Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldering Mod Advice

Options
  • 26-01-2006 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

ok, I thought I'd make the title interesting so that people would take a peek :D you probably thought of a pc with grass growing on the top, right :p

anyway, the actual title should be Sold-ering mod advice. Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has ever done vcore droop mods to their motherboards, and if they found it really difficult. If you don't know what a vcore droop mod is, look here.

Anyway, these photos are under extremely high magnification, as you can tell by the size of the bolt-holes for the heatsink bracket. So I'm wondering if anyone from this forum has ever attempted a soldering job that small and how you got on with it?

Cheers for any info,
    C

& for anyone wondering, the reason I want to do this is because vcore instability is messing with my overclock....I've set vcore to 1.6, and it ranges from 1.66 to 1.47. apparently a p4 can take about .1 volt variance, .2 is just too much...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have soldered on that level, I use a butane powered needle point soldering iron, available for about 40yoyos from your local B&Q.

Well worth a go if you don't mind making **** of your mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭craigcharlie

thanks inqui, that's really good info... i think the two most important things for this mod are a decent soldering iron and a magnifying glass...

Advertisement