Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The GPO

• 26-01-2006 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I long for the old days :( . Seriously, I can't even bring myself to put my foot in the door anymore. Anyone on here remember the way it used to be? The Last thing Galway needed was another 'CPs', but hey, we got one.

When I think of the quality nights and quality dj's this club gave me years ago, it pains me to see the state this place is in. The GPO (in my opinion) has effectively ruined the dance music scene in Galway. Sure, we've got the Vic (don't even mention Oasis in Salthill), but it's just a glorified pub.

Sorry, rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I was actually at the opening night (many many years ago!) and it was very promising. Haven't been back in the last 7/8 years though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I was a bit young for the old GPO, what was so great about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Joey Shabadoo

Anima wrote:
    I was a bit young for the old GPO, what was so great about it?

Oh man, where to start...! Just the atmosphere, the resident dj's at the time, the Buckfast they sold at the bar, the bouncers were actually sound guys. Everything really.

But it's a different story now. I went along to Slam and Mylo in December and it was horrible. They pack the place out too much and it's full of your typical 1st year commerce students (you know what I mean!) Ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Was @ the GPO a few years ago and thoroughely enjoyed myself,no idea what it's like thesedays probably like most clubs thesedays pretty sh*t :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

was talking with a mate about this at the weekend

in the good old days the place would be jammers every friday and saturday, even if it was only good old Tedster playing:(
    we had some absolutely blinding nights in there from around 98-01

went there a few times with my flatmate over the past couple of months and felt like topping myself when i came home... it's a ****ing horrible clubbing experience these days!

Slam just before crimbo was almost like a return to the days of old

thank god for 110th street and the vic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Whats the Vic like? Never been there.

A load of people tell me its full of gays. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

it can be a fairly mixed crowd at times... has never bothered me though.

some bi guy asking a female friend of mine if i was single, then asking her if she was single is one of countless priceless memories i have from that place
    she was none too impressed at being his second choice:p

i'd heartily recommend the place.
    it's not like you'll catch the gay or anything if you just go once;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Joey Shabadoo

Anima wrote:
    Whats the Vic like? Never been there.

A load of people tell me its full of gays. :)

Every second Thursday there used to be gay night called Eden but it's moved to Oasis in Salthill. So don't worry, you're safe! ;)

But seriously, give the Vic a go on a Saturday night. The best night out in Galway at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭froggie_1

i prefered 110th st when it was in the GPO...
    Im sure the lads themselves did aswell..
    They say theyre getting on great in the Vic but lets be honest -
    its a terrible venue... its kind of weird with those pics on the walls and the mirrors and stuff - dont get me wrong - its still the best night to be had in galway. I love the tunes and I think Cian is class.
    i wonder will the every saturday night thing work - it will i suppose if they get the guest djs... any sign of erol alkan any time soon!? or even Tiga????
    i read somewhere that he's gonna be the new mylo - big crossover to mainstream!
    I used to absolutely love the GPO too - had so many excellent nights in there when i moved here 1st.
    I have to say - De Burgos on a sat nite for Gigantic is a top notch night out.
    I love that place - small, dark, nice, nice people. quality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dohboy

the halcyon days of the GPO, eh? as far as i remember buring my college days it was always a dump. had some good nights in there alright, but would attribute that to being out with mates and nothing to do with the atmosphere in the place.

The booking policy was awfully safe; same merry-go-round of boring supperstar djs, backed up by the crappy cabal of the commander, bassballs, and the disconauts. they were always wary of techno, dnb, breakcore, anything slightly interesting.

galway has never had any decent clubs; apart from the odd night upstairs in cuba, deBurgos and occasionally out in the black box.

the sound in the VIC is rubbish, but they're was some alright stuff on there.

the rowing club......now, there's a venue!

• Advertisement
Advertisement