Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

demo models

Options
  • 26-01-2006 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Any opinions on demo models. Herself's da has been offered a ford focus 1.4 for €16k. There's 8,000 miles on the clock. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is it a 05 or 06 model? €16k sounds very cheap for a 06 Focus. Usually demo models are sold with lower mileage than 8,000 miles so that they can get more for them.

If it is 05 it could possibly be an ex rental car rather than a demo.

To answer your question though I have bought demos before and had no issues with them, they also have the majority of the manufactures warranty left on it.

If it is an ex rental then make sure that things like the body work is fine, the clutch and brakes are ok, etc. Rentals can be subject to alot of tips/scraps and abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A former housemate bought a demo model Octavia a couple of years ago. Low miles, a very good price and the car was in immaculate condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    If it is 05 it could possibly be an ex rental car rather than a demo

Indeed and that would make a lot of difference. With 8k miles on it already, I doubt very much it is a '06 demo. I wouldn't recommend a '05 ex-rental, unless the price was very right. It isn't. The price is very wrong

A brand new low end 1.4 Focus lists for €19.4k, so say €18k cash. If your man is being offered a '05 one for €16k, he should just laugh at the $tealer, unless the model is fully loaded with all the extras he really likes and is willing to pay for (like satnav, tv, swimming pool, etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

unkel wrote:
    (like satnav, tv, swimming pool, etc.)

LOL:D

I'd never buy an ex rental. I've drive rentals, usually tear the ****e out of them, double clutching, hard accelerating and just generally abuse them. Usually just do it because the rental company my job uses are terrible. I get cars with no tax and very little fuel all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's tonnes of ex hire Focus's still hanging around since last year, they're usually ****e spec LX models 16k sounds alright though, probably what they were bought in for

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I wouldn't want anyone here to buy a ex demo. car that's been soundly thrashed.

Same goes for rental fleet sheds.

False economy.

You could be right, but then any used car could be trashed

Most demos are sold on by the garage after only two or three months with very little mileage on them. Also if taking one of these for a test drive usually the sales person goes with you for insurance reasons so they may not be as trashed as an ex-rental would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Hired cars and company cars more likely to be abused imo

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    Most demos are sold on by the garage after only two or three months with very little mileage on them. Also if taking one of these for a test drive usually the sales person goes with you for insurance reasons so they may not be as trashed as an ex-rental would be.

Good point. Except in some cases where people are allowed to "take" the car unaccompanied for a test drive or for the day or even the weekend

Which company did one of those weekend test drives recently, was it Opel?

• Advertisement

just thinking back, they were doing pre-reg zero mileage focus's for around 16k last year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Was looking at a demo mondeo today. They were offering a car with a cash price of about 29k for 26k. 06 reg, projected 5k kms, delivery in 8 weeks.

maidhc wrote:
    Was looking at a demo mondeo today. They were offering a car with a cash price of about 29k for 26k. 06 reg, projected 5k kms, delivery in 8 weeks.

The all new Mondeo is not too far away so they may be eager to move the old model quickly

bazz26 wrote:
    The all new Mondeo is not too far away so they may be eager to move the old model quickly

Any idea when the new model might be coming on stream? The present one is still a lovely car (especially the platinum spec with TDCi 115 engine I was looking at). The resale value is still chronic though, only thing that put me off really.

I know toyota in comparison give very little of the demo models, even saw an ex-hire 05 corolla 1.4 D4D only 1500 less than the new price...

maidhc wrote:
    Any idea when the new model might be coming on stream? The present one is still a lovely car (especially the platinum spec with TDCi 115 engine I was looking at). The resale value is still chronic though, only thing that put me off really.

I know toyota in comparison give very little of the demo models, even saw an ex-hire 05 corolla 1.4 D4D only 1500 less than the new price...

Don't know exactly when it is out but expect it before the end of the year.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

According to this it will be 2007

re the ex hire corollas

Toyota don't do the volume of fleet or pre-regs that Ford do, there's no shortage of fleet Focus's, Diesel Corollas are hard to find, therefore make big money

colm_mcm wrote:
    re the ex hire corollas

Toyota don't do the volume of fleet or pre-regs that Ford do, there's no shortage of fleet Focus's, Diesel Corollas are hard to find, therefore make big money

My local dealer said there was a 12 - 15 week delivery back log for new Corolla and Avensis D4-D models. These are standard trim models no fancy factory fitted extras. This increases demand for low mileage nearly new examples especially from taxi drivers.

bazz26 wrote:
    My local dealer said there was a 12 - 15 week delivery back log for new Corolla and Avensis D4-D models. These are standard trim models no fancy factory fitted extras. This increases demand for low mileage nearly new examples especially from taxi drivers.

Interesting, Kearys in Cork could get me a 1.4 Corolla d4d immediately if I wanted one although they said there was a fair wait if I was choosey about colours.

Very anxious to sell the Corollas too, but they are a bit expensive for a very handy sized car with third world levels of equipment (2 electric windows is about it...). The engine is nice alright though: I wonder if they will fit it to the avensis, I know it would be a bit underpowered (although the old 2.0TD was also 90bhp), but knowing the Irish mentality about cars it would sell well.

there's a difference between a dealer promising you a car, and actually getting it. take it from me, Corolla D-4D's are very tricky to get within 2 months,

The 1.4 won't be fitted to the Avensis, even the 116bhp 2.0 unit is considered underpowered in todays market. a 1.6 or 1.8 D-4D (115-125 bhp) would be ideal for our market, but no sign of it happening for a good while)

As for the Corolla being third world spec, a Corolla D-4D Luna model has Aircon, 4 electric windows, elec mirrors, remote locking, alloys, fogs, front and side airbags, and more for €26,000, compare that with a Jetta TDI, or other small diesel saloons and it's really good value

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    Very anxious to sell the Corollas too, but they are a bit expensive for a very handy sized car with third world levels of equipment (2 electric windows is about it...).

Toyota Corolla 1.4 D4-D 90bhp Terra 5dr - €22,525 ex works
    VW Golf 1.9 Tdi 90bhp Base 5dr - €25,280 ex works
    Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 90bhp LX 5dr - €23,240 ex works
    Opel Astra 1.3 CDTi 90bhp Life 5dr - €22,650 ex works
    Peug 307 1.6 HDi 90bhp SR 5dr - €23,795 ex works
    Renault Megane 1.5 dCi 86bhp Authentique 5dr - €22,550 ex works
    Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi 105bhp Classic 5dr - €23,145 ex works
    Citroen C4 1.6 HDi 90bhp Base 5dr - €23,600 ex works

These are the entry level diesel models in basic spec. They all have similar basic toys such as front electric windows, remote central locking, multi-air bags and cd player.

bazz26 wrote:
    Toyota Corolla 1.4 D4-D 90bhp Terra 5dr - €22,525 ex works
    VW Golf 1.9 Tdi 90bhp Base 5dr - €25,280 ex works
    Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 90bhp LX 5dr - €23,240 ex works
    Opel Astra 1.3 CDTi 90bhp Life 5dr - €22,650 ex works
    Peug 307 1.6 HDi 90bhp SR 5dr - €23,795 ex works
    Renault Megane 1.5 dCi 86bhp Authentique 5dr - €22,550 ex works
    Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi 105bhp Classic 5dr - €23,145 ex works
    Citroen C4 1.6 HDi 90bhp Base 5dr - €23,600 ex works

I know, but when it comes it hard cash the corolla weighs in as 22k and the Octavia elegance at 24.3k (bigger engine, bigger car, climate control, fogs, alloys etc, etc)... The Corolla isnt available in anything other than terra for the 5dr.

I just think it is bad value in comparison to the Octavia (on one hand), and more importantly the Avensis which isnt much extra at all for a far bigger and nicer car.

On topic: What are the chances of getting a demo in perfect condition: e.g. no dents scratches, repaired crashes etc... I'm saying this in relation to the mondeo mentioned below

maidhc wrote:
    I know, but when it comes it hard cash the corolla weighs in as 22k and the Octavia elegance at 24.3k (bigger engine, bigger car, climate control, fogs, alloys etc, etc)... The Corolla isnt available in anything other than terra for the 5dr.

The Octavia 1.9 TDi Elegance is €25,795 ex works. But we already know that the Octavia is good value for money but it also under cuts the Golf on which it is based on.
    maidhc wrote:
    I just think it is bad value in comparison to the Octavia (on one hand), and more importantly the Avensis which isnt much extra at all for a far bigger and nicer car.

The Avensis 2.0 D4-D Aura is €29,250 ex works so there is quite a difference.
    maidhc wrote:
    On topic: What are the chances of getting a demo in perfect condition: e.g. no dents scratches, repaired crashes etc... I'm saying this in relation to the mondeo mentioned below

It depends totally on the car in question and like any second hand car there is a certain level of risk. This is why they are priced accordingly.

bazz26 wrote:
    The Octavia 1.9 TDi Elegance is €25,795 ex works.

Perhaps, but I am referring the price quoted to me that I would have to hand over to have in my posession a car.

Reason I say about dents etc is that the demo model is "prebought" with a €500 deposit. The car is perfect now, but would it have to be perfect in 8 weeks time (I am assured it will be, but...)

Out of interest, opinions please: Octavia 1.9 TDi Elegance (new - 24.3k) or demo Mondeo TDCi 115 Platinum (demo - 26k). Specs are same, bar the mondeo having beepy reversing things and cruise control, and both mean little to me.

maidhc wrote:
    Perhaps, but I am referring the price quoted to me that I would have to hand over to have in my posession a car.

Reason I say about dents etc is that the demo model is "prebought" with a €500 deposit. The car is perfect now, but would it have to be perfect in 8 weeks time (I am assured it will be, but...)

Out of interest, opinions please: Octavia 1.9 TDi Elegance (new - 24.3k) or demo Mondeo TDCi 115 Platinum (demo - 26k). Specs are same, bar the mondeo having beepy reversing things and cruise control, and both mean little to me.

Well if you are getting that much discount on the Octavia I would take it. The TDi will probably hold it's value better than the Mondeo. The depreciation on the Mondeo is very harsh.

I'm not sure sure about putting a €500 deposit on a car now and them using it for another 8 weeks, alot can happen to a car in 8 weeks. Would they give you your €500 back if you change your mind in 8 weeks time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Are these ex demo models at all? Or are they ex-rentals being palmed off on the public under false pretences?

Foe example a "demo model" 6 months old with 8,000 miles on the clock. Thats approximately 62 miles per working day for that period. Is it just me or is that an awful lot of demos? It would be twelve 5 mile demo drives every single working day for six months. I find that very hard to believe.

maidhc wrote:

how does it always come back to Octavias?!

The Mondeo is a really good drive, but it is getting on a bit. The Octavia is a better all rounder though.

Advertisement