Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a basic web site?

Options
  • 26-01-2006 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

I was asked to create and set up a basic website for someone. the problem is i have never bought a proper website .ie or .com etc

What do i need to do, and which hosting company would be the cheapest? It would probably have less than 500 people visiting per month, basic HTML website

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

is it for a company or a club type thing?
    If the latter then you could use free hosting from €ircon or whoever - otherwise go with a decent irish host (you may pay less for hosting overseas but often isn't worth it when support is required!). Check out the hosting forum for a list of loads.
    As for domains, your host (if you are going that route) may offer a reduced price domain. .ie domains are more expensive than .com which are about $10. If you want to register your own .ie then look at www.iedr.ie. If you want to register your own .com/net/etc then try www.godaddy.com

As for the website itself - read through www.w3schools.com for a decent tutorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

kbannon wrote:
    is it for a company or a club type thing?
    If the latter then you could use free hosting from €ircon or whoever - otherwise go with a decent irish host (you may pay less for hosting overseas but often isn't worth it when support is required!). Check out the hosting forum for a list of loads.
    As for domains, your host (if you are going that route) may offer a reduced price domain. .ie domains are more expensive than .com which are about $10. If you want to register your own .ie then look at www.iedr.ie. If you want to register your own .com/net/etc then try www.godaddy.com

As for the website itself - read through www.w3schools.com for a decent tutorial.

I'm ok on the design/html part its just the domain name and hosting, so i have to buy a domain name for the year and pay for hosting for the year also?

Thats it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I guess - apart from search engine optimisation, etc.

kbannon wrote:
    I guess - apart from search engine optimisation, etc.

i doubt he even wants that. how does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I'm ok on the design/html part its just the domain name and hosting, so i have to buy a domain name for the year and pay for hosting for the year also?

Thats it?
    Just go with freehost.ie - servers in Dublin, more than enough space for a small site, will do all you need, and for less than 50 quid for the year, domain & hosting included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

try a free host and see how they work out ...never tryed them my self
    eg: http://www.doteasy.com/

If i register the domain www.andrewwhatever.ie and then pay for hosting with www.freehost.ie will the images/files on the website have the address www.andrewwhatever.ie/image.jpg or will it be www.freehost.ie/whatever/image.jpg

By the way guys, thanks for the help so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

If i register the domain www.andrewwhatever.ie and then pay for hosting with www.freehost.ie will the images/files on the website have the address www.andrewwhatever.ie/image.jpg or will it be www.freehost.ie/whatever/image.jpg
    They'll be at your own address, I'm pretty sure (unless freehost.ie have some weird way of doing things).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

The image files will be at your domain.ie

I have come accross this before, some designers didn't want their clients to know that they were using a freehosting option. I have it set up so that there is no way to tell, even if you do a whois on the nameservers it will show ksoft.biz which is part of Ketec. Freehost is not mentioned at all.

• Advertisement

FreeHost wrote:
    The image files will be at your domain.ie

I have come accross this before, some designers didn't want their clients to know that they were using a freehosting option. I have it set up so that there is no way to tell, even if you do a whois on the nameservers it will show ksoft.biz which is part of Ketec. Freehost is not mentioned at all.

how does it work, i give the hosting company my website address and they redirect the files behind the scenes so it shows up as being hosted on my website?

sorry im new to all this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I use www.doteasy.com for my cheapo hosting. I get 50 megs space or 100 megs if you recommend someone else. For the free hosting you buy the domain name from them at 20 or 25 dollars iirc. No problems so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Novara.ie

how does it work, i give the hosting company my website address and they redirect the files behind the scenes so it shows up as being hosted on my website?

sorry im new to all this :o

With most hosting companies you are givin a control panel or FTP details for you to upload your files.

Whatever hosting company you use, you will need to make sure that your domain is setup on their nameservers so that the domain will be pointing to the correct place where your files are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I wrote a guide to explain this a little. It may help you:
    http://blacknight.ie/howtobuyhosting.0.html

If you are looking for .com + "simple" hosting you should be able to get something from an Irish host for under €50 with "no strings" attached

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

I use Powweb for my sites and have had no problems.

For $7.77 a month you get 10 gigs of daily bandwidth, 12000 mb of space.
    If you get a years subscription they also give you free domain registering and they have a user friendly user control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Personally I have been using Dreamhost for the past couple of months and have found them to be pretty decent. You can get a 12 month plan for $70 (about €60) if you use the coupon TakeFifty. You get a free domain with that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you are new to this "game" you would be better off choosing a provider that you can call and ask questions....

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pixel8

Letshost.ie are the ones i use for my sites these days, cheapest ive come across and they use cPanel which gives you loads of options/addons at the click of a button.
    They are also the cheapest ive seen for .ie domains at only €29 !! Other places charge around the €70 mark for a .ie ! :eek:

Advertisement