Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohs and Shels groundsharing

• 26-01-2006 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

The FAI have this afternoon confirmed that Bohemians and Shelbourne are in discussions regarding a possible ground-sharing agreement.
    No further details are available regarding the specifics of which ground would be shared whether it would be Dalymount Park or a new green field site.

The statement confirms that these discussions are a follow-on from the Genesis report and that "both clubs have entered into these discussions without prejudice to other strategic and developmental initiatives which are under consideration. The talks are taking place in the full recognition of the best interests of the stakeholders of both clubs and for the benefit of the long-term future of the clubs."

http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=4063

The groundsharing idea moves into the 1st phase and by the looks of it the only phase with Pats outlining there plans that dont involve moving to Tallaght but rather doing up Richmond (work has started , we will have the only 2 storey disabled toilets ever )

Bohs and Shels have admitted to having prelim talks, what happens from this is anyones guess but from the looks of it it will suit both clubs.

Shame Bohs could be in Divison 1 or the LSL but thats another thread :) Other thread shocklingly descended into retardism so new one for the ones that may be groundsharing.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Take it that it would be a redeveloped Dalymount, which personally i wouldn't be too keen on. But we'd wanna pocket a shed load from the sale of Tolka and actually have some serious moola :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

No further details are available regarding the specifics of which ground would be shared whether it would be Dalymount Park or a new green field site.
    It'd be hard to imagine Bohs playing anywhere other than Daylier. We've been there for 105 years now. I wouldn't like it either but I guess that could be the price of progress. Liverpool and Arsenal have been at their current homes since the 1890's but thats all about to change irregardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Well I'm completely against groundsharing.

Yeah there's pros and cons but from a personal perspective I do not want Shelbourne to ever share a home with Bohs and especially sharing with them at Dalymount Park which will always be the home of Bohs. I don't feel groundsharing is a step forward. I believe should it ever happen both clubs will lose their identity which I'm sure will lead to an eventual merger between the clubs (the same goes for Rovers and Pats) which isn't good for Dublin football.

I believe the reason Shels are in talks over this is because Tolka has already been sold and the board know they'll never be able to afford to build this proposed new stadium out in Ballywhereverthehellitis which would have been a white elephant anyway. Maybe if it's for the survival of Shels this proposed groundshare may be the only option but if it's gonna happen it better be as a last resort from my viewpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Ground sharing is an excellent idea just not in Dalymount Park. I don't see why it can't work elsewhere though, you would build a far superior stadium to the shyte we all play in now, each team would have their own 'end' of the more vocal supporters to call their home ala the Milan sides, it works for them, it makes sense to me.

Groundsharing in a very good circa10,000 maybe more seater stadium that is comfortable to watch games in in a good area to get fans to goto games beats playing in a 6,500 sub standard stadium in the arse end of nowhere.

No to Dalymount, though.

According to reports in the papers today is virtually a done deal. Seemingly Dalymount will be completely redeveloped. Would that require a groundshare in Tolka whilst the development is done?

Histories aside, the most important aspects of this proposal are the financial implications for both clubs (seemingly good), and whether or not the pitch can be kept in good playing order. Obviously how the stadium will end up is important, but I'd assume if its being totally redeveloped then it will be of a suitably high standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There seems to be suggestions of a Rovers and Pat’s groundshare in Tallaght too. While it’s not ideal from a Rovers point of view, I’d rather have it than no ground. The thing that would worry me is how it would affect Pat’s. Rovers and already firmly established in the minds of locals as the ‘Tallaght team.’ Their entire football set-up is based there now and if the reports are accurate, Rovers will move in first with St Patrick’s following in a couple of years time. Which would leave Patrick’s moving into a ground far removed from their local support and one where the locals support their rivals.

I can't see the sense in them moving from their own ground, where the locals support them to a shared ground where they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Shels would stand to make a decent sum from the sale of Tolka if they werre to go and move into a redevoped Dalymount. Be interesting to see how it pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Shels would stand to make a decent sum from the sale of Tolka if they werre to go and move into a redevoped Dalymount. Be interesting to see how it pans out.

Shels don't actually own Tolka, they have a lease on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Not true. I was lead to believe 60% of the ground was owned by shelbourne up until 1996, with the remaining 40% then being bought by shels when the Donnelly family first made feelings known of pulling out of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Shels don't actually own Tolka, they have a lease on it.

thats what i thought too, it was like a 99 year lease or something along those line..

• Advertisement

Eins would know more on it than I would, I'll wait for him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

shels have a long term lease but the owners would be prepared to buy them out as the site is highly valuable for development.

a renovated dalymount with shels as tenants should be good for us(bohs) ,extra income from shels should stop the financial gap between the two of us.

a renovated dalymount with shels as tenants should be good for us(bohs) ,extra income from shels should stop the financial gap between the two of us.

That doesn't make much sense, surely if the long-term lease is bought out then Shels would become even wealthier.

Also, I don't think Shels will be tenants. I've read in a few places that Bohs and Shels will own 48% each and 4% will be the FAI's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

if you have a longterm lease on anywhere any sale of the place must compensate the tenant for that timelength or an amicable agreement. Pats have till 2049 before they can get the free hold on Richmond, Shels also have some lenght and any sale would get them a lot of money.

Also i think any groundsharing deals both clubs ownership of the ground, how that works with that nbew bar in Dalymount i dont know but the ground is to be 50/50.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

shels have a long term lease but the owners would be prepared to buy them out as the site is highly valuable for development.

That's the long and the short of it, Shels don't own it technically but still stand to make alot of money from the sale.

I think ground sharing in principle is a good idea, but not in Dalymount. For a few reasons, first of all, it'll never be our home. Secondly, how much potential is there there? One end has almost been completley sold and there's only room for a pretty poor 400 seater stand there, the other end can't even be fully roofed because of the nearby school and the like so it could hardly be knocked down and rebuilt to be anything much bigger or better than it is now. So that only leaves the CS stand, now that could be completley knocked down and redeveloped but do Bohs own all of that as it is? Didn't they sell part of it hence part of it being knocked down, I could be wrong on that one mind. But eitherway, there's still not too much potential there, both ends will always have sh-t stands, so is it worth moving for that?

Moving to a new location, it suits Shels but with their tradition there Bohs will find it much harder to leave Dalymount, so it is difficult to see a ground share working. Shels fans I think would be happy groundsharing in a new site, but would be very, very strongly opposed to Dalymount Park on anything more than a temporary basis and I know I'd be the same. Bohs fans will be equally unhappy if they leave Dalymount Park, even if it is for a better and more modern stadium somewhere else, understandabley so really, I could see them strongly opposing that move, so eitherway one set of fans is going to be very unhappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I am completely opposed to a groundshare in Dalymount, with Bohs.

On the grounds that Dalymount has been Bohs' ground for 105 years, we would never be at home there, no matter if we owned 48%, 78% or 100% of Dalymount, it will always be the "spiritual home" of Bohemian Football Club. Even if it is redeveloped with a big stand that says THE SHEBOURNE END in big red letters on it, it still would not be ours.

A ground share at another location would work, but I imagine Bohs fans would be very much opposed to moving out of their "spiritual home".

I notice a lot of posters on Gypsy Web are having paranoid delusions that this is some cloak and dagger plan between Ollie and the FAI to hunt Bohs out of existence. :eek:

ollie byrne the criminal -cant wait to antagonise him when shels play as tenants in dalyer

ollie byrne the criminal -cant wait to antagonise him when shels play as tenants in dalyer

Shels WON'T be playing in Dalymount as tenants. IF the deal goes ahead it will be co-ownership, according to all press reports thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Sharing with Bohs seems like a good idea to me.

The two stadia are only 1 mile apart anyway.

Imagine, proper toilets at an Eircom League club.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Very helpful comment, what are you trying to do here? Cause an argument?

If you want to make ill informed comments, perhaps you might be more suited to Gypsies Web?

My god the standard here has dropped in the past few months :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    Very helpful comment, what are you trying to do here? Cause an argument?

If you want to make ill informed comments, perhaps you might be more suited to Gypsies Web?

My god the standard here has dropped in the past few months :rolleyes:
    no,just expressing my distaste for the man

At least do it with relevant facts and not made up ideas that just happened to appear in your head.

Advertisement