Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what you need for secondary school teaching

Options
  • 26-01-2006 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

I've a degree in IT, first class honours, and I've also got a TEFL certificate. I'm heading off to Korea for a year to teach. If I enjoy that I'm thinking of doing secondary school teaching when I come back. I havent done much research on what I need to do. Can someone give me any information on the steps I need to take. Any information would be great. thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

ivan087 wrote:
    I've a degree in IT, first class honours, and I've also got a TEFL certificate. I'm heading off to Korea for a year to teach. If I enjoy that I'm thinking of doing secondary school teaching when I come back. I havent done much research on what I need to do. Can someone give me any information on the steps I need to take. Any information would be great. thanks!

Basically you can sub teach as you are, but to be appointed as a full time teacher you'll need a Higher Diploma in Education. Its a one year course, and theres 5 or 6 places where you can do it in Ireland. Its tough to get into but with a 1.1 degree and a few months of subbing experience, you have a good chance. It works on a points basis, i.e. a certain number of points for your degree percentage, and extra per 150 hours (I think its 150) of class teaching. Then if you hit the cut off number, you are normally in.

Everything else you need to know is here...
    http://www.careerdirections.ie/CD/DBAllCareerFrame.jsp?id=618

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ivan087

thanks for the information. just one more thing - would the tefl teaching count towards anything, i.e. points and classroom hours. or are the classroom hours calculated on actual secondary school teaching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

ivan087 wrote:
    thanks for the information. just one more thing - would the tefl teaching count towards anything, i.e. points and classroom hours. or are the classroom hours calculated on actual secondary school teaching?

I didnt submit my TEFL hours because it says it needs to be signed off by a principal. From that I took it that its school experience they're after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Trotter wrote:
    to be appointed as a full time teacher you'll need a Higher Diploma in Education. Its a one year course, and theres 5 or 6 places where you can do it in Ireland. Its tough to get into but with a 1.1 degree and a few months of subbing experience, you have a good chance. It works on a points basis, i.e. a certain number of points for your degree percentage, and extra per 150 hours (I think its 150) of class teaching. Then if you hit the cut off number, you are normally in.
    ... but...
    They department of education have a list of degrees which are automatically recognized for teaching. If your degree is not on the list, you can apply to have your qualifications recognized on an individual basis.
    They don't make it easy, mine was turned down even though the same degree from other universities is recognized.

Advertisement