Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alone

• 26-01-2006 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone ever feel so lonely and alone, im a 26 year old girl and lately i have just felt so alone. I have family and some friends that adore me. But i suppose most of my friends are all with someone where as im not. Im not the skinniest thing going but im not massive.
    Lately i have been feeling very alone, i was in a short relationship recently, nothing was ever going to come out of it but i loved the company and fun of him. But thats over, and now im back to just me...

I just feel im getting older, and this is more of a future picture for me..

Anyone else feel like this ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

pics please!! ;)

i find myself in a strangely similar situation to yourself (except a year older :o ). actually, i've only recently discovered that the predicament we are in isn't that uncommon at all. in fact, there are 1000's of people in ireland in the same boat as ourselves. it's easier said that done, but it if you are feeling lonely (for male companionship or otherwise), its really up to you to do something about it. i'd suggest joining a club, society etc. to meet new people and gain new experiences. this is not you future OP.

good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

i'm in the same boat.

just feel constantly alone, not in contact with anyone. SOmetimes see my old school mates but not much.

I can't bring myself to go out and meet people.

So just remember there are other people in the same boat. Sorry I can't help you more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

I think we all feel lonely from time to time. I often suggest that people think about why they'd like to be with someone, and why they aren't with someone already. I realise this seems stupid, ("because I'm lonely duh!"), but think about it for a minute.

You say that you had a short relationship recently, so obviously you're well able to attract the fellas. Is it just that you haven't found the right person? If that's it then, well, there's no easy answer, you just have to keep kissing frogs until you find your prince. If you feel there's some reason why guys won't be drawn to you, well, only you can do something about that.

But the real reason I'd encourage you to think about this is that many people aren't alone because they can't find someone, it's because they don't actualy want to be with someone, yet. In this situation things are usualyl fine, we're happy to plug away at our lives, but occasionally, maybe when things aren't going too wel, we'd like to have someone there, and we fee lonely because we don't.

Ok. This kind of seems like i'm going in circles. What i'm saying is, are you sure you want to be with someone? Or are you having a bad spell and really wishing there was someone there to help you through it?

Sorry if this seems kind of stupid, insensitive, or off-topic, but it doesn't sound like you're someone who has trouble attracting guys, so I just wonder if you're sure about what you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭jimbono1

Alone wrote:
    Does anyone ever feel so lonely and alone, im a 26 year old girl and lately i have just felt so alone. I have family and some friends that adore me. But i suppose most of my friends are all with someone where as im not. Im not the skinniest thing going but im not massive.
    Lately i have been feeling very alone, i was in a short relationship recently, nothing was ever going to come out of it but i loved the company and fun of him. But thats over, and now im back to just me...

I just feel im getting older, and this is more of a future picture for me..

Anyone else feel like this ???

Bit of a long shot but Jennie is that you?, I didn’t know you were so lonely, I'm still really confused as to why you decided to end it! I really enjoyed your company and was not looking for a relationship or anything, just a bit of fun, I get lonely as well :(. If you ever change your mind and want a bit of company you have my number, Id love to hear from you!... J

EDIT: Sorry to interupt the original poster by the way, and please don't delete this mods, It's a long shot it's the persom I'm thinking of but sounds very similar to her from what is written, what can I say? I'm the King of wishful thinking! :)

jimbono1 wrote:
    Bit of a long shot but Jennie is that you?, I didn’t know you were so lonely, I'm still really confused as to why you decided to end it! I really enjoyed your company and was not looking for a relationship or anything, just a bit of fun, I get lonely as well :(. If you ever change your mind and want a bit of company you have my number, Id love to hear from you!... J

EDIT: Sorry to interupt the original poster by the way, and please don't delete this mods, It's a long shot it's the persom I'm thinking of but sounds very similar to her from what is written, what can I say? I'm the King of wishful thinking! :)

Somebody give that man a medal for having stones! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I hope it's not just someone winding the poor girl up...

Hagar wrote:
    I hope it's not just someone winding the poor girl up...

I concur, seems fairly genuine tho, and she should know if it's the guy or not...I hope
    :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

let's get back to helping the OP folks
    B

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Alone wrote:
    I just feel im getting older, and this is more of a future picture for me.....

none of us can predict the future, it never, ever comes out like you thought it would – worrying about something that may never happen is a waste of your time and adding a weight on your mind that is unnecessary. Stop doing that immediately!
    You also cannot know if someone will or will not come along, nor should you imagine that the presence of a man in your life with make it happy – to rely on one other person to make your life complete is a mistake.
    You need to work on you right now, join some clubs, do a course on self esteem, get a hair cut, buy some new clothes, loose some weight if you feel it’s needed.
    Go out with your friends and have a ball.
    Do all that and you will be totally surprised at the amount of men you attract.
    All of the above is within your reach and is easily done if your will is strong. Take one step at a time so the long term goal is achievable.
    You are still very young and have your whole life ahead of you, what you do with that time before your death bed is 100% up to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Yep, thats me all over! Been real lonely these last couple years. Started getting really depressed too. Met up with a girl and totally enjoyed her company. She was lovely and friendly and so easy to get along with but she had no interest in me other than that. Don't see so much of her now so I'm back to being a bit down and lonely!

I'm hopefully going to be changing jobs shortly so hopefully meet some new people that way. Perhaps something similar might work for yourself?

• Advertisement

Somebody give that man a medal for having stones! :D

It's a bit of a longshot, but worth trying I suppose, I need to learn to let go!:o

Anyway to the Op, another good piece of advise I would give you along with Beruthiel's is to smile, I know it sounds a bit cheesy but In my opinion and my friends who are popular with the ladies there is nothing more attractive in a girl than a warm smile. This along with having a positive outlook on things in front of people, will make you a lot more approachable which can only help your cause.

I would also tell your friends you feel this way I’m sure they will understand and make a point of going out with you more often, just go out looking to have a good time, and don't be worried about meeting someone. Other than that I suppose a change of scenery, sometimes It's easy to get stuck in a rut and you need to give yourself a bit of a kick up the arse in order to change things and make things better, a new job maybe an idea and is a good way of meeting new people, however I don’t know your situation so that might not be best for you. Can I ask why your last relationship broke off? You said you loved the company and fun of him! Anyway best of luck, and keep smiling. I’ve been there and its not nice at all, and the small chance your Jennie, message back:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

I'm fast approaching 25 (quarter of a century) and am getting a little worried too about the fact that I'm single. In fact I have been single since I was 18/19 or so. I really got let down badly. I got involved with a girl over the summer period, and I really enjoyed her company. But once the summer was over that was it, we tried staying in contact but the fact that we lived so far apart was a bit of a problem.

I then found out that she had been with my mate (behind my back).... and to top it off went with his brother. Since then I've had a few encounters, but nothing that lasted long eough to be a relationship.

Now I'm feeling lonely, and somehat annoyed that I'm single for such a long period. I wanna find the woman of my dream, and settle down and have kids and all that.

But there have been other issues, I've been battling with a confused sexuality, and the sort, but I now know am totally straight. And long for nothing more than to marry and be a father. I just haven't yet met that girl, and I fear time is running out and I never will!!!

memphis wrote:
    I'm fast approaching 25 (quarter of a century) and am getting a little worried too about the fact that I'm single. In fact I have been single since I was 18/19 or so. I really got let down badly. I got involved with a girl over the summer period, and I really enjoyed her company. But once the summer was over that was it, we tried staying in contact but the fact that we lived so far apart was a bit of a problem.

I then found out that she had been with my mate (behind my back).... and to top it off went with his brother. Since then I've had a few encounters, but nothing that lasted long eough to be a relationship.

Now I'm feeling lonely, and somehat annoyed that I'm single for such a long period. I wanna find the woman of my dream, and settle down and have kids and all that.

But there have been other issues, I've been battling with a confused sexuality, and the sort, but I now know am totally straight. And long for nothing more than to marry and be a father. I just haven't yet met that girl, and I fear time is running out and I never will!!!

Sounds like that girl aint worth thinking about. Not a pleasant character if she cheats on you and then goes with his bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Exactly. And I suppose that this is the reason that I haven't been eager to jump into a relationship so easily. I tend to back away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

jimbono1 wrote:

Im sorry buts its not Jennie..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You don't say, jimbono1...

Alone wrote:
    Im sorry buts its not Jennie..

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ur-lord

is there any good self esteem, self confidence, art of conversation courses in Dublin anyone can reccomend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

jimbono1 wrote:
    :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:(
    Should have PMd her

Im 20, and i get really lonely sometimes, i have good friends, but i really want to have someone special in my life. it hets me really down sometimes but i just take each day as it comes and hopefully my time will come :)

I think if women played less mind games and let the guys no outright how the feel etc there would be far less single people on this planet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I've been single for over two years, the longer it is, the more you get used to it. However in my experiecne one of the problems meeting a nice guy is jealous friends I am a bit slow, usually takes about two to three weeks to figure things out, however, went to see Carnival Salon in Whelans, they are a brilliant band, I am having a laugh and a nice chat with the lead guitarist however my friend has a major hump, he invited us to a party (YES PLEASE) BUt cos of her moods we dont go. sigh

McGinty wrote:
    I've been single for over two years, the longer it is, the more you get used to it. However in my experiecne one of the problems meeting a nice guy is jealous friends I am a bit slow, usually takes about two to three weeks to figure things out, however, went to see Carnival Salon in Whelans, they are a brilliant band, I am having a laugh and a nice chat with the lead guitarist however my friend has a major hump, he invited us to a party (YES PLEASE) BUt cos of her moods we dont go. sigh

ah jaysus women! :rolleyes:

I've been single for that long too! what ya doin later :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

McGinty wrote:

You should have gone..was your friend single as well?
    If not she was jealous of the attention you were getting..
    If yes she was jealous of the attention you were getting..
    maybe next time they're playing again take a different friend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

memphis wrote:
    I'm fast approaching 25 (quarter of a century) and am getting a little worried too about the fact that I'm single. ...... and I fear time is running out and I never will!!!

Fast approaching 25? Hun, life doesn't suddenly end at 25!! A lot of people these days aren't settling down until they're in their 30's or older and you're only 24!!

Advertisement