Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Palm Treo 650

• 26-01-2006 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Anyone know how I can get one online? Trouble is I'm on meteor, and the settings just don't seem to be working for me. I contacted meteor before, didn't work. Brought it into their store and the girl behind the counter looked terrified by it (quite a large handset with touchscreen and full qwerty)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

some time ago I did test a Meteor SIM in my Treo,
    think I just used the settings from this board

ISP GPRS

Profile Name: Meteor ISP
    Connection Type: GPRS
    APN: isp.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: isp
    IP and DNS are supplied on connection.

don't recall if I had to call Meteor and tell them to enable data.
    (Definitely had to do this when using Vodafone SIM)

To get the settings into the phone:-

Choose the Prefs icon from the Applications page.
    Then select Network from the Communications section

Meteror profile probably already exists, otherwise create it
    with details as per above +

If editing pre-existing profile hit the modify button to shange status from Locked to Unlocked

Click Details Button
    Fallback none is OK

Click Advanced Button
    ensure IP address 'automatic' box is ticked
    also check 'Query DNS'

(as both these settings are configured by Meteor upon connection)

Hit 'OK' twice to return to Prefs screen then 'Connect' to see if it works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭bidireland

i got mine on ebay from an Irish company in Blanchards town called Luzern Tech. I think it was a recon but I couldn't tell.

Then get a 2gb SD card and you can watch movies and store loads of songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Lighthouse_Cat

Thanks guys. I lost it a couple of weeks ago anyway. Rather pissed about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

How did the Treo work on Meteor as I am thinking about the same thing. Can you get email, go online and send messages including mms without any problems

richieg wrote:
    How did the Treo work on Meteor as I am thinking about the same thing. Can you get email, go online and send messages including mms without any problems

dunno about mms, never got around to configuring that.

GPRS is painfully slow / expensive.
    if using for email use a pop/smtp email client app (either the built in one or any other) rather than trying to use webmail.

for web some sites almost impossible to use on small screen (constant scrolling around small window of page)
    sites specifically designed for PDA work best.

also FYI Vodafone RTG now supports GPRS Internet

• Advertisement

Would you recommend 1.
    I currently have a SE W800i and a IPAQ 2210 PDA.I would like to get 1 device that can handle my phone and message needs as well as being my organiser. I like the option of using an SD card and the large choice of 3rd party software. I use the PDA for looking at photos, video, organiser, password minder and news reader (rss and offline reading), calculator and convertor.
    Would the treo be the best option or is there anything else you would recommend.

richieg wrote:
    Would you recommend 1.
    I currently have a SE W800i and a IPAQ 2210 PDA.I would like to get 1 device that can handle my phone and message needs as well as being my organiser. I like the option of using an SD card and the large choice of 3rd party software. I use the PDA for looking at photos, video, organiser, password minder and news reader (rss and offline reading), calculator and convertor.
    Would the treo be the best option or is there anything else you would recommend.

If you want an integrated device the Treo is hands down the best device.
    I'm not familiar with the IPAQ as I've always gone for PalmOS over WinCE or PocketPC or whatever MS are calling it now.

Palm Pilot Professional > Palm Vx > Treo 600 > Treo 650

In my opinion MS has always been bloated and buggy, if the current ver has an advantage over palm it's in multitasking. The palm might seem like a step back being very 'modal'. However realplayer will run in the background (allowing you to read a book or play chess etc... in the foreground) and there are chat programs that will run in background now (Mundu im v3). Other than that what do you need it for on a PDA?

palmOS supports better screen resolution and the 650 takes advantage of that 320x320 (think PocketPC is stuck at 240x240)

As a phone the Treo 600 wasn't as good as my Nokia 6150 both in terms of call quality and batttery life. The Treo 650 has improved in both these areas.

In terms of caller groups, ringtone management etc...
    Checkout CALLFILTER V1.3.1 if the bog standard phone app doesn't do enough.

Recommend Splash ID as a password minder

Plays video fine with the right s/w and assuming you have a SD card (up to 2Gb) It's great for watching music videos / Southpark on the LUAS whenever some trendy type sits next to you with his 'cool' ipod or MP3 phone.

If you're really into the multimedia then maybe don't go integrated, but get a Palm LifeDrive as your organiser (4GB hd + bluetooth + wifi) plus a bluetooth phone to act as modem.

I think wifi is the only thing that the Treo is missing and even than can be added via SD card. (I have a blue2net, so I can pretend I have wifi in the house or garden)

The camera is only SVGA, but is much improved from the Treo 600 and now supports video (some were hoping the camera would be 1.3 Mpix) but on an integrated device you can't really complain.

If you really prefer MS operating system, then there is a Treo 700w, dunno if GSM version is available yet. Also in the pipeline is Treo 700p palm OS version. This should mean a drop in Treo 650 prices, both new and s/hand.

Someone in thread mentioned refurbs from LuzernTech, that's where I got mine too. (not sure it even was a refurb, everything was in original packaging)

In summary yes go for it, flog it on ebay or buy&sell if you change your mind.

I'm holding out to see if the rumours of the new video ipod come true. If so that will be my main multimedia device and carry a few pics etc on the treo and maybe some short video clips.
    I used to have a few palm devices m500 and tungsten and I still have a good few programs. In general should they work with the treo?
    I am looking at the same crowd in blancherstown to buy off, it sounds like you have had no problems. Does MMS etc work fine?
    What network do you use it on?

richieg wrote:
    Does MMS etc work fine?
    What network do you use it on?

Network is Vodafone ready to Go
    (have tesed gprs on Meteor prepaid sim also)

Have just configured MMS, didn't work by default and never bothered before.

create network profile with:-

Data Bearer: GPRS
    Access Point Name: mms.vodafone.net
    User Name: vodafone
    Password: vodafone
    Authentication: Normal
    Homepage: http://www.vodafone.ie/mms
    Advanced/Other Settings:
    Proxy Server Address: 10.24.59.200

but the key to making it work
    is to manually force it to use this profile rather than default auto select.

messaging ap > options > preferences > network tab > manual > edit > select profile

Can you tell me if you can voice dial via a bluetooth headset or car kit. Which ones are you using?

• Advertisement
Advertisement