Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Adaptor Dropping Connection...

• 26-01-2006 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

I've a wireless network set up in my house with 3 PC's on it.

Occasionally (and seemingly randomly), my PC drops the connection. The other PC's, however, have no problems at all. I'm relatively new to wireless networking, although I have learned a fair bit about it recently and my knowledge of basic networking is pretty good.

I thought it may have been the beacon, but then I suppose that would mean there's a problem with the router and as I mentioned above, there's no problem with the other PC's. The other thing is that we've moved house recently and this problem has been evident in BOTH premises, even when the router's been physically right beside my adaptor, so I doubt it's a signal strength issue.

Other info is that we've all got assigned IPs and I'm also using DHCP. There's 64-bit WEP encryption on it too, and it's a modem router (Linksys Gateway dealy). My adaptor is a relatively non-descript "802.11g Wireless LAN PCI" card manufactured by "Ralink Technology". I bought it off Komplett about 8 months back.

Anyone any suggestions? I could have left out important info, so let me know that too! :)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Are all the pc's on wireless cards and if so are they the same brand card?

Cal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

As above.

Try the card that is having the issue in another computer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

One PC is a wireless card, one is a USB dongle. And in the past, I had a laptop with a PCMCIA wireless card.

Haven't tried my own wireless card in another machine yet, because it's not causing *that* much trouble, you know? It's just a bit frustrating and I'm eager to learn :) Also, I was thinking it might be a common problem to do with settings...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Well you could try looking for other wireless interference (home mobile phones etc.) or get the latest firmware & drivers, but quite often this comes down to poor compatibility between different manufacturers. I've found the most stable networks are made up of single brand hardware. And the most unstable being cheap unmatched equiptment or just duff kit.

Cal.

It really is difficult to say what the issue is.. The first step really is to move the card to the other PC. If you have issues - it would help indicate whether the problem is with the card (Incompatible, b0rked..) or the machine (OS issue, software issue, config issue, power issue...).
    Even if it's only proving to be small inconvenience, it might be worth your time and money doing it before the warranty on the card runs out (If it's only a 1 year job). Until then, check for an updated driver for the card, and perhaps firmware for the router..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Alirght, cheers for the advice guys. Will try out ye're suggestions and if there's any light shed on it, I'll post it here.

Oh, and thanks for the speedy response too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

You could try using the latest ralink drivers. I have a Belkin F5D7000 which kept dropping connections on me. Turns out it was because of the dodgy drivers that Belkin released. Eventually I stumbled on these ralink drivers released by the chipset makers themselves. They stopping the card dropping connection and added features like WPA2 to them. I got them here at the ralinktech website. But its down at the moment so I can't give you a direct link to the drivers themselves.

Advertisement