Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for massive muti beginner

• 26-01-2006 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Been wanting to try out a mmorpg for a while now but never have the time to do so, though recently my housemate has been playing WoW all the time and it looks like something i'd make the time to try.

The thing is though i'd like to try something that isn't WoW or eve (two games i know but looking for something else) so i'm looking for recommendations of trials/demos that are available or even betas for someone beginning into masive online games.

Thanks

[EDIT] Decided that i should mention that i have 2mb wireless but there can be some fierce lag drops so that could factor the choice.
    Anyhow thanks for recommendations so far. [/EDIT]

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Maybe the everquest 2, 10 day trial?
    Guild wars is good also and unlike the others theres no monthly subscription.
    I wouldnt dismiss wow if i were you.
    Theres many that have trials,Dark age of Camelot i think has a trial period also.
    Ive seen anarchy online mentioned also.
    For something different how about a MMO first person shooter?
    From 14th of Feb its free to play for a year,[some ranks apparently limited however but you still play the game]
    http://planetside.station.sony.com/

Just searched for Everquest 2 trial webie for ya.
    http://www.trialoftheisle.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Star Wars Galaxies also do a 10 day trial methinks for something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

thanks for link Dcully... the trial for everquest is only 20mb is that right as some seem over 1gb in size? does it update itself online? (can't test it now as in collage) but still a starting point.

planetside would be top of my list but unfortunately the sometimes frequent lag spikes i get might make a fps unplayable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I think initially its bout 20 mb,that file then downloads the full demo which is essentially the full game id imagine.
    Its about 1.5 Gig i think and i assume its just a matter of activating full game if and when you want to play on after trial.
    I just played the trial myself ,was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I agree EQ2 is quite good. You should expect all mmorpgs to be around 1gb+ I'd imagine. I didn't find lag to be a big issue in PS, but it depends on how frequent your connection problems are I guess. Again, when the free time starts you can give it a go and see if it suits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

planetside would be top of my list but unfortunately the sometimes frequent lag spikes i get might make a fps unplayable.

Planetside is a lot of fun, and to be honest, we all get lag at one point or another. Since there is no real loss when you die (you don't lose xp / skills / levels) you just respawn, grab your gear and off you go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

if you are going to try a MMORPG your best off deciding what type you want to play they all vary

Superhero's
    Villians
    Medieval + Magic
    Futuristic
    etc

Have a look at RFONLINE its a brand new MMORPG that will be released in Feb. so you will be starting at the beginning with everyone else, so you should never have a problem finding people to level with plus everyone will be leaning the game together which is good. Beta starts for RFOnline I "think" in early feb the 4th maybe ... not 100% sure on that though just a rumour, but the game goes live on the 24th and its looks class !!

Worth checking out anyway dl a trailer and see for yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Imo, even though i've been playing Dark Age of Camelot for years, i would give City of Heroes a go. It's pretty newbie friendly, has a nice learning curve and a friendly atmosphere.

Also i have heard some bad things about Dark & Light also, so i would probably steer clear of it tbh.

Advertisement