Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC Players to play in BDO tournaments

Options
  • 26-01-2006 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭

From the BDO Website:
    The British Darts Organisation is delighted to confirm that the International Darts League (May 6-14) and Bavaria World Darts Trophy (Sept.2-10) will continue as BDO/WDF Grand Slam events, with twenty-eight BDO/WDF players [top 24 plus 4 wildcards] competing for the two most prestigious darts titles in The Netherlands.

However, Dutch broadcaster SBS-6, who have just enjoyed the biggest TV audiences in their history with the 2006 BDO Lakeside World Professional Darts Championships, have decided to invite four non-BDO/WDF players in 2006.

This has been done in agreement with SBS-6 and the owner and promoter of both tournaments, Schoofs Management & Events/Maximum Score.

It is important to confirm that both majors will continue as BDO/WDF ranking events, with all available points going only to the BDO/WDF players competing.

Very very interesting news.

First of all - hopefully it'll mean that some broadcaster will pick up these events and show them in the UK/Ireland.

Secondly the PDC contracts that all players have to sign state that you cannot play in any non-PDC tournament that has the word "world" in it. The WDT is not on until September so its expected new contracts will be in place by then.

Rumours that Co Stompe is currently in negotiations with Barry Hearn about a transfer to PDC. Both Barney and Stompe have signed deals (before Christmas) with SBS-6. The new news means that both will play in the IDL and WDT regardless of which organisation they are in.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This is interesting news all right. It seems to me that darts is slowly getting closer to becoming one organisation. Will be good to see the PDC players up against the BDO players but like I said with the ranking points etc I hope that it doesnt begin to get too messy.

Barney said that one of the main reasons he didnt want to join the PDC is because he wouldnt get shown on TV in Holland at all and would lose most of his fans because of it. This means that realistically he could join the PDC and still play in the dutch tournaments. I wonder will this have an effect on his decision about playing in the PDC?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭The Rooster

As Barney would be guranteed one of the PDC wildcards into the Dutch events if he did join the PDC, his choice is now:

BDO - one big event - Lakeside and two of the smaller majors the Winmau and the Leendesk, where the prizemoney is on a par to the minor PDC events such as Gibraltar etc.

PDC - 5 big events the Worlds, World Matchplay, World Grand Prix, UK Open and Las Vegas - plus the bonus of the Premier League.

Either way he plays in the two big Dutch tournaments.

The choice to join the PDC would appear compelling. Any downside to the PDC would be in the first year or so where he may miss out on some of the majors because he'd have to go through the qualifiers, which is a bit of a lottery, while he's making his way up the rankings. The PDC are very reluctant to give wilcards. They had offered one to Andy Fordham to the world championship and when that news leaked there was uproar among the lower ranked PDC players. The issue went away as Fordham turned them down anyway. I understand that Barney has until the end of the month to decide and I'd guess wildcards are one of the stumbling blocks in negotiation - but we'll know for sure within a week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I hope he does join the PDC and it seems the best choice for him. I cant see the PDC offering him any wildcards hough but within a year he will have moved up the rankings enough, and I would expect him to qualify for most of the majors anyway. The money is in the PDC at the moment and thats what is going to hurt the BDO.

The only decision facing Barney is whether he wants have one more crack at equalling Eric Bristows record

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Still no confirmation re Barney and Stompe. Barney was holding out for a wilcard to the World Matchplay at Blackpool, but Hearn held firm. They also wanted a guarantee that they would take both Dutch places available for Purfleet, but again Hearn held firm and said one place is being held for van der Rassel, so Stompe will only get in to the 2006/7 world championships if either himself or Barney qualify by right through the rankings. So Barney and Stompe are still mulling it over, but are expected to accept within the next couple of days.

Some very disappointed and disillusioned BDO players out there as a result of the IDL annoucement in the opening post of this thread. It was supposed to be the top 28 in the BDO/WDF rankings plus 4 wildcards, but now its down to just the top 24 - this announcement being made with just one more qualifying event to play. And there could be worse news to follow. Apparently Hearn was exepcting 8 rather than just 4 PDC players would be invited - so there may be a further announcement next Friday.

I said this in a previous thread that its all just going to get far too messy and too many people are going to be annoyed no matter what happens. You gotta understand the feelings of the BDO players, it is their major tournaments not the PDC's and its unfair that players who have nothing to do with their association are taking up places in the major tournaments. BDO players who by right should be allowed play are going to miss out. If I was one of those players I would be seriously annoyed with the BDO.

This whole situation is just going to cause serious unrest between players. At least Hearn is doing one thing right and refusing to offer wildcards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement