Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazzy hands

Options
  • 26-01-2006 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

was just over in the orts block there did ye see the lads playin the jazz, kinda cool!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

'Twas cool indeed. It's just a pity these things are not publicised more. I only knew it was on because I joined JazzSoc on refreshers' day. I say more of this inspirational stuff and less of the anodyne mainstream pop/rock that dominates the airways and venues!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

yep just back from the gig myself and passing through the eng building. was a great performance indeed. are you on jazzsoc's mailing list? if not just drop me a line and i'll send it to john the auditor.

Red Alert wrote:
    are you on jazzsoc's mailing list? if not just drop me a line and i'll send it to john the auditor.

When I wrote my email address I tried to make it more legible than my usual indecipherable, yet highly-ornate script! I've already sent him an email, but thanks for offering. I hope to get involved and enhance my improvisational skills. Do they have many jam sessions? Are there any other musicians here on the UCD boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭selephonic

Samos wrote:
    Are there any other musicians here on the UCD boards?

I'm a musician, joined the JazzSoc because there were no other music societies that didn't involve a classical qualification! I saw that there were moves to re-establish a rock music society last year, but it failed due to lack of interest from people to run it. Real pity.

selephonic wrote:
    I'm a musician, joined the JazzSoc because there were no other music societies that didn't involve a classical qualification!

I don't have any particular 'classical qualifications' but I joined the UCD Sinfonia last year and managed to give a passable performance without anyone suspecting my lack of experience! However that may have changed this afternoon, because I auditioned for the new scholarships offered to the Sinfonia by BoI, and completely meesed up everything and admitted that I had been playing for less than 18 months! I guess I put myself under too much psychological pressure... I know I play a hundred times better when I think nobody is listening.

BTW what do you play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭selephonic

Samos wrote:

BTW what do you play?

Various things, at the moment mostly singing, but it's usually all that rock n' roll thing, I couldn't do anything the Sinfonia would term proper music. Mostly I stand on a stage and shout, then go home and record songs for sissies and bedwetters.

I think I'm quite good at the shouting bit though.

Band is in my sig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Samos wrote:
    Do they have many jam sessions? Are there any other musicians here on the UCD boards?

They had two seperate Jam nights last semester; one for lighter music and one for the heavier stuff. I thought the lighter music evening was actual Jazz (still not sure if it is or not) and, being a drummer, this kinda intimidated me so I didn't head along to it.
    I went to the heavier evening and I don't think anyone would disagree with me if I said it was a disaster. Three drummers showed up, out of the total of ten or so people. Obviously there was only one kit, too. Then the room was really small and was killing our ears because of the noise levels. Met some cool people there that night, but, musicially, it was awful.

As mentioned above, I'm a drummer. I'm in a band with rasher as well who plays guitar (he pops in here occasionally)

Advertisement