE IT EITHER. IS MY ONLY OPTION HAMMERING OFF THE WHEELS AND FITTING NEW ONES? WHERE WOULD I GET THIS DONE AND HOW MUCH? THANKS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

boy_wonder wrote:
    oK GOT A OUNCTURE ON FORD MONDEO AND I DONT HAVE THE ATTACHMENT TO REMOVE THE SECURITY NUT THAT LOCKS THE WHEELS. I SHOULD HAVE RECEIVED THIS WITH THE CAR BUT DIDN'T AND NO SECURITY NUMBER TO DUPLICATE IT EITHER. IS MY ONLY OPTION HAMMERING OFF THE WHEELS AND FITTING NEW ONES? WHERE WOULD I GET THIS DONE AND HOW MUCH? THANKS

Well basically why the hell would you hammer off the wheels man? that's the sillyest idea ive heard in ages it'd damage the car loads. Try going to a ford garage and give them the chassis number off the car and if the locks are ford ones they should be able to replace the key yoke or tell you the code to get a new yoke cut, someone with a brain in a ford garage should be able to work out the code or how to get a new key, Alternatively, get someone (mechanic preferably) to drill out the centre of the locks, but this is really dodgy as it could do damage too. Seeing as it'd cost you about €650 at least for new alloys from ford (the 18 inch ones are about 2 grand), not to mention new wheel hubs because "hamering off" the wheels would badly damage the hubs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

"Hammer" off was the phrase used by 2 Ford dealer garages and Ford Ireland.

These replacement attachment can only be duplicated using a secutiry card(similar size to credit card) and i don't have this and can't get it as previous owner is MIA. The security nuts come as an extra and are not related to the chassis number, Apparantely!!??

So when he said hammer off i think he meant drilling as you mentioned. He said quik fit might do it but wont be held responsible for any damage caused.

Just want to see if anyone else has had the same problem and what they did??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Apparently taking a slightly larger (or is it smaller..anyway...so that its wedged on) socket and "forcing" it over the locking nut will allow you remove it. In theory.

Your mileage may vary.

An autofactor may have a set of master keys which they could use to remove it. There are only so many locking nut key patterns im sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

bp_me wrote:
    Apparently taking a slightly larger (or is it smaller..anyway...so that its wedged on) socket and "forcing" it over the locking nut will allow you remove it. In theory.

An autofactor may have a set of master keys which they could use to remove it. There are only so many locking nut key patterns im sure.

In theory yes. But that could go badly wrong, and has. My girlfriend'd dad tried that sort of thing and got the socket stuck too!

@OP: I noe think i know what the idiot you spoke to you meant. He either meant use some sort of mallet/hammer and a chisel type device to break the lock, or drilling the bolt but definately actual "hammering off" of the wheels should be left for ultra extreme cases such as when last year a hot rod i had got the wheel and suspension bent up under it so we couldnt get it bck on the trailer., so we took a sledge hammer to the wheel to beat it off and out of the way so we could cut the suspension strut out with a power saw. but that was only because it was €300 worth of a stripped out '88 ford fiesta 1.1.
    I really dont like the sound of someone in a ford garage using a term so ill fitting and wild as "hammer off" as regards undoing a lock nut.
    If he'd merely taken you up wrong when you said the wheel was stuck on, he could have meant Giving a stuck (rusted on) wheel a hit of a mallet to loosen it when removing it to change a tyre.
    However, i must saw that I work in the motor trade , in a fleet management capacity rather than sales or in a garage or what not and i've been noticing lots of what is, IMO, ignorance and misinformation from even main dealer staff who sometimes say the stupidest most senseless things because they assume you know nothing about cars.
    Anyway, ranting over. Was just freaking out at the thought of you actually letting someone at your car with a hammer to beat the stuck wheel of forcefully, which would rip yhe wheel nuts out or pull the hub off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Take Bp's advice,ive done it twice before and its worked fine,if you can get someone with an airgun to do it and it'l be off in no time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johnblack111

eireal wrote:
    Take Bp's advice,ive done it twice before and its worked fine,if you can get someone with an airgun to do it and it'l be off in no time

all the advice you've been given is sound but unnessessary,
    BOLT EXTRACTORS. any motor factors would have them. the sit tightly over the locking nut and grip it as you losen. the harder you try to losen the tighter they grip. they are designed for hex head bolts but they work . job done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Halfords sell a locking wheel nut remover....just a reverse threaded nut which attaches to a drill and removes the nut....thats provided you can get access to the bolt (as in provided it isn't deeply recessed into the wheel)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ford generally use McGard wheel nuts, and only use one of seven different combinations. I had to get locking wheel nuts off a Ford last year, and the Ford dealer had an adaptor to fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

colm_mcm wrote:
    Ford generally use McGard wheel nuts, and only use one of seven different combinations. I had to get locking wheel nuts off a Ford last year, and the Ford dealer had an adaptor to fit it.
    My McGards have a 4 digit code .....somehow I'm guessing their is more than 7 combinations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

Thanks guys.
    will get around to it someday!! probably my next puncture:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Something like a universal socket might be able to take off the security nuts. Like the Large Gator Grip Socket on this page:
    http://www.toolsforstagecraft.com/n317.htm

Advertisement