Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine

• 26-01-2006 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Ok, honestly now - seeing as the points are so high and statistics show a lot more people are going for medicine than say they are, who here is going for med? Im one of the many going for it and im interested in seeing is there many here doing the same. I don't understand why many people are embarrased to say they're going for it, you should be proud and confidant of you choice. Of course it'll be tough if you let people know and don't get it but if you do, people are mainly full of support for you.

Are you going for MEDICINE? 11 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    100% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

What are the points for it this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Yeah that's why they're so high these days because so many people want to do it. I wouldn't say the reason behind it has anything got to do with helping people.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Minimum was 590 in Trinners and I assume points were of a similar level throughout the country.

Wasn't helped by the governemnt, apparently, not letting Trinity open up a few more places for medical students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shane0312

There might be a bit of good news regarding the points this year. I read in the paper today that Mary Hannifin has got funding for 70 more places this year, thats around 14 extra places for each college. This could make the points decrease, but the publicity around it especially around Cao time could encourage even more people to go for it and the points may stay the same. But its a step in the right direction and hopefully she will follow it through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i'd LOVE to do it....but i greatly doubt i'd get the points! i've been thinking whether or not to put it down on my cao or not...i'm not too sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I'm putting it down anyway, first five choices.

As far as I can remember, TCD was 590*, RCSI leaving cert scholarship was 600, otherwise it was 580, UCD was 575* or 580 (can't remember which), UCC was the same, methinks, NUIG 570*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

When you say that you are putting down medicine everyone looks at you like a) your a weirdo or B) you have a gigantic ego!! Well thats the experience I have found anyways. Ive given up been specific about my CAO choices when people ask me now, i just vaguely mumble something! I got sick of all the "oh thats a very hard course, high risk of suicide"etc etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Yeh me to dr.Barbie. I do not like telling people what I am going for! There is no need for people to know especially smelly adults (parents friends - competetive parents friends grr)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Yeah people always seemed to say "What YOU'RE going for medicine?!" It was becoming really annoying until I got the results for xmas(which gives hardly any indication to your lc:rolleyes: ). Ah so these days it's just a vague answer "Oh I'm not too sure yet."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

here is a bird who wishes to get a place of pharmacy in RCSI............

fly over ~~~~~~~~~~

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

can anyone explain to me what the situation is with medicine in UCD?? apparently if you do some science degree or something you can do a postgrad in medicine in 4 years??

anyone hear anything about this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

can anyone explain to me what the situation is with medicine in UCD?? apparently if you do some science degree or something you can do a postgrad in medicine in 4 years??

anyone hear anything about this??
    UCD are introducing a 4-year medicine course for people who already have degrees - AFAIK they don't have to be science degrees, could be arts subjects etc. Thing is, the competition for places is going to be desperate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Kwekubo wrote:
    UCD are introducing a 4-year medicine course for people who already have degrees - AFAIK they don't have to be science degrees, could be arts subjects etc. Thing is, the competition for places is going to be desperate...
    i'd say preference would be given to someone with a life science degree.

ask someone who did an arts degree what goes on inside a cell and they'll look at you like you've 12 heads. if ucd go ahead with that, they'll be handing out degrees in the medicine behind make-up.

there is of course back doors into everything. if you want something that bad, make it happen. there's always a way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

You're right, there's always hope. After all, the standard undergraduate course is only one year longer in most places anyway by this stage!

Here's the UCD horizons link for the grad course.http://www.ucd.ie/horizons/programmes/medgrad_overview.htm Trinity are also bringing in grad entry in the next couple of years.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

If they did away with guidance counsellors there wouldn't be such mad points for Medicine. In my school if you were intelligent and took science subjects the guidance counsellor tried pushing you into Medicine, if you were intelligent and didn't take science subjects she'd try pushing you into Law, if she thought you were stupid she suggested Arts in UCD. I've heard similar things about the guidance counsellors in other schools too, especially private ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

i was told to put medicine down on my CAO, even though i didn't do biology or chemistry, and i hate blood, needles and doctors.
    guidance councillors suck - go with your heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jaspersmiley

It is hard that there is so much competition to get a place on a medical course. I wonder if the new plans being introduced for admission will make a difference. For the next 2 or 3 years, entry will still be based on the Leaving results but after that it will come down to interviews and apptitude tests. I think this is a good development but it might make it even tougher to get a place ont he course. what does everyone think?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I think that really depends on what kind of person you are. If you're the kind of person who would make an excellent doctor but hasn't a hope in hell of getting 570+, but could get over 450 points easily, then it will significantly improve your chances. If you are the kind of person who could easily get 570+ points but has no social skills, then it will make it harder but then again you shouldn't be a doctor anyway. I know that's taking two opposite extremes but you can kinda see my point anyway! Unless the number of places increases significantly at the same time then it will hold that it will be easier for some, harder for others, but I do think it's the way it should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i heard a good thing on the radio about the whole medicine situation. it was a doctor on, talking about suggestions instead the points system, and their flaws.

I always thought that an interview and appitude test would be a much better idea, but what this guy was saying changed my mind somewhat.

He said, a commen misconception is that to be a doctor you should be considerate, caring etc, but went on to say that a huge amount of people in medice don't even deal with people and spend their days in the labs so why should they particularly need to be personable people. Basically, there is no "cetain type" of person made for medicine and so interviews are unecessary. Also, the leaving cert keeps students annonomous (sp?) and so background ,area etc are left out of it which they (wrongly) may not be in an interview situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jaspersmiley

I see your point... that could become an issue and Ireland has been notorious for that kind of thing in the past. If this new system comes in, someone getting say 550 who comes from a poor background, is up against someone who got 450 who's parents are doctors or whatever.. who are they gonna favour?

Even though I dont like the way the points for medicine are so high (anything short of 600 and you're on tender hooks), it is a fair system but that said, you dont need to be a genius to be a doctor. I think the introduction of more places will make a big difference. 70 more this year and 60 for each year after till 2010 when there will be double the places there are now. That prob wont have too much of a tumbling affect on points but I can see them coming down to 550 which is more reasonable a target.

It was on the news that theres a worry about the graduate entry just being a ploy of the government to charge students already with degrees the tuition fees... that is something they should examine... and maybe halve the fees for such applicants... then again, the money does have to come from somewhere for all that education....

Only time will tell with this one I think but I for one am very glad that extra places are being given. I think 2008 will be the first year they introduce this interview as well as points for Medicine. I wonder will they do it for courses like Dentistry, Pharmacy and Vetinary too....

• Advertisement
Advertisement