Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the WEST so afraid of Islam?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I think it's impotant to show that the Religion of Islam has nothing to do with the new totalitarianism that people are seeing. What people like Irshad Manji are trying to do is show the world that. Any "Muslim" can claim that an act of violance was committed in the name of Islam, doesnt mean the claim is valid. But the media will lap it up, and broadcast it. And suddenly the west has one more thing to fear. But what they dont get is that it's not Islam they fear, it's the media's portrayal of Islam. If they were to question what the media tells them and explore more, they would arrive at more understanding and less fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

larryone wrote:
    I think it's impotant to show that the Religion of Islam has nothing to do with the new totalitarianism that people are seeing. What people like Irshad Manji are trying to do is show the world that. Any "Muslim" can claim that an act of violance was committed in the name of Islam, doesnt mean the claim is valid. But the media will lap it up, and broadcast it. And suddenly the west has one more thing to fear. But what they dont get is that it's not Islam they fear, it's the media's portrayal of Islam. If they were to question what the media tells them and explore more, they would arrive at more understanding and less fear.

Just beacuse the media's portrayal is exaggerated doesn't mean it's completely untrue. No one is trying to say Islam as a whole is something to be afraid of, almost every parent Ive met would be more concerned if their daughter was marrying a Wiccan compared to a Muslim. They're afraid of the fact that people of Islamic faith have used it to justify slaughter of innocent people.

I know how few people are killed percentagewise by terrorists. I know there's much more things to be afraid of to be wasting it on them. However I deplore Muslim philosophies about sex\drugs etc. And to think it might ever get near our politics is something to show Islam is a bad thing overall. Not that I'll ever hold prejudice to someone of Islamic faith. Its just I have time for very few religions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What some people are failing to realise is that this forum is not for you to vent about how you hate a religon (any).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement