Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best place to Advertise cars for sale

Options
  • 26-01-2006 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of cars for sale. I have tried advertising them in a number of different places...

1) CarsIreland.ie
    No Response whatsoever

2) Carzone.ie
    Very disappointed with the response here. I think it is a very good site and would always be the first place I'd look myself when looking for a car. But so far after advertising for almost 2 months I only got 1 response from it.

3) Ebay.ie
    Very surprised with this. Eventhough there are very little cars on here (only 20 at the moment) and the car I advertised there didn't sell, for the duration of the auction I did receive 4 or 5 phonecalls from interested parties.

4) BuyandSell.ie
    Have got the most calls from here. And it's free.

Out of them all, I would have to say I still think the Buy and Sell is the best. I know you can't have your pictures but I think it reaches the widest audience. I think that we (people who use the internet every day) tend to forget that there are still an awful lot of people out there who are not on the internet and who still rely on printed ads when they go looking for a car.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples opinions\experiences on where you think the best place to advertise is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

CBG.ie Only place worth a look imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've sold 2 cars through the buy and sell. One went in less than 2 weeks and the other took about 5 months of on and off advertising. Both were bought by the first person to view them. Never advertised anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

ballooba wrote:
    CBG.ie Only place worth a look imo.

I'm not so sure. As a buyer, it is a very easy site to use. Very easy to search etc... But the cars there tend to be much more expensive than what you find on Carzone and on the Buy and Sell.

As a seller (advertiser) which do you think would be looked at more....?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Carzone would be my first port of call if I wanted to search for a car. CBG would be a close second. When I advertised on CBG, I made sure to splash out for the "premium" advert - i.e. the adverts that will always appear on the first page of results - if, of course, it matched the criteria of the search. CBG has the added bonus of the weekly printed magazine.

However, advertising online is only handy to reach people who are actively looking for a car. One simple thing to do is put a "For Sale" sign on the window of your car whenever you are parked in a public area. This may attract people who may not have been specifically looking for a car, but like the look of yours. I got a surprising amount of queries doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

eoin_s wrote:
    .... One simple thing to do is put a "For Sale" sign on the window of your car whenever you are parked in a public area. This may attract people who may not have been specifically looking for a car, but like the look of yours. I got a surprising amount of queries doing this....

You know, I forgot to put this one in. I did that too. I got a lot of queries but they were all time wasters. I know will you get a certain amount of timewasters when you are selling a car anyway and you just have to accept it. But I found that everyone that rang me from seeing a sign on the car was a complete time waster. People who just liked the look of it but hadn't put any thought into it before they rang you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another one to take a look at is http://www.autotrader.ie. You can submit photos up there and they publish a magazine every month or so.

There is also a for sale forum here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=10&f=495

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

BnA wrote:
    You know, I forgot to put this one in. I did that too. I got a lot of queries but they were all time wasters. I know will you get a certain amount of timewasters when you are selling a car anyway and you just have to accept it. But I found that everyone that rang me from seeing a sign on the car was a complete time waster. People who just liked the look of it but hadn't put any thought into it before they rang you.

Putting the guide price, a list of specifications and engine size may go some way to reduce the eejits ringing you. Either way, it's free and not limiting your market to people specifically looking for a car.

I don't really like Autotrader, but that is just personal preference. I find the interface quite ugly and awkward to use. It seems to have grown though, I seem to remember it being mostly Norn Iron cars.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Local newspapers are a good idea also, or local classified mags. Eg in the North West, The Dealer is a good place to put a car up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

in saying i got my car of carzone.ie it was always my first port of call because it was so easy to browse through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

How come nobody has suggested the FS Motors section on boards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I checked here and carzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Also put a "For sale" sticker on your window and park it somewhere busy :)

The for sale sign on the window, in a public place, may land you in trouble with the gardai under casual trading legislation.

alias no.9 wrote:
    The for sale sign on the window, in a public place, may land you in trouble with the gardai under casual trading legislation.

Never had any trouble, neither have the 10+ people who I know that do it on a daily basis :rolleyes:

JohnCleary wrote:
    Never had any trouble, neither have the 10+ people who I know that do it on a daily basis :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm only telling you what I've been told by a garda. Maybe it's something they hold back for scumbags they haven't been able to catch for something else.

alias no.9 wrote:
    Hey, I'm only telling you what I've been told by a garda. Maybe it's something they hold back for scumbags they haven't been able to catch for something else.

Possibly, I wouldnt be able to tell you as ive never been in trouble with the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Woogie Boogie

After some pain sold my sisters beloved golf in Dec.
    CarsIreland.ie 2 enquiries
    Carzone.ie none
    Cbg.ie none
    Autotrader 2 enquiries think these came from the magazine though

Didnt try any others

Advertisement