Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY guttering

Options
  • 26-01-2006 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi,

I want to do my own guttering, any advice?

TC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi tcoen,

Depending on your choice of product but for most I would recommend setting up a line to fit your brackets to.

Most gutters are capable of working properly when fitted level, a small fall does prevent a build up of dirt over the dry periods which will only help growth when the gutters get wet as opposed to a heavy rainfall.

If you are using pvc make sure to leave the room for expansion and contraction at the joints, most come pre-marked so take your time, if possible use a staging or scaffold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

Hi all

Sorry to hijack this post but I have just purchased some Marley guttering and plan to install same soon.

Do the offsets (spigots and sockets I think they are called) need to be solvent welded to the gutter outlet and the downpipe or do they just sit in place.

Sorry again for hijack!!!

Fredser

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Fredser,

I take it you mean the off set from the drop nozzle to the downpipe ?

The pipe will fit and appear to be a tight fit but they do come apart if PVA solvent (aka wavin weld, tangit etc) is not used to hold the off set in place.

They are a strange detail in that they can be very difficult to refit when they come apart but can fall out again in the next wind without any problem.

Sorry, yes I weld the joints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

Thanks Pete : Twas indeed the offset from the drop nozzle to the downpipe that I was enquiring about.

Back to the original poster, as I mentioned I am in the process of replacing some old guttering and have invested in some Marley guttering and downpipes. The lengths of gutter fit together neatly with the help of the rubber seals and the clips.

Have fun...

Fredser

Advertisement