Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kieran Richardson.....is he worth his place?

• 26-01-2006 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

I'm still not convinced...he was ok last night but ok doesnt usually make the cut in my books, I know hes young but if its seen that he is good enough for the first team am i wrong for expecting a high quality performance?? what do ye think??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

I think he has great potential and will be very popular iththe fans and manager in years to come. He is stil young but i think he did played good last night and needs big matches like the semi-final last night

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Personally didn't think he was any good at all last night. Is quick but like several of United's players at the moment(O Shea, Flethcer) he is very slight and gives the ball away a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

He needs a run of games in his favour left wing position to truly show what he can do.. He has played out of position so many times so far..

Overall I think he'll be a great player, lightening fast down the left.. Has flaws but can only get better with experience..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Nope,he is nowhere need the grade.
    Isnt up to much at all.
    Eagles is a far better player but he doens seem to be in Alex Fergusons plans.
    Richardson is a grafter at best.
    United have enough grafters ,they need quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Gotta agree with MisterAnarchy, Richardson is a squad player at best. I am never filled with confidence when I see him lining out. He doesn't keep the ball well enough, the same problem that Fletcher has.

I don't see him as having a long term future at United. He put in some great performances towards the end of last season at West Brom on loan and I think his performances there pushed him into Ferguson's plans.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He's ****e. Squad player at best, but I doubt he'll be ever happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

typical confidence player, when he was being hailed as a hero at west brom he was playing a stormer week in week out.

as an aside Keane thinks he is a knob by all accounts

Was it Richardson who was playing the gameboy in the dressing room or was that Fletcher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I don't think he is first team material. He gives the ball away too cheaply for my liking. He would be ok as a squad player.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

He's not good enough. Gives the ball away far too easily, and is somewhat a dumb player in my book, in the rash challenges and silly free kicks he gives away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

shepthedog wrote:
    He needs a run of games in his favour left wing position to truly show what he can do.. He has played out of position so many times so far..

his favoured position is the centre of midfield. at the beginning of the season i thought it was great to have an extra player in squad. having now seen him play a good few games for united i dont believe he is good enough. hopefully he can pove me wrong but i think injuries and a poor standard midfield have allowed him to get so many games this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

His favoured position is centre midfield but his best position is on the left. I havent been impressed with him this year but i still think that he needs a run in the team. O Shea was terrible last year and the beginning of this year but before he got injured he was playin some great stuff and i put that down to the confidence he got from playing week in week out. In the next few weeks i'd say Richardson will get his game a lot more, We';; see what he's worth then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

He's not good enough to be a first team player but I do think he has some qualities that make a good squad player. We need to replace giggs with someone of similar quality and I reckon Richardson is a good back up for whoever we can get.... United's midfield is a sham at the moment, not one of the 7/8 midfielders we have deserves their place. That includes Scholes, he has the odd good game but never looks the player he once was, need to make some serious moves in the market this summer... I'm afraid we wont be getting in 4/5 midifelders which means we'll be stuck with some of the players we have! Lets face it, likes of Fletcher, O'Shea, Richardson, Park would struggle to get into alot of the other teams in the premiership, they are decent squad players but we've no real quality outstanding players.

johnor wrote:
    He's not good enough to be a first team player but I do think he has some qualities that make a good squad player. We need to replace giggs with someone of similar quality and I reckon Richardson is a good back up for whoever we can get.... United's midfield is a sham at the moment, not one of the 7/8 midfielders we have deserves their place. That includes Scholes, he has the odd good game but never looks the player he once was, need to make some serious moves in the market this summer... I'm afraid we wont be getting in 4/5 midifelders which means we'll be stuck with some of the players we have! Lets face it, likes of Fletcher, O'Shea, Richardson, Park would struggle to get into alot of the other teams in the premiership, they are decent squad players but we've no real quality outstanding players.

i personally would think Park ji sung is worth his place even more so than Cristiano Ronaldo

i personally would think Park ji sung is worth his place even more so than Cristiano Ronaldo

i have seen park come off the bench and have a very good effect on the team. he works hard and is very clever on the ball. imo he is just as big a loss as the other injured players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Okay, maybe Park has some promise and deserves time to adapt to the english game, i agree he does show signs when he comes on and he works quite hard but I still think the midfields of the past would have had stronger players than the likes of Park. I agree that Christiano isn't great, he goes on runs across the pitch then gives the ball away, often his crosses aren't good enough. I think this enforces my point that united's midifeld is in need of some serious strengthening and to get back to the original topic, if we had the players that we should have the likes of Richardson would not be near the first team...

johnor wrote:
    if we had the players that we should have the likes of Richardson would not be near the first team...

the nail on the head my good man.

Beckham-Keane-Scholes-Giggs

at the height of their powers these four were the best midfield 4 in europe. You're right park ji sung wouldnt get a game in this midfield. Ronaldo, Fletcher, o Shea and Richardson are like sunday league players compared to these players. Whatever anyone thinks of Beckham he always played well for United and nearly always got into double figures with his goals tally, it was a huge mistake selling him to Real it was at this point were Fergie started to compromise the midfield positions. I suppose Fergies main problem was that there was no good young players coming through and the situation was then compounded further by seriously bad judgement in the transfer market. its these reasons that has lowered the team to what it is now. They might have a greater points tally than they did in the time of Beckham & Co but the league is different now, Chelsea have changed the whole way of playing in the league and the poorer teams try to adopt Chelsea's attitude of defend first, attack second but end up getting narrowly beaten. How many times have Chelsea got a late goal and won 1-0?? Mourinho has even rubbed off on United with fergie trying the 4-3-3 formation every now and then. We might be able to compete with them if they gave us Makelele,Lampard, Terry and Duff. These players are the type of standard we need. So mr Glazer you better flip open that cheque book fairly lively!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

im not a fan tbh, ok for a fill in but united need to invest in some quality midfielders, scholes out for some time and getting old, giggs hitting the end.

Ronaldo and smith i like. Ferdinand for midfield? i think so hes obviosly a good defender and has a football brain.

Richardson, fletcher, o 'shea, not good enough for a team challenging the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Richardson has been doing pretty good lately, and was fairly effective yesterday, ya know, scoring twice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

think that too. Park adds excellent depth to the side, so does Ronaldo when hes on form but he gives the ball away so much and doesnt defend as much as he should be, but Park does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

He has been really growing on me lately , I thought he was good yesterday and hopefully with a run in the team he can improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

richardson is a great player in form at the moment he needs a run on the left wing to show his potentional definitly worth his place imo.

I think the advantages of Ronaldo over Richardson are that when Richardson is on form, he is very good but when Rionaldo is on form, he is unbelievable. Ronaldo's highs are just that much more higher than Richardson's. Both players lose the ball far too much but Ronaldo can create that bit of magic that Richardson cannot imo.

Personally, I think Fletcher is the weakest point, I'd place both players mentioned above as well as Park ahead of him in the pecking order albeit not necessarily suitable for central midfield.

There's no harm giving richardson a run in the team to let him prove his worth. i think hes a decent talent but is he going to be manu standard?, we'll wait and see
    It''ll be interesting with vidic in now to see if he pushes Rio into the middle. I was quite impressed with him on sunday. Rio doesnt panic with the ball at his feet and on sunday he was able to fill in the holes at the back. He also provided an option for vidic or brown to pass out from defence. O shea fails to provide the option & fletcher provides the option but is just too dodgy to pass to in that area of the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Beckham-Keane-Scholes-Giggs

at the height of their powers these four were the best midfield 4 in europe. You're right park ji sung wouldnt get a game in this midfield. Ronaldo, Fletcher, o Shea and Richardson are like sunday league players compared to these players. Whatever anyone thinks of Beckham he always played well for United and nearly always got into double figures with his goals tally, it was a huge mistake selling him to Real it was at this point were Fergie started to compromise the midfield positions. I suppose Fergies main problem was that there was no good young players coming through and the situation was then compounded further by seriously bad judgement in the transfer market. its these reasons that has lowered the team to what it is now. They might have a greater points tally than they did in the time of Beckham & Co but the league is different now, Chelsea have changed the whole way of playing in the league and the poorer teams try to adopt Chelsea's attitude of defend first, attack second but end up getting narrowly beaten. How many times have Chelsea got a late goal and won 1-0?? Mourinho has even rubbed off on United with fergie trying the 4-3-3 formation every now and then. We might be able to compete with them if they gave us Makelele,Lampard, Terry and Duff. These players are the type of standard we need. So mr Glazer you better flip open that cheque book fairly lively!

So very very true...what i wouldn't give to see United restored to the glory days of the 90's!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Steve_o wrote:
    So very very true...what i wouldn't give to see United restored to the glory days of the 90's!!!

Fingers crossed that Ferguson can get a quality midfield together in the summer. If he buys in more muppets then he should be given his marching orders if you ask me. Evra and Vidic look ok so far, definitely haven't made the same impression that Heinze did last season. 2nd to Chelsea with the squad we have now is an amazing achievement. With a decent midfield united will be lethal. There should be no room for Richardson even on the bench if we are be a serious challange for the title and the CL.

Advertisement