Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.NET Framework

Options
  • 26-01-2006 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the .NET framework can be installed on XP Media Centre Edition?

I understand it can't be installed on XP home, but I believe XP Media Centre Edition to be similar to XP Pro?

Anybody know any more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The .NET framework can be installed on all versions of Windows from 98 up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Ok thanks, I think I'm a small bit confused.
    Can the IIS be installed on all versions of windows also and is this something that's needed for .NET development?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

IIS is needed for developing ASP.NET pages, or Web Services. Unless you are using either of these, or are installing to a server you want to run ASP.NET programs from, you don't need it. ASP is only supported on certain Windows Platforms (I think this is where you are becoming confused about what will run on XP Home and XP Pro).

IIS will be available to install from your Windows disc, you can find it by going to the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, Internet Information Services. You will need IIS 5 or higher for installing .NET.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

ASP.NET 2.0 does not require IIS of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

There is meant to be some sort of hack to get IIS onto XP Home. Check with google

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

yes you can install IIS on XP home......
    i did it before....google it....

Also the ASP.net WebMatrix does not require IIS

http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1

Advertisement